Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

shipping an X?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way it is $8K less in Cali!! Realistically, I could see $3-4K, but it is not $8K. And sometimes it might even be less than that. I would do more homework locally if I were you.

I got $2K off MSRP here on the East Coast, which is close to invoice. Could I have got another $2K off from Cali, maybe, but I also have to transport it then for at least $1K. So to me it wasn't worth it at all.

With gas prices these days, these cars are not selling all that well. You can talk them down if they know you are serious about purchasing one. When I walked in, there was a $1,900 markup, when I walked out it was $1,900 LESS than MSRP.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting just above 4k off msrp from Cali. taxes arent included in the price so it might seem 8k lower at first until you need to register the car and find out u have to pay an additional 2-3k in taxes which would be included in your local dealers price.
You might be able to get a decent deal at your local dealer but you often have to fight for quite a while just to get a little off. Sam at Socal is giving you a hassle free 4k off. Pay 1k for shipping and you still have 3k to play with and no headaches.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by malves85
Im getting just above 4k off msrp from Cali. taxes arent included in the price so it might seem 8k lower at first until you need to register the car and find out u have to pay an additional 2-3k in taxes which would be included in your local dealers price.
Or the local places could be asking for market adjustments. A place down the street here had them marked up $5k when I bought. One up north wanted $5000 over sticker plus another $2500 in worthless "protection" junk. I talked some numbers with the local place, but they didn't even want to throw in the all-season floor mats. At couple places within 80 or so miles were at MSRP, but wouldn't budge from there. One asked me not to tell anyone about South Coast or I would "ruin it for everyone."

And here we are, several months later, and they still have the exact same cars on the lot. Now might be a good time to buy locally, because I imagine at least the places around here are getting desperate to sell.

I took mine in for the reflash, and my tech was saying they haven't sold a single one yet, and they were the only dealer considering coming down from MSRP.

In any case, he's probably considering money he didn't pay over sticker as money saved. I think I'd consider it not getting ripped off.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

^^
Yea thats true. I remember when the Evo came out I stopped by the closest dealer and they had "market adjustment + $10,000" on the window sticker. Havent been there since.

Edit: Just called up DAS shipping. If your insurance covers shipping a car the price will be bumped down to the $900s. The car is covered up to 50k worth of damage. The guy I called knew a lot about the Evo and seemed really cool. Its no bubble wrap inside a closed truck like intercity but they seem to know what they are doing and guarantee it reaches NY in 12-14 days for half the price.

Last edited by malves85; May 30, 2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Fly em in from Japan... haha airlift style...
Old Sep 8, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

my car sat at DAS for 10 days and then I was informed it would be another 13 days until delivery. I cancelled and called another carrier and they had the car picked up in 2 1/2 hours after I called them (this past Thursday). Car will arrive tomorrow!!!! Thats fast from Cali to Ohio.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im looking to do this too but if the difference isn't more than $1000 I'm not going to do it. I also have my current car and selling privately will be a pain in the *** even though it's an 07 civic, which is probably a very sellable car with the current economy and gas prices. Ughhh the biggest problem is here in South Jersey none of the dealers have Phantom Black, and the one that does plays games all day long and are a bunch of jerks. They'll probably bargain less because of the fact that I want PB and they'll say "it's a premium color" like that entitles it to selling MSRP with no deals.

This will be my first buying experience, and I don't know if I'm up for spending a whole day at the Dealership with them trying to knock me down. In two months I'll have $9k to put down, so I still have time to figure out whether shipping is better or not. The reviews of DAS are too risky. When around 50% of the reviews are negative, and even horror stories, the risk is just way too high, or is at least to me.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by trexxx8739
my car sat at DAS for 10 days and then I was informed it would be another 13 days until delivery. I cancelled and called another carrier and they had the car picked up in 2 1/2 hours after I called them (this past Thursday). Car will arrive tomorrow!!!! Thats fast from Cali to Ohio.
Who was the other carrier?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Transilvania Express Auto Transport. He picked it up from Cali on Thursday and Delivered it Tuesday to Ohio. Nice guy. I called him a couple times to see where he was at and when I could expect him. If anyone wants his cell phone # pm me and I'll give it to you.