Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take a Bmw 335i over an Evo any day
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another thing to consider about the 135i. Free scheduled maintenance is included for the first 4 years and it covers everything including brake pads. That will save you a good chunk of money over the life of the vehicle. Also, you can do European Delivery and the price of the 135i will drop a few thousand dollars. Plus, you get to drive your car on the AutoBahn! Mitsu can't/won't offer those things.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"Plus, you get to drive your car on the AutoBahn! Mitsu can't/won't offer those things."
they dont need to....
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go for the X the handling in nuts....nuts i tell you
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
I would take a Bmw 335i over an Evo any day
So why does your profile say otherwise.... it says you drive 3 Evo's!!!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Well when it snows 5 inches and then melts a little and freezes, I can tell you the BMW's in my neighborhood stay in the garage. In fact quite a few 4WD SUVs parked at the bottom of the hill and the owners walked up, but the evo scratched it's way up the steepest hill in town to the chagrin of all the sledders.....
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Do like me, when I get back to the states from my tour of duty I will be buying the EVO IX and a 335XI Sedan. BTW, BMW has addressed the overheating issues with oil coolers and the fuel pumps are fixed as well. I have been following the new Twin Turbo charged BMW's very closely and test drove one a few days before I left the country. I am still smiling thinking about that ride. All the power of an EVO with the comfort of a luxury car. But the hugest difference was the treatment from all of the BMW personnel. OUTSTANDING compared to two years of dealing with Mitsubishi dealerships.

To answer the original question I would pick the 135i over a X. For owning the flagship car from Mitsubishi they still treat you like like a sack of **** if you dare take your car into them for maintenance or repairs, anything breaks on your car and they will look for reasons to not cover you, did I mention that I don't trust their mechanics? I learned how to do things on my own because of this. They will accuse you of driving your Rally car too hard and most likely find a reason to void you warranty. These experiences were from multiply crappy dealership in FL.

BMW on the other hand literally covers everything but new tires for 4 years or 50,000 miles and you can pay for an extra 2 years and 20,000 miles from some dealerships. Seems like a pretty solid deal to me.

Edmunds.com say's: When it comes to cost of ownership, BMW owners are in an enviable position. Because when you buy a 2008 BMW, you'll pay absolutely nothing for the industry's most comprehensive suite of premium vehicle maintenance services for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

While other vehicle owners will pay out of their pocket hundreds of dollars – in some cases, over a thousand dollars – during the first 4 years of ownership for typical maintenance repairs, BMW owners will not. No other company provides such comprehensive benefits for absolutely no cost.

To illustrate the true cost of ownership* versus the competition, refer to the data below, as provided by Edmunds.com:

VehicleTrue Cost of Ownership
2007-8 BMW 335i Sedan $0
2007 Acura TL $1,547
2007 Cadillac CTS $1,657
2007 Infiniti G35 $1,591
2007 Lexus ES 350 $1,992
2007 Lexus IS 350 $2,029
2007 Mercedes C Class $2,105

Like someone else posted you can actually go to Germany and pick your car up, learn how to drive it on their test tracks with their instructors, then drive the Autobahn and all over Europe. Then have it shipped here for 2-3 thousand less than purchasing it from a local dealer and get this, the dealerships will still treat you like you bought it from them.

I love Mitsu for one reason and one reason only "the EVO" if it weren't for that car I wouldn't even notice them. I have always liked BMW's but I never seemed to see the value in buying one. Now with the In-line 6 with two turbos and that crazy warranty I just cannot help myself.

My .02 cents

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Jan 29, 2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
Well when it snows 5 inches and then melts a little and freezes, I can tell you the BMW's in my neighborhood stay in the garage. In fact quite a few 4WD SUVs parked at the bottom of the hill and the owners walked up, but the evo scratched it's way up the steepest hill in town to the chagrin of all the sledders.....

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/ca...hing/636982721

Here is a great crash video. Watch the BMW at the end make the turn that no one else could.

BMW's come standard with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

I think that most BMW's would be able to handle well enough with 2 wheel drive or even better with X-drive (Their electronically controlled AWD system). I have read multiply post by EVO owners that wrecked their cars due to weather, and I have personally known a few EVO guys that wrecked due to inclement weather. No car is perfect and usually it comes down to the best mod ever "The Driver Mod". Most accidents come down to driver error not the car.

However, if asked I think that the EVO has one of if not the best AWD system in the world.

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Jan 29, 2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
that situation is all driver + tires.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

If BMW finds out you modded their ECU, you'll have problems getting that warrantied same as a Mitsu. The difference is that the BMW dealer will tell you very nicely to go f$%k yourself (you'll still feel special), while the Mitsu dealer will treat you so bad, that you'll be crying to mommy on the way out of the dealer. The Mitsu dealer actually made my wife cry once when she went to go get my carpet anchor fixed for the 3rd time. They actually told her that it was her fault because the car was modded (I didn't have any carpet mods). I have never seen that type of poor service from any other type of dealer.

Seriously, don't count markups in the price. Evo Xs can be bought for as little as $100 over invoice right now, you just have to know where to look. So MSRP to MSRP would at least make the comparison apples to apples.

Another thing to ask yourself. Do you want/need to have a back seat. The 135i is really cramped compared to the Evo X. If you just need a sports car, get the 135i. If you need room for a baby seat, the Evo X or an 08 STI would be better.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
If BMW finds out you modded their ECU, you'll have problems getting that warrantied same as a Mitsu. The difference is that the BMW dealer will tell you very nicely to go f$%k yourself (you'll still feel special), while the Mitsu dealer will treat you so bad, that you'll be crying to mommy on the way out of the dealer. The Mitsu dealer actually made my wife cry once when she went to go get my carpet anchor fixed for the 3rd time. They actually told her that it was her fault because the car was modded (I didn't have any carpet mods). I have never seen that type of poor service from any other type of dealer.

Seriously, don't count markups in the price. Evo Xs can be bought for as little as $100 over invoice right now, you just have to know where to look. So MSRP to MSRP would at least make the comparison apples to apples.

Another thing to ask yourself. Do you want/need to have a back seat. The 135i is really cramped compared to the Evo X. If you just need a sports car, get the 135i. If you need room for a baby seat, the Evo X or an 08 STI would be better.
I agree with you with one exception. Some of the BMW dealerships actually sell some ECU mods/ Exhausts/ Intakes and more with the warranty still intact. This is just from reading other peoples posts not my own experiences but it seems to be a norm on the BMW forums.

I personally would get a piggy back that could be removed with no knowledge of it being there unless I forgot and left it in .

BTW, did you go the the Mitsu dealership and get in their A$$ for talking to your wife like that? There is no excuse and you are right they are are second to none on the worst customer service. At least the ones that I have dealt with.

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Jan 29, 2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Hey Evo8Nate can you compare how the 335i felt compared to your Evo 8 as far as acceleration and the powerband please? Are the gears really short in the beemer? Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2008, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
I agree with you with one exception. Some of the BMW dealerships actually sell some ECU mods/ Exhausts/ Intakes and more with the warranty still intact. This is just from reading other peoples posts not my own experiences but it seems to be a norm on the BMW forums.
Unless it's condoned by the factory, then the "warranty still intact" part is complete bull****. Dealers have no power whatsoever to modify cars and maintain warranty coverage while doing it. At best they can either warranty the car out of their own pocket or defraud the manufacturer to gain warranty coverage illegitimately.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

^ that is true, if they did the install they have to close their eyes to other things
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't buy any 135's or M3's you see on the lot for awhile...check the latest news - ouch!

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish...cle_1296.shtml

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)