Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Adjusting SSS Headlights

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adjusting SSS Headlights

Does anyone have any idea how to adjust the leveling manually on the SSS headlights? Mine seem to be really off. One pointing at the sky the other at the ground when i came from factory. I was taking a look behind the headlight and I suspect its the white hex knob but I just wanted to be sure. Anyone else done this yet? Pics would be great too. Thanks!
Old May 24, 2008, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have also noticed this. im investigating tomorrow if you can wait that long, if not, then post up after u do it and let me know.

-Foo
Old May 24, 2008, 07:44 PM
Account Disabled

i noticed that mine aren't completely even either. jeez
Old May 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

They are this way on purpose. The left side is "dipped" so that it doesn't shine into oncoming traffic's eyes. The Evo X is the first car with manual height adjustable HID's that I've had that aren't too low even on their highest setting. My Evo VIII, '07 STI, and '08 STI have all been set way too low from the factory, but my X is perfect.

That said, the proper adjuster is usually a set of metal gears that mesh with each other. If you don't know that's what they're for you would never guess, and likely mess around with knobs and screws that are not for that purpose. You put a Phillips-head screwdriver down into the teeth and turn it to adjust the lights. For pics, search the VIII & IX forums to see how theirs worked - most likely the X is similar.
Old May 25, 2008, 12:33 PM

thanks jwa.
Old May 26, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JWA
They are this way on purpose. The left side is "dipped" so that it doesn't shine into oncoming traffic's eyes. The Evo X is the first car with manual height adjustable HID's that I've had that aren't too low even on their highest setting. My Evo VIII, '07 STI, and '08 STI have all been set way too low from the factory, but my X is perfect.

That said, the proper adjuster is usually a set of metal gears that mesh with each other. If you don't know that's what they're for you would never guess, and likely mess around with knobs and screws that are not for that purpose. You put a Phillips-head screwdriver down into the teeth and turn it to adjust the lights. For pics, search the VIII & IX forums to see how theirs worked - most likely the X is similar.
The x isn't this way or I would've adjusted them already
Old May 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JWA

i tried to adjust mine as well, but theres no adjustment. I want mine to point a little higher
Old May 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R0ME0
The x isn't this way or I would've adjusted them already
I just looked at them and no obvious adjustment mechanism jumps out at me. We're going to have to find someone with the shop manual to figure it out.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:12 PM

I thought I read something about them auto-adjusting on their own, but this could be a sleep-deprived delusion...
Old May 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Man this sux! Does no one know?