Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^THey need to fix those cars and sell for reduced price or part them out
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:04 AM
Account Disabled

Agreed. It's bullsh*t that they're even selling them as new.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Vehicles with damage greater than three percent of their value will be repaired and used as employee vehicles for a period of time before being sold at dealer auctions with full disclosure of the damage and repairs. After being sold at auction, the cars will carry the balance of the original factory warranty.

Cars with less than three percent damage will be repaired, after which the dealer, or the customer in the case of a special order vehicle, will be notified of the damage and repair and then given the option of accepting or refusing the car. Any repaired car that is rejected by either a dealer or a customer will be sent to a dealer auction and the vehicle will be replaced with an identical one at the earliest possible time. All repaired vehicles will carry the full factory warranty.
...sounds reasonable to me. i don't think they'd let any of those got @ full price with a full disclosure.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
Hey Evo8Nate can you compare how the 335i felt compared to your Evo 8 as far as acceleration and the powerband please? Are the gears really short in the beemer? Thanks
My EVO8 was raw, rough and no in between slow and fast. The EVO was either ***** out (In higher RPMs) or laggy and slow (In lower RPMs), once you tune your EVO you will see the positives and negatives very clearly.

The BMW didn't feel heavy, delivered power from zero way past 100mph with no sign of turbo lag and in a way that made it feel faster than I knew it actually was. The really nice thing was that I didn't have a clue that the rest of the world was around me because the car was so quiet inside, even my wife didn't realize that I was driving the car hard. I turned the traction control and stability assist off and I quickly realized how powerful that engine actually was. The car was all over the place. I was driving the RWD 335i not the AWD 335XI. I was so impressed that I have one on order with a down payment through BMW, I just haven't told them to pull the trigger yet. Waiting until my overseas orders are done.

I will have the best of both worlds The BMW to safely and securely drive my family around while still giving my self some enjoyment and the EVO IX to take to the track and beat the **** out of when I need to blow off some steam. I just don't like having them both as one. That is why the X isn't for me. I am to old to believe that your race car and your daily driver can be the same car. I have been left stranded in to many dual duty cars before to fall victim again.

BTW, the gearing was perfect in the 335i a lot longer then the EVOs if I remember correctly. My EVOs were nice and short which made it fast at the drag strip and race tracks or auto X, but horrible for the hwy, 5th gear would be at an annoyingly high RPM to travel at an acceptable speed. My mods on my old EVO are still listed below in my sig.

That is just me though!

I hope that this helps you with your decision and answered your questions,

-Nate

Last edited by EVO-8-Nate; Jan 29, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 02:39 PM

i agree the 335i is the better bang for you buck
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

BMW's come standard with Dynamic Stability Control (DSC), including Brake Fade Compensation, Start-off Assistant, Brake Drying, and Brake Stand-by features, with Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

I think that most BMW's would be able to handle well enough with 2 wheel drive
No, I watched my neighbor across the street not be able to drive his new BMW up the hill to his house. It just would not do it. He had to walk 2 blocks home. Seriously, the BMW might be nice and a good performer overall for sunny places, but for an overall good driver that will get me to work no matter what the Evo is the only choice.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 04:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Highwind
i agree the 335i is the better bang for you buck
I personally wouldn't buy it, but, I do agree it's a better value. The interior is luxuirous and the features are for the rediculously lazy (not in a bad way).

Not my kind of car until I hit my 30's probably, lol.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
No, I watched my neighbor across the street not be able to drive his new BMW up the hill to his house. It just would not do it. He had to walk 2 blocks home. Seriously, the BMW might be nice and a good performer overall for sunny places, but for an overall good driver that will get me to work no matter what the Evo is the only choice.
Let me guess you live on top of Mt. Fuji??? Look dude I love the EVO too, but if you think that because it has AWD it is the only car that can drive up a hill you are pretty funny . Maybe this imaginary hill that is near you neighborhood of card board boxes under a bridge somewhere, that blocks everything but EVO's every-time it rains/ sleets or snows is as bad as you say it is .

