Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008 | 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

when did the UK STI get the EJ25? i thought they were ltd to the EJ20 or was that japan only rules???
Old May 15, 2008 | 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by housedj
when did the UK STI get the EJ25? i thought they were ltd to the EJ20 or was that japan only rules???
Starting in 2006, only JDM STIs are equipped with the EJ207. The rest of the world gets the EJ257.
Old May 15, 2008 | 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Again I disagree, the vast majority of the people I have met did not buy either car (evo or STI) with the sole purpose of buying a race car. This does not mean they want a civic or some other fuel efficient car. I know a civic would be more fuel efficient than my car but I don't care, I simply enjoy driving mine.
I agree that I don't want a race car. I am being careful not to sacrifice too much streetability as I upgrade my car. Comparing either of these cars is more preference than hard numbers. Comparing either of these cars to a Civic is even more insane. I do have a couple issues with this thread though. This is 2008 STi vs Evo X. How are we talking about IXs and DSMs? And since when did two grown men swordfighting become stupid? That's how stuff got settled back in the day. Not that someone with a Talon would care though, he's too advanced for any of our propaganda. I mean why ask anyone who drives these cars how they feel?
Old May 15, 2008 | 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I'm sorry, but this statement is just idiotic. The 9 has acd, MIVEC, ABS, how many differentials and you think it's a "driver's car" . Add S-AWC and the X drives itself. Obviously the real "driver's car" is the 8 since it had an open front diff.

It's funny that we here in the States always complained that we didn't get the goodies from the JDM Evo and now that we do, we complain the car drives itself. I can understand why someone wouldn't like the X because of it's looks or slightly worse stearing feel, but the absurdity posted on here just makes me laugh. I wonder how many people have actually driven a X?

BTW, if you want a real "driver's car" go get a 60s muscle car. It took great skill to make those things go around the track fast. Of course, a new Accord V6 would beat them, even carrying a passenger, but you're looking for a "driver's car".
im glad u wrote this cuz you are a complete idiot. dont take what other people have said and use them against me. i never said i wanted any of the jdm goodies like AYC.

and maybe if you read the reviews and drive BOTH CARS like I HAVE.... I see you dont have an X nor do you even have an IX so how about you try one then you would have a clue to what i am talking about. the evo ix is way more raw of a car then the X. and thats what i mean by a drivers car. less chances for mistakes in the X less skill to drive less of a drivers car. so how about you get your facts straight maybe drive one of the 2 cars your comparing and come back.
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Again I disagree, the vast majority of the people I have met did not buy either car (evo or STI) with the sole purpose of buying a race car.
I did not say they bought them for the sole purpose of actually racing them. What I meant was that they bought them mainly because of the idea that they are great performers, even though that most of them will not use them at their full potential at the road course or even at the drag strip, which is more likely.

I'm attracted to Evos because they perform awesomely and also their high potential of becoming track monsters when you start modding them. If I have one I will definitely track it as much as possible, within a budget of course.

This does not mean they want a civic or some other fuel efficient car.
Why? According to your logic the Civic is superior.

I know a civic would be more fuel efficient than my car but I don't care, I simply enjoy driving mine.
That's the reason why Evo and STI owners bought their cars of choice, because they are fun and that fun is derived from their high performance.

I don't need to be going 10/10 at a race track to know that. I'm perfectly happy cruising along the highway or through the city occasionally opening up just because I want to.
That's fine with me.

Something to remember, the people on this forum do not necessarily represent the norm, only a specific kind of owner would go to the length of hunting down a forum in order to discuss modding/driving their cars.
Well, I live in California, SoCal to be specific. We have the highest concentration of Evos in all of the U.S. You live in Canada where Evos are almost non-existent. We also have lot more STIs than Evos here too. My word is stronger than your's when it comes to saying what kind of person an Evo enthusiast is. There are a lot of shops all over this state that specialize in making cars faster. If you have read many Import/Domestic/Euro tuning mags, California has a ton of tuning shops. I do agree that most Evos are not modded or barely modded, though

[/QUOTE]Wanting a performance car does not mean you want to become a racer, it simply means you want a performance car.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That's what I've been trying to say.

Last edited by VincentX; May 15, 2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Paikman GTR
Lol. Awesome how corporate branding and advertising has worked. I like both the evo and Sti. Magazine bench racing is usually a poor choice in picking a vehicle for yourself, it's just good for people to talk about at the water cooler or whatever.
I mean, the 2.5 turbo subaru "world" motor got international 2.0-2.5 displacement engine of the year again accolade from Automotive magazine.
That is retarded. Because
A) the jdm 2.0 spanks the 2.5 we get
b) this is also the same magazine that gave the rx8 rotary engine of the year before
and c) i believe the 4b11 is a better motor, despite being new this year

People have favorites and *gasp* writers aren't subjective.. just make sure to form your own opinion in the end
a) Yes, the EJ20 has proven to be more durable than the EJ25. But that is what we get, so we should be happy, right?

