Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2008 | 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
They are not 40k cars. They are about the same price as the last evos if you get them with the same junk equipment the last ones came with. That said, I am not quoting brochures or anything like that. I never said that I know anything more about the car simply because I own it either. The car has been tested and performs on a circuit track better than the 8 and 9...that is a fact. I never said anything about engine's potential compared to the 4G63 (like i said though, it isn't a drag car). You seem to have pulled more out of my quote than anything. It also doesn't bother me that one reviewer thinks that the new STI is better...good for him. This car just came out and is only now proving itself, to early to call it junk. You are welcome to though if you want....don't assume I care..that would be a low blow.
Wrong, the IX outperformed both the SST X and the GSR on the track (and 1/4). Don't know where you're pulling your info from but all someone has to do is post up that youtube link of the IX absolutely dominating it. I will give credit to the X though as it does put out higher skidpad numbers and grips impressively, it just doesn't make up for it's added mass.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

they also did a mountain road, track test on evo x vs new sti, and also threw in the 06 sti and evo9, for both courses, the evo 9 and 06 sti was faster, then the new sti, then the evo x. i heard the handling on evo X is not as good as they said it would be
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
Wrong, the IX outperformed both the SST X and the GSR on the track (and 1/4). Don't know where you're pulling your info from but all someone has to do is post up that youtube link of the IX absolutely dominating it. I will give credit to the X though as it does put out higher skidpad numbers and grips impressively, it just doesn't make up for it's added mass.
The 9 out performed the X on the 1/4 of a mile. I have not seen any info on the 9 beating the X on the race track. Most of the reviews are putting down better skid pad numbers, grip, and handling for the X...meaning that equal skilled drivers the X has the advantage. It even stops faster. the different feel and technology of the car has to make the driver adjust to it. I think the big problem is that a lot of drivers are trying to drive the X like it is the 9.

the only video where the X lost to those was one Japanese video, I think motortrend favored the 9 actually. Like this review....there is always that one. How many track test these cars. Not many, everyone is to obsessed with comparing the new sti vs the X.

Last edited by love9sick; May 14, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

The 9 out performed the X on the 1/4 of a mile. I have not seen any info on the 9 beating the X on the race track. In fact all the reviews are putting down better skid pad numbers, grip, and handling for the X...meaning that equal skilled drivers the X has the advantage. It even stops faster.
Negative. You, my friend have been hiding under a rock. This video with some of the best drivers you can find . You are correct about the numbers though, but they prove little when you're comparing it to a car that's also a very capable track machine with 400lbs less of heft to carry around, meaning all those very minor "advantages" aren't nearly enough .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vgk2Aw-Vo2Q

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; May 14, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

From Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...ticleId=124209)

Here are its numbers:

EVO X
0-30 mph: 1.7 seconds
0-45 mph: 3.1 seconds
0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds
0-75 mph: 7.2 seconds
Quarter-mile: 13.6 seconds at 101.3 mph

30-0 mph: 28 feet
60-0 mph: 112 feet

600-foot slalom: 70.7 mph
200-foot skid pad: 0.99g

EVO IX
0-30 mph: 1.8 seconds
0-45 mph: 3.3 seconds
0-75 mph: 7.4 seconds
Quarter-mile: 13.3 seconds at 103 mph

30-0 mph: 28.6 feet
60-0 mph: 115.8 feet

200-foot skid pad: 0.93g

Comparison between EVOX GSR, MR and 08 STI (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=4)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR, 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
0-60 mph acceleration, sec. 4.9, 5.2, 4.5
Quarter-mile acceleration, sec. 13.6, 13.9, 13.3
Quarter-mile speed, mph 101.3, 98.8, 100.3
60-0-mph braking, feet 112, 111, 112
Lateral Acceleration, g 0.99, 0.96, 0.90
600-ft slalom, mph 70.7, 68.8, 70.2

Lap times:
#1: Evo IX MR — 1:31.89
#2: Evo MR — 1:32.42
#3: Evo GSR — 1:32.51
#4: WRX STI — 1:32.68
I will add this is the closest I have seen the 08 STi to the EVO X..Willow must reward understeer.

