Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The scalpel and the chainsaw (Or my Evo X and '08 STI)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to jwa

thanks for all the detail, it has been really helpful. it sounds like you have driven a lot of cars...i've got a 2004 911 turbo and am looking at a x or 08 sti for a daily driver, which do you think compares the best?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JWA
Yesterday while driving I realized an amazing thing about the Evo X: I do not have any squeaks or rattles anywhere in the car. That's amazing, actually. I've owned Porsches, BMWs, Lotuses, etc. and they ALL have had some squeaks here and there. The STI sure does, though less than the '07 did. This is the first car I've ever run across that doesn't have any to start with. That has to be a statement about the materials they've used and how well the thing is put together.
Wait about a month or two. A couple squeaks will rear it's ugly head. I've got a real minor squeak behind the passenger side right rear. And another in the front passenger dash. Nothing too annoying. I've got a 05 Acura TL that has more squeaks than this car. I've gotta get down and dirty and figure out where the squeaks are coming from. However, I don't consider it too bad where I've set aside time to resolve this issue.

Anyways, thank you for a unbiased and thoroughly thought out review. A lot of what you've spoken about the two cars is exactly what I thought.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lewvsal
thanks for all the detail, it has been really helpful. it sounds like you have driven a lot of cars...i've got a 2004 911 turbo and am looking at a x or 08 sti for a daily driver, which do you think compares the best?
I know this is for the OP to answer. But have you driven either of the two cars? You should give both of them a go. From my opinion the 08STi would probably resemble the 911 Turbo the closest. Boxer to boxer it'll have 'almost' the same engine note and characteristics when comparing it to the inline-4. Even though the 04 911 has a sterile looking interior, looking at the build materials in the STi...it'll come closest. I would say visit your local Mitsu and Suby dealership and ask for test drive. After that post up your own opinion...I'd like to see how the three cars compare.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 05:25 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lewvsal
It has been a couple years since I've driven a 996 Turbo, but I would say that the Evo has more similar power delivery and road feel. I'd disagree with the post above about engine similarities, as the flat-six is a lot different from the flat-four. I suppose the feel is slightly similar, but where the Evo's is more of a HP car with the power higher in the rev band and it likes to be revved, the STI is more of a torque car. The 996T is somewhere in-between, but closer to the HP feeling of the Evo. So, I'd say that the Evo X is more similar in road feel to the 996 Turbo than the '08 STI.

Will you be keeping the 911 and using the Evo or STI as a daily driver companion to it? If so, I'd think that the STI would be a better choice. It offers way more utility and would give you another side of the performance coin to experience. You should go drive both of them (everyone should), but you can't go wrong either way.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shyong
Wait about a month or two. A couple squeaks will rear it's ugly head.
I haven't had either of those that you described, but I have picked up a slight audible vibration that comes through the shift lever when you are under part throttle in fifth gear - such as cruising down the highway. Even the lightest weight on the shifter is enough to dampen it. I have to figure out how ot take care of it.

Originally Posted by shyong
Anyways, thank you for a unbiased and thoroughly thought out review. A lot of what you've spoken about the two cars is exactly what I thought.
No problem - I'm glad that some people have enjoyed it.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

I wish that they would make the hatch version of the Evo X soon. Having a hatch/wagon is one of the reasons that I've kept a hold of my '02 WRX wagon. The other is the fact that the utility goes hand in hand with the cool rally car look and added structural rigidity. I will wait for a Evo X hatch I guess. I miss driving an Evo though. I used to own a '00 BMW M Coupe. That was a cool handling hatch with a lot of personality. What bimmers did you have and how do you think they compare to your cars?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:51 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I will wait for a Evo X hatch I guess. I miss driving an Evo though. I used to own a '00 BMW M Coupe. That was a cool handling hatch with a lot of personality. What bimmers did you have and how do you think they compare to your cars?
For now the word on the sportback/wagon version is that it is only going to be offered in base and RalliArt trims.

Actually, the BMW that I owned was a '99 M Coupe. That was a cool car. I'd say that it was more like the STI, with the stiff chassis and great torquey power. Kind of had that more upright feeling with a bit more body roll like the STI as well. I always said that while it wasn't neccesarily good looking, it was interesting, which also applies to the STI. That was a great car. The more modern Evo and STI are both big steps up performance-wise, but it was a lot of fun.

Your location says you're in Afghanistan - you in the service? Keep up the good work, and stay safe!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JWA
For now the word on the sportback/wagon version is that it is only going to be offered in base and RalliArt trims.

Actually, the BMW that I owned was a '99 M Coupe. That was a cool car. I'd say that it was more like the STI, with the stiff chassis and great torquey power. Kind of had that more upright feeling with a bit more body roll like the STI as well. I always said that while it wasn't neccesarily good looking, it was interesting, which also applies to the STI. That was a great car. The more modern Evo and STI are both big steps up performance-wise, but it was a lot of fun.

Your location says you're in Afghanistan - you in the service? Keep up the good work, and stay safe!
I liked my "scalpel and chainsaw" too. Here is my old stable.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here's my old M Coupe that used to accompany the suby before I had the Evo. It's my favorite car that I've ever owned. I wish I would have kept it. I fixed the handling issue with some Koni's and H&R's and Ireland Engineering subframe bushings...then I found that wonderful subframe issue. It was still down on power compared to the Evo IX with the Vishnu V400 package.
[IMG][/IMG]

Yep, I'm out here in Afghanistan for a little while longer. We (the Marines of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit) are coming home soon. We've removed around 400 Taliban from this world... rest assured they are burning in hell right now. Here's a picture of me (on the right) with my crew and the aircraft that tried to kill us all when it decided to break a pitch varying arm (the dynamic component that controls the pitch of the blade) on us at 1,500 feet above the ground. We had 10 Marines in the back and for some, it was their first ride in a helicopter...they won't forget that ride any time soon. This old bird was born on Sep 11, 1967... yeah These particular CH-46's are going to the bone yard when we get back. We're trading them in for some MV-22 Ospreys.
[IMG][/IMG]

It's cool to see other guys with the same interest in cars as me. Nice collection man. Now if we can only convince Speed to act like it's predecessor Speed Vision and show some WRC instead of catering to the people from the movie "Deliverance". I hate nascar. lol
Talk to you guys later.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Sep 13, 2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:08 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Very cool. Yeah, some WRC coverage sure would be nice. Maybe some Rally America coverage too, while they're at it. Have you ever checked out a RallyCross? They're a ton of fun, might be something to look into when you get back.

Take care of business over there and come back in one piece.

--Josh
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

well you must have a good job to buy an STI and use it for just track use, unless your sponsored...
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JWA
Very cool. Yeah, some WRC coverage sure would be nice. Maybe some Rally America coverage too, while they're at it. Have you ever checked out a RallyCross? They're a ton of fun, might be something to look into when you get back.

Take care of business over there and come back in one piece.

--Josh
I've looked into a rally school once. I was suprised at the price of it all. I would love to do it with my suby, the new STi is perfect for it to say the least. I have a couple of questions though...

What sorts of surfaces are you running on with your stock class STi? What kind of budget are you looking at in order to participate? How hard is it on the car? Do you have any suspension upgrades in order to save the car from a severe beating?

I would venture to guess that owning a beater Impreza would be the best thing for these events. The problem I have is that I spend my extra time and cash towards track events with my bike. I really love the track. I've always wanted to do some rally events, but my current station is in N.C. and thus we're surrounded by more rednecks than rally fans.