Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008 | 02:52 PM

I've heard of selective hearing but selective reading? Talon Tuner your on an evo fanboy site...go to dsmtuners or whatever the hell you piddle around.....its been addressed to stay on topic soooo....yea lets do that...kthx
Old May 15, 2008 | 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Lol. Awesome how corporate branding and advertising has worked. I like both the evo and Sti. Magazine bench racing is usually a poor choice in picking a vehicle for yourself, it's just good for people to talk about at the water cooler or whatever.
I mean, the 2.5 turbo subaru "world" motor got international 2.0-2.5 displacement engine of the year again accolade from Automotive magazine.
That is retarded. Because
A) the jdm 2.0 spanks the 2.5 we get
b) this is also the same magazine that gave the rx8 rotary engine of the year before
and c) i believe the 4b11 is a better motor, despite being new this year

People have favorites and *gasp* writers aren't subjective.. just make sure to form your own opinion in the end

Sry I had to post something else after seeing the last part of your post...

And the owners of both are a bunch of whiney little sissies, who do "photoshoots" on a regular basis, and see an STi driving down the road and think "thats my arch rival!". That should settle any further arguments.[/quote]

so when you see a corolla your like "O SNAP DAWG, ILL SHOW HIM WHATS UP WITH MUH CIVIC WITH CUSTOM INTAKE FROM AUTOZONE NUUCCCCAAAA!"
Evolved Member

OK...I asked nicely, now I am telling. Stay on topic, ditch the petty wars.
Old May 15, 2008 | 02:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by MrAWD
If that would be true then most people wouldn't buy EVOs in the first place next to the much better daily drivers that are more comfortable, make better gas mileage, and still fun to drive! I believe that most of the guys do buy EVOs and STIs for this matter just because they are great race car ad do great at the track!

Fedja
All the Evo owners I have met in real life, people that are interested in Evos, and almost every single person here in Evo M, except maybe Ambystom, like the Evo and bought the Evo almost solely for it's performance. That just means that Evo owners and enthusiast are more likely to be interested in handling and power above all else compared to Subaru fans and most other fans of cars.
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

I think many people are just choosing the STI cause they are so mad at mitsu for taking the "EVO" out of the EVO X...

MItsu had no choice its their only remaining respected name plate .. i am sure corporate demanded that they take it mass market to try and save the company from doom.. They figured its ok too loose some few EVO loyalists if they can get some other people to buy in...

The subi STI is ugly but they made sure that they gave it good power and feel... THe only things it has over the EVO x but the main thing EVO lovers wanted...LOL
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

In Which This Totally Proves Mitsubishi's Theory...we Have To Make It Slower Stock So They Can Keep Up. Look, Their Already Using Our Turbos.
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I disagree, people buy cars like the STI and the evo because they're fine to drive in a lot of conditions including on the street.
Why buy the Evo or STI at all if they can just buy a Civic? Civics are much better to drive in a lot of conditions including on the street. They are more comfortable, use less gas, cheaper price, easier to maintain, attract less unwanted attention, and lower insurance. The type of people you think Evo/STI owners are the minority according to my experience. Evos and STI are simply not for potential Civic/economy car drivers or luxury car customers.

I suspect that as far as a percentage is concerned, very few STI or evo drivers actually track their cars in anything other than casual conditions. It's no different than corvette or viper owners, I doubt most actually use all the power their cars make, they're perfectly just cruising around town.
This applies to like 99 percent of all cars made throughout all of car history. Only all out race cars are used for their purpose all the time.

Last edited by VincentX; May 15, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
I think many people are just choosing the STI cause they are so mad at mitsu for taking the "EVO" out of the EVO X...

MItsu had no choice its their only remaining respected name plate .. i am sure corporate demanded that they take it mass market to try and save the company from doom.. They figured its ok too loose some few EVO loyalists if they can get some other people to buy in...

The subi STI is ugly but they made sure that they gave it good power and feel... THe only things it has over the EVO x but the main thing EVO lovers wanted...LOL

If by "feel' you mean tons of body roll and pushing like a hand cart then, yes the new WRX and STi have great feel. Another reason I think this test is questionable. Everyone that has driven both cars (I have BTW) will tell you that the new Subarus in stock form have huge suspension issues....None that $1K in rollbars, springs and endlinks won't mostly cure (will not help the more numb steering though), but there none the less. If you have an EVO, you can get a reflash for cheaper and will already have a handling advantage over the STi. Add to that the STi is more expensive and for less money you are faster and better off with the EVO.

There is a guy at a shop I know that has both and with a little work and stock turbos they run the exact same 1/4 with the same driver (12.2 @110-112). I imagine on track it may be different but don't know because i have not driven a new Subaru without the stock suspension....with the stock it does not want to turn and you worry about scrapping the outside mirrors on the ground
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Who cares
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:21 PM

I've always been a fan of both cars actually. As far as performance, I'm not surprised that they are so close.... but come on, it's a hatch back! That looks horrible. I think they made the STi just look way too tame in this version. The agressive look of the car is gone. The choice of one of these cars over the other is and has always been (since 03) based more on gut feeling than numbers. I just seem to enjoy the Evo more. I can't explain it, but there it is Not all Evo owners are touchy about Subaru's, but it's the only car that is a direct Evo rival. Just based on that, it makes it fun to overanalyze the differnces between them. It's like Camaro VS Mustang, but with the ability to turn a corner
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

This thread has become retarded. It needs to be closed.
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRedition05
I've always been a fan of both cars actually. As far as performance, I'm not surprised that they are so close.... but come on, it's a hatch back! That looks horrible. I think they made the STi just look way too tame in this version. The agressive look of the car is gone. The choice of one of these cars over the other is and has always been (since 03) based more on gut feeling than numbers. I just seem to enjoy the Evo more. I can't explain it, but there it is Not all Evo owners are touchy about Subaru's, but it's the only car that is a direct Evo rival. Just based on that, it makes it fun to overanalyze the differnces between them. It's like Camaro VS Mustang, but with the ability to turn a corner
The cars are so different now, I wonder if it feel as natural to compare them had they both been brand new models this year?
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
Why buy the Evo or STI at all if they can just buy a Civic? Civics are much better to drive in a lot of conditions including on the street. They are more comfortable, use less gas, cheaper price, easier to maintain, attract less unwanted attention, and lower insurance. The type of people you think Evo/STI owners are the minority according to my experience. Evos and STI are simply not for potential Civic/economy car drivers or luxury car customers.

This applies to like 99 percent of all cars made throughout all of car history. Only all out race cars are used for their purpose all the time.
Again I disagree, the vast majority of the people I have met did not buy either car (evo or STI) with the sole purpose of buying a race car. This does not mean they want a civic or some other fuel efficient car. I know a civic would be more fuel efficient than my car but I don't care, I simply enjoy driving mine. I don't need to be going 10/10 at a race track to know that. I'm perfectly happy cruising along the highway or through the city occasionally opening up just because I want to. Something to remember, the people on this forum do not necessarily represent the norm, only a specific kind of owner would go to the length of hunting down a forum in order to discuss modding/driving their cars. Wanting a performance car does not mean you want to become a racer, it simply means you want a performance car.
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well, it does look better.

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!