So the X has the IX covered until over 75 which could be gearing but likely wieght. Seems the X has 50 whp waiting from just a simple tune and would cut into much of the advantage of the IX. IF you have not actually driven the new Subarus, then you cannot appreciate how much body roll and understeer they have. Horrible compared to the X.

The fact is you can't buy a new IX now but you can the X. IT is a great car and not really far off the IX in stock form. Most of the shops feel it has more potential than the IX for those that like to mod.

The reality check is that if you really want to go to the track, none of these are proper race cars....even the IX. On most tracks, a 125cc racing go-kart would beat any of these cars, let alone a proper race car. If you want a race car buy one but don't pretend your mass production street car is one.

Last edited by jimm; May 14, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jimm
From Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...ticleId=124209)

Here are its numbers:

EVO X
0-30 mph: 1.7 seconds
0-45 mph: 3.1 seconds
0-75 mph: 7.2 seconds
Quarter-mile: 13.6 seconds at 101.3 mph

30-0 mph: 28 feet
60-0 mph: 112 feet

200-foot skid pad: 0.99g

EVO IV
0-30 mph: 1.8 seconds
0-45 mph: 3.3 seconds
0-75 mph: 7.4 seconds
Quarter-mile: 13.3 seconds at 103 mph

30-0 mph: 28.6 feet
60-0 mph: 115.8 feet

200-foot skid pad: 0.93g

Comparison between EVOX GSR, MR and 08 STI (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...6/pageNumber=4)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR, 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR, 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
0-60 mph acceleration, sec. 4.9, 5.2, 4.5
Quarter-mile acceleration, sec. 13.6, 13.9, 13.3
Quarter-mile speed, mph 101.3, 98.8, 100.3
60-0-mph braking, feet 112, 111, 112
Lateral Acceleration, g 0.99, 0.96, 0.90
600-ft slalom, mph 70.7, 68.8, 70.2

Lap times:
#1: Evo IX MR — 1:31.89
#2: Evo MR — 1:32.42
#3: Evo GSR — 1:32.51
#4: WRX STI — 1:32.68
I will add this is the closest I have seen the 08 STi to the EVO X..Willow must reward understeer.

So the X has the IX covered until over 75 which could be gearing but likely wieght. Seems the X has 50 whp waiting from just a simple tune and would cut into much of the advantage of the IX. IF you have not actually driven the new Subarus, then you cannot appreciate how much body roll and understeer they have. Horrible compared to the X.

The fact is you can't buy a new IX now but you can the X. IT is a great car and not really far off the IX in stock form. Most of the shops feel it has more potential than the IX for those that like to mod.

The reality check is that if you really want to go to the track, none of these are proper race cars....even the IX. On most tracks, a 125cc racing go-kart would beat any of these cars, let alone a proper race car. If you want a race car buy one but don't pretend your mass production street car is one.
Now when you factor in a tune for the X you must also factor one for the IX lol. And if you checked out the vid, the gap would get bigger. And IX's on average get about 40-50WHP just from a tune. Also, why'd you post numbers of an Evo IV?
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

And IX's on average get about 40-50WHP just from a tune.
So does the X. Whatever gap there is it would keep it the same. The 9 though, unlike the X didn't come with a horribly rich tune out of factory. I think a tune is a necessity on the X as much as putting gas into it.

Last edited by love9sick; May 14, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

The 9 out performed the X on the 1/4 of a mile. I have not seen any info on the 9 beating the X on the race track. Most of the reviews are putting down better skid pad numbers, grip, and handling for the X...meaning that equal skilled drivers the X has the advantage. It even stops faster. the different feel and technology of the car has to make the driver adjust to it. I think the big problem is that a lot of drivers are trying to drive the X like it is the 9.

the only video where the X lost to those was one Japanese video, I think motortrend favored the 9 actually. Like this review....there is always that one. How many track test these cars. Not many, everyone is to obsessed with comparing the new sti vs the X.
So now you have seen info, or even better, visuals of the IX stomping the X around the track. There is no problem here as those guys are the best damn drivers in the world, and what they do for a living. Please don't say they're driving the car wrong lol, or trying to drive it like something else cause that would implicate driver error, which if you have eyes would know that's not the case here .
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Now when you factor in a tune for the X you must also factor one for the IX lol. And if you checked out the vid, the gap would get bigger. And IX's on average get about 40-50WHP just from a tune. Also, why'd you post numbers of an Evo IV?

oops...the I was doing a cut and paste and just filled in the lables. It is supposed to be a IX. Not great at Roman numbers I guess. I will fix it.

