Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
Ok, three things...

1. Its a Toyota...Japanese for "barf."
2. Its auto only...English for "barf."
3. Seriously, that suggestion made me want to barf.
I wasn't being serious. I agree on all the "barfs"...he should just get the BMW and be happy
Old Jan 3, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
so i guess we are lucky in here ...or maybe just me. I even got the Volvo s40 turbo when my murano broked down... The loan car was new and only had 120 miles in it,we used it over 2 weeks! that was a enterprise car.. we know all of limits for the volvo s40 turbo for sure...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
If you're that worried about it, go with the Lexus IS350. Can't beat Lexus quality and reliability. It's a fast car, but doesn't drive anything like the BMW or the Evo. The X will also be hit and miss on reliability especially in its first year.
Ahead of you on this one. I had an IS350 from Sept 06 - Aug 07. Sold it...didn't like it.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this
It you look at the majority of complaints its due to little items like cup holders breaking or ash try not closing ... not the car wont start. On top of it you get a loaner so your not stranded without a car .... with Mitsu you wont get that.

Not really...here is something that completely contradicts what you just wote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLs7WGgTbAg

car is an 08 335i, one day old!

I understand you get a loaner....but it's still a hassle don' you think? Besides wouldn't you be pissed if that was your $47k car that was one day old?
Old Jan 3, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

well it is worth to read the comments too.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well it is worth to read the comments too.
Yes it is a software load issue...but how does that ease the mind of the owner? Did they not perform some type of quality control check at the factory? It appears that they did not.

That is my concern, there doesn't appear to be any quality control. Instead it's a reactive mentality..."oh it doesn't work...let us look at it". Why not perform some QC before releasing each vehicle?

I don't pretend to know the answer, however, I have an idea. Maybe since all maintenance (during the warranty) on the BMW is free anyway, it really doesn't cost BMW that much to replace things as they fail. Maybe their technicians are paid a salary vs an hourly rate

I am truly sad that such a beautiful, capable vehicle can have so many gremlins and major component failures. It really is Sad. Someone else mentioned you'd have to be crazy to compare the 335i to the EVO X. Not really, they are identically priced if you do the Euro delivery thing...However, the Mitsu just might have the BMW beat on Reliability
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
However, the Mitsu just might have the BMW beat on Reliability
Very, Very, Doubtful...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

well if you see free maintanence advertising, you know something is not right.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOTS of the cost of the X is from the crazy S-AWC system. If you don't care much about that, or AWD in general (which would appear to be the case since you are considering the 135i in the first place), you probably should get the 135i. The Evo is pretty much defined by its trick AWD system, complete with race-derived algorithms. If that wasn't important to me personally, with all the handling it offers over a vast array of driving surfaces, i wouldn't even consider buying a X.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
LOTS of the cost of the X is from the crazy S-AWC system. If you don't care much about that, or AWD in general (which would appear to be the case since you are considering the 135i in the first place), you probably should get the 135i. The Evo is pretty much defined by its trick AWD system, complete with race-derived algorithms. If that wasn't important to me personally, with all the handling it offers over a vast array of driving surfaces, i wouldn't even consider buying a X.
Actually handeling, is high on my priority list. My Galant vr4 has an EVO IX suspension (non-bilstein) and I absolutely love it. The only reason I started looking elsewhere was becuase of the large acceleration desparity between the IX and the X. If the X can consistently pull off a 13.5@102-103. I'd put my money down tommorrow. As I have posted before, I built and owned an 11.9 sec Eclipse and absoulutely loved the power and mileage (24mpg on highway).

I would in a heart beat pick up an X. I would simply like it to start pulling 102-103 in the 1/4 first. No I don't plan on tracking the car often..maybe 4 times a year, and most of the rime I drive 10mph over the limit. However, when I wanna play, I wanna play

We seem to have alot of BMW fans here. That's a good thing really, no sense in narrowing your choices really. So I have to ask, how many of you are actually considering a 135i or 335i? Please remember that you can save 6k on the US MSPR by doing Euro Delivery. Euro Deliver may not be available for the 135i but it is for the 335i.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

if BMW then M3 for me, period. And if that then CSL only.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...they already have fq330 and fq360 upgrades for the X. the fq360 should trap around where you would like it to be. and HKS has apparently built an SST with nearly 380 bhp, so i think you should buy a X and leave the 135i to the old folks. to be comparable, the 135i would need to be at least a 135xi...and even then, the x-drive system isn't anywhere near as good as the S-AWC system appears to be...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well if you see free maintanence advertising, you know something is not right.
It's actually the opposite. The cost of offering free maintenance if they knew the cars would be breaking down would be astronomical. They wouldn't have the budget to cover everything if they didn't think they built their cars well enough to hold up.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

For those who care:

Pic attached is taken from Consumer reports website and reads:

How makes compare
The graph shows how the makes rank based on their average predicted reliability scores. The score is the overall reliability calculated as a percentage better or worse than the average of all cars. The bar shows the range of scores between a make's worst and best model. The numeric score shown is the average for that make.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)-how-makes-compare2.jpg  
Old Jan 3, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
Well...they already have fq330 and fq360 upgrades for the X. the fq360 should trap around where you would like it to be. and HKS has apparently built an SST with nearly 380 bhp, so i think you should buy a X and leave the 135i to the old folks. to be comparable, the 135i would need to be at least a 135xi...and even then, the x-drive system isn't anywhere near as good as the S-AWC system appears to be...
let them find out the hardway. More and more news coming in, and more and more better looks the X.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)