b) I cannot confirm nor deny this fact, as I don't pick up the magazine at all. I'll sooner read Top Gear, Car and Driver, Road and Track, Automobile, ect. But most any "import" rag is trash and won't give decent info anyhow (Import Tuner, DSPort, Super Weak, Modified, ect.ect.). These magazines know that Evo guys spend money and are one of their major target audiences. Manufactuers are paying top dollar to the publishers, which in turn, feature their products and will NEVER talk bad about them, nor about the vehicle the product is made for. The Evolution X is a cash cow they plan on milking, so who cares if the car is/will be/isn't junk. People will spend money either way.

c) What evidence do you have which makes you believe this?
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

From: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Ride927
im glad u wrote this cuz you are a complete idiot. dont take what other people have said and use them against me. i never said i wanted any of the jdm goodies like AYC.

and maybe if you read the reviews and drive BOTH CARS like I HAVE.... I see you dont have an X nor do you even have an IX so how about you try one then you would have a clue to what i am talking about. the evo ix is way more raw of a car then the X. and thats what i mean by a drivers car. less chances for mistakes in the X less skill to drive less of a drivers car. so how about you get your facts straight maybe drive one of the 2 cars your comparing and come back.
I'm sorry that logic and intellect escape you. My point was very simple, if "raw" is what you're after because it makes a car a "drivers car", there are better choices than an awd super car with more acronyms than the government. You're obviously very young to have such a shallow perspective.

Keep reading all those magazines because that's what makes you so smart.
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRedition05
This is 2008 STi vs Evo X. How are we talking about IXs and DSMs? And since when did two grown men swordfighting become stupid? That's how stuff got settled back in the day. Not that someone with a Talon would care though, he's too advanced for any of our propaganda. I mean why ask anyone who drives these cars how they feel?

Why is everybody's panties getting all tangled? First off, if you actually read the first post on page number one, the author of the article mentions the IX, and the comparison between it and the X. So this makes it relevant to the topic.

And in terms of driving a Talon, I don't know if you realize that up untill this year and the release of the Evolution X, DSMs and Evolutions bear the same engine code. I know some of the popular vendors on this forum would like you to believe that we are completely different and our cars are irrelivant, but I believe otherwise.

And I've been behind the wheel of plenty of Evolutions, thanks!
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
a) Yes, the EJ20 has proven to be more durable than the EJ25. But that is what we get, so we should be happy, right?
Just an FYI, the 2.5 block is the upgrade of choice around the world now. Not that either is better or worse, but the more popular choice is the 2.5.
Old May 15, 2008 | 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

The review is just one guys opinion. When I went to look at both these cars I personally was leaning towards getting the Subie until I drove both. I enjoyed driving the EVO much more. The STI felt more like my S60R Volvo. Im sure the subie would spank my volvo, but it felt soft like my R. The EVO definitely had more of an EDGE to the handling. Its just an opinion. There is bound to be a few mags that pick the Subie its a dam nice car. I would bet a driver of a STI or an EVO both have a smile on their faces as they go down a nice twistie road. (To bad the subie will always be behind!)
Old May 15, 2008 | 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
I'll sooner read Top Gear
Good. Can't wait, Cause Jeremy Jackson has so far been licking the ***** of the EVO X. He loves it. Top Gear will have nothing but good thinks to say about the EVO X because that is what the car is...a very good performance car. Not only still being a fast evo like the predecessors but now also increasing the ride comfort.
Old May 15, 2008 | 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
I'm sorry that logic and intellect escape you. My point was very simple, if "raw" is what you're after because it makes a car a "drivers car", there are better choices than an awd super car with more acronyms than the government. You're obviously very young to have such a shallow perspective.

Keep reading all those magazines because that's what makes you so smart.
wow you must not know how to read! I just said i have driven both cars... i dont need a magazine to tell me about the car when i can go out and do it myself...

you are not one to talk because like i said go out and drive either one of them since you dont even own one and find out yourself. and that raw statement was comparing the 2 evos not any other cars so if you think that the new evo x is more of a raw style/power car you are a dumbass but guess what its ok because you wouldn't know because you have never driven either one. so who's the one that just reading reviews now
Old May 15, 2008 | 07:04 PM
Account Disabled

wow you must not know how to read! I just said i have driven both cars... i dont need a magazine to tell me about the car when i can go out and do it myself...

you are not one to talk because like i said go out and drive either one of them since you dont even own one and find out yourself. and that raw statement was comparing the 2 evos not any other cars so if you think that the new evo x is more of a raw style/power car you are a dumbass but guess what its ok because you wouldn't know because you have never driven either one. so who's the one that just reading reviews now
You do know that he has a 2003 Evo 8, right? That is the most RAW USDM Evo. It does not have a front LSD, ACD, and MIVEC like your IX does. His 03 Evo 8 takes more skill to make fast. Compared to your car your car drives itself. It is also lighter than the IX. This guy has been around longer than you and had an Evo ever since it came out here in the states. He knows better than you.
Old May 15, 2008 | 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said, you're obviously very young. Try signing up for the Critical Thinking class next semester. You'll be the better for it, I promise.

Very funny Vincent. Unfortunately, our little friend doesn't get it. I guess he's into post 2005 "rawness".
Old May 15, 2008 | 08:02 PM

This is turning into a family feud...

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!