BTW, some of the weight can be lost from loosing the sound system etc. If you really wanted to loose the 400lbs then you could probably loose some of the sound insulation etc. If you race prepare both, I think they will be close enough to allow the driver to make the difference....especially professional drivers against most that just do weekend track meets. Lewis Hamilton could beat most of us with the Lancer GTS.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

So does the X. Whatever gap there is it would keep it the same. The 9 though, unlike the X didn't come with a horribly rich tune out of factory. I think a tune is a necessity on the X as much as putting gas into it.
I know. Never said they didn't. I just love how that guy was trying to compare a tuned X to a stock IX to make up for it at the track.

P.S. I also like how you edited you're statement from the gap would stay the same therefore acknowledging the IX is faster on a road course to "whatever the gap may be" lol. And now tunes are a necessity huh? Go tell that to Mitsu when you break a part on your car because it's making more than it did from the factory and see how quick that warranty goes poof.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; May 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

I know. Never said they didn't. I just love how that guy was trying to compare a tuned X to a stock IX to make up for it at the track.
well since I am "that guy" this was the issue I was point out.

The fact it has more grip to me says if stripped and prepared for as a real racing car the X would be better....Probably only need to loose half the weight advantage to really make it close.

Last edited by jimm; May 14, 2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

The Evolution IS a race car, silly! You didn't know that?

I don't even think Mitsubishi HAS a WRC race Evolution, do they?

PS, Ariel Atom>ALL
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
The Evolution IS a race car, silly! You didn't know that?

I don't even think Mitsubishi HAS a WRC race Evolution, do they?

PS, Ariel Atom>ALL
LOL Nope....Really, the production versions were not that close even when they did.

I hope Mistubishi gets back on thier feet where they feel they can compete again.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Its almost comical how long this debate has been going on for lol. I've owned both an Evo and a STI and people were spending countless hours argueing the pro's and cons before I owned either. The fact of the matter is they are both DAMN close. So close in fact that how the driver was feeling on the day of the test drive could make the difference between which car "performed better" on that particular test. I mean its been argued time and time again how Car A was .1 seconds faster on test A and how car B was half a second faster on the 2 mile loop around track _____ but seriously I would bet that almost no one argueing these points can really utilize these cars to their FULL potencial let alone actually go to said tracks and do it even semi frequently. So I know this post will probly get flamed all to hell and back but if you really think about it this whole debate for 99.9% of STI and Evo owners is irrelavant.
Old May 14, 2008 | 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

well since I am "that guy" this was the issue I was point out.

The fact it has more grip to me says if stripped and prepared for as a real racing car the X would be better....Probably only need to loose half the weight advantage to really make it close.
now strip what you did off the X, off the IX to keep all equal and it will still have a weight advantage (or disadvantage). See how that argument can never end. What you are doing is called speculating, which has no answers. By saying doing this and that to the X should make it quicker without actually doing it or have seen it done yet by anyone else is ridiculous. The mod argument can go on, and on. You can take Hyundai and make it handle like it's on rails if you have the dough and rape anything on the track. But what happens is by the time you're done with it to get to that level, is it still a hyundai? Not really since you've most likely replaced every god damn thing on the car or stripped it out and reinforced the chassis and welded sh*t to make it a freak. That's why we are talking about stock cars here. Where even the impressive numbers of the X still don't make it faster than the IX as you are wrong for saying so (love9). Stock for stock on the track the IX is still the superior car regardless of whatever kind of track you are talking about, bottom line.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; May 15, 2008 at 01:36 AM.

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!