Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking of getting a 135 until I happened upon this forum: http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 ; apparently the 1 is built like a cheapa$$ car - some of the problems they discuss are door handles sticking and the car not being able to start due to a steering wheel lock issue. But there are many, many others. Also, a lot of the 335's are overheating and fuel pumps are failing - but these 2 problems seem to have been addressed.

I was gonna get a M coupe (07 M coupes are being sold for up to 15K off msrp right now). But then i read a lot of them have issues with the 1-2 gearshift grinding, dealers not fixing this under warranty, and if fixed, by a replacement tranny, the same problem occuring in the replacement.

I was really getting excited about the X, and was thinking i finally found my car, but then i read the X too has 1-2 gear shift grinding problems.

Are there any reliable fast cars out there? I know how they say, "cheap, fast, and realiable, pick 2". Well I pick fast and reliable, but it seems like there aren't any cars that fit that bill.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You really cant go by forums(not that its not a good idea to check). Check this forum, theres a million problems with the evo. You can always find enough dirt if you dig deep enough.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I thought the 135i was going to be the greatest car since sliced bread until we got a 335i in the shop and did some mods to it. I have lost all interest in those cars. I wouldn't take a 135i over any EVO ever made, those cars only look good on paper. The 335 is a sport sedan that is way way more sedan than sport. And the 1 is only slightly better according to what I've read. If you want smooth ride that is also a car that can really cut a corner, the X is really good at that. With the past EVO's I wouldn't recommend them to anyone looking for a sport sedan, they are too raw and harsh. I consider the 9 a sports car that happens to have 4 doors. But the X is way softer and smoother but still gets it done when you want to go fast.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:20 AM

The BMW will hold it's retail value much better, as for performance thats yet to be seen. If given the choice, I would go with the 1serie because of the name brand BMW has an the potential I see in the Twin Turbo
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
The Evo obviously handles better but overall the BMW has better interior and is well, a BMW with a twin turbo but not really a good tuner car IMO. Please share your thought? Thanks
not really a good tuner car?? sorely mistaken my friend. stock bmw335i (same motor as 135i) is 300hp @300lb tq. then with just exhaust and a flash, the 6 cyl twin turbo actually jumps to 390hp@400lb tq w/vishnu's stage zero package ($1295). also, under higher boost settings, the bmw's TT/V6 automatically adjusts it's fuel intake to the proper settings. don't believe me? here u go:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm
Stage Zero

Includes:
Vishnu PROcede v2 Computer
Plug-and-Play Harness
(no wire cutting!)

Performance (91-93 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.4 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.7s @ 111mph

Performance (100 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.5s @ 113mph

Installation difficulty:
Novice

Estimated Installation Time:
30-45 mins

Price:
$1295 Vishnu PROcede

also, if you're talking about the price difference between the two, they're exactly the same ($40k). the evo X already has an additional $5k markup on it so it comes out to $40k before tax and license. i love my evo8 but mitsubishi's warranty really sucks. i had to pay for my own clutch change a month after i got the car, when they said they'd take care of it when i bought the car (adressed during purchase). even with warranty, i have to pay for my own brakes, oil, and i'm not sure if the tranny is considered wear and tear also. and i just paid $400 for my 30k mile service last week.
..........with bmw, pretty much all you have to pay for is tires.

so in conclusion, the BMW 135i/335i is a damn better bang for buck!.....IMO

BTW....AWD Audi S5 vs RWD BMW 335i
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI
and if awd is your thing, the 335xi is already out too.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Jan 28, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

screw the 135i, its really between the 335i and the X

you will probably regret getting the 135i and wish everyday you got another Evo.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

If you are planning to drag, or street racing (which I do not condone to), then 135i is car for you!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
If you are planning to drag, or street racing (which I do not condone to), then 135i is car for you!
You guys are crack smokers if you think the 135i cannot turn. The 335i may be more sedan than sports car, but the 135i is a different kind of beast. Look at the reviews so far. The 135i is a fantastic sports car, in fact far more "sports car" than an AWD Evo or STI could ever be. Both can turn, but they go about it in much different ways.

And that's why I wouldn't really consider a 135i . Great car, but where I live it rains 10 months out of the year and traction is very important to me. Hard to beat AWD for that.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:02 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Bang for buck? Evo. Better car in general? 135i.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pekpekbuster
not really a good tuner car?? sorely mistaken my friend. stock bmw335i (same motor as 135i) is 300hp @300lb tq. then with just exhaust and a flash, the 6 cyl twin turbo actually jumps to 390hp@400lb tq w/vishnu's stage zero package ($1295). also, under higher boost settings, the bmw's TT/V6 automatically adjusts it's fuel intake to the proper settings. don't believe me? here u go:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm
Stage Zero

Includes:
Vishnu PROcede v2 Computer
Plug-and-Play Harness
(no wire cutting!)

Performance (91-93 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.4 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.7s @ 111mph

Performance (100 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.5s @ 113mph

Installation difficulty:
Novice

Estimated Installation Time:
30-45 mins

Price:
$1295 Vishnu PROcede

also, if you're talking about the price difference between the two, they're exactly the same ($40k). the evo X already has an additional $5k markup on it so it comes out to $40k before tax and license. i love my evo8 but mitsubishi's warranty really sucks. i had to pay for my own clutch change a month after i got the car, when they said they'd take care of it when i bought the car (adressed during purchase). even with warranty, i have to pay for my own brakes, oil, and i'm not sure if the tranny is considered wear and tear also. and i just paid $400 for my 30k mile service last week.
..........with bmw, pretty much all you have to pay for is tires.

so in conclusion, the BMW 135i/335i is a damn better bang for buck!.....IMO

BTW....AWD Audi S5 vs RWD BMW 335i
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI
and if awd is your thing, the 335xi is alrady out too.

Wow this is great informantion and very impressive especially for the price, thank you for this.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
I am a die hard Evo fan having owned 3 of them and probably going to buy in X but I am curious from other Evo owners or car enthusiasts what you think is better bang for buck both cars are around the same price and have very close to the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times according to reviews and articles I have read. The Evo obviously handles better but overall the BMW has better interior and is well, a BMW with a twin turbo but not really a good tuner car IMO. Please share your thought? Thanks

I can tell you that the 335's will have overheating issues, where the car gets hot when pushed and goes into limp-home mode. I experienced it when I tested it and Car and Driver seems to have had the same experience when they ran one at the track. The 135i will be no different since much of it is really 3-series.

For reliability get the Evo, if your purchase decision is based on what other people will think then maybe you should buy a BMW. I've talked to a few BMW owners who were considering an Evo X purchase and many seem to think the world looks up to them based on the fact that they drive a BMW...for the record it doesn't. You are shallow to buy a vehicle because of what other people will think. You pay for it, you drive it, it should be about nothing but what you want, period, not some image you think you are trying to live up to.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:39 AM

/\ not an issue anymore. Oil coolers were covered under warranty and added for the 08 model year.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
I can tell you that the 335's will have overheating issues, where the car gets hot when pushed and goes into limp-home mode. I experienced it when I tested it and Car and Driver seems to have had the same experience when they ran one at the track. The 135i will be no different since much of it is really 3-series.
Wasn't that a problem with early 335's? What makes you think BMW hasn't already solved that problem?

You pay for it, you drive it, it should be about nothing but what you want, period, not some image you think you are trying to live up to.
Worth repeating.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SubaruFlamingo
/\ not an issue anymore. Oil coolers were covered under warranty and added for the 08 model year.

I wasn't even tracking the car, just running a figure-eight test. After about six laps it went into limp-home mode. If all it took was six laps at low engine speeds to overheat, I'm not convinced that an oil cooler will hold up to a) track lapping and more importantly for many of you b) engine mods where you are going to create even more heat.

But if you say so...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:25 AM

The base model 135i has better interior luxuries by far and equal power while still being slighlty lighter. It doesn't have AWD(not needed unless you live in inclimate weather)
The suspension geometry is spaceage on that car too. Really crazy set up.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

The tuning aspect is always the downside. The car is not as "friendly" as far as the engine goes in comparison to the X....The suspension can be tracked out as with any car.

The car has great throttle response and great low down torque. Equally as fun with a proven bulletproof drivetrain and "free maintenance" for 4yrs/50,000miles

Plus the name of the product should be attractive in comparison.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)