Dude don't get mad I am just trying to get your goat! I am teasing you.

-Cheers-

-Nate
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by formerSTIowner
Don't buy any 135's or M3's you see on the lot for awhile...check the latest news - ouch!

http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish...cle_1296.shtml
Wow, some of those were European Delivery cars. How mad would you be if you flew out to Germany to see your car off the line, drive it around for a week or so, and then find out it was smashed up on the way back to the States.

Even if the damage was minor it sounds like they're allowing you to refuse delivery and they'll replace it with an identical model. What stinks is you're already paying off the loan on a car you don't even have any more, and may have to wait a month or more for a replacement, as you officially paid for and took delivery in Germany.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
I can tell you that the 335's will have overheating issues, where the car gets hot when pushed and goes into limp-home mode. I experienced it when I tested it and Car and Driver seems to have had the same experience when they ran one at the track. The 135i will be no different since much of it is really 3-series.

For reliability get the Evo, if your purchase decision is based on what other people will think then maybe you should buy a BMW. I've talked to a few BMW owners who were considering an Evo X purchase and many seem to think the world looks up to them based on the fact that they drive a BMW...for the record it doesn't. You are shallow to buy a vehicle because of what other people will think. You pay for it, you drive it, it should be about nothing but what you want, period, not some image you think you are trying to live up to.
Yeah this was solved they added a factory oil cooler and the maps Vishnu *Shiv put out no longer pose any issues... after an 03 evo 8 and an 06 evo 9 (paid like 27k with 3500 miles) I would have a hard time returning after owning this 335i with the PROcede V2 on it (paid 39k with 4k miles). Add Downpipes, exhaust, and cone filter intake and they are putting down 390hp to the wheels on 91!!! 400whp on 93! That is 450-470hp at the crank That map is known as 2.1 and will be released soon I believe... Potential for 500 crank hp on 98+ octane race fuel then they are saying factory fuel system is maxed, 420-430hp at the wheels, stock turbos! (Dynojet numbers not mustang or dynamic, aka load dynos)

Last edited by concordmitsunet; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:40 AM

Actually I think it is much easier to make a choice between Evo X, 135i, and new STI for the potential buyers now, since these three vehicles have different body styles.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X : sedan
BMW 135i : coupe
Subaru Impreza WRX STI : wagon

Although these three share similar price and performance output, and all three are turbocharged fast sports cars, they seem to serve different kind of buyers now. I couldn't tell which one is more car for the money, because I haven't driven any of them. But as far as the look go, I think the 135i is the ugliest one.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by concordmitsunet
Yeah this was solved they added a factory oil cooler and the maps Vishnu *Shiv put out no longer pose any issues... after an 03 evo 8 and an 06 evo 9 (paid like 27k with 3500 miles) I would have a hard time returning after owning this 335i with the PROcede V2 on it (paid 39k with 4k miles). Add Downpipes, exhaust, and cone filter intake and they are putting down 390hp to the wheels on 91!!! 400whp on 93! That is 450-470hp at the crank That map is known as 2.1 and will be released soon I believe... Potential for 500 crank hp on 98+ octane race fuel then they are saying factory fuel system is maxed, 420-430hp at the wheels, stock turbos! (Dynojet numbers not mustang or dynamic, aka load dynos)
wow!, f*CKing WOW!!

335i/xi: My next car

.......after i'm done paying off the evo & the wife's suv.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Jan 30, 2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i dont think you want to have only engine mods on the BMW ,specially if you closeing the 400 whp range...
And when you really start get into it ,the reilability and price differences will be greatly separate from the Evo .

if you planning to hook up the car , then the Evo wins period. If you planning to hook up BMW then only the M series is your best bet. Specially the M3. Other models you just will keep dumping money in it.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by EVO-8-Nate
I just don't like having them both as one. That is why the X isn't for me. I am to old to believe that your race car and your daily driver can be the same car. I have been left stranded in to many dual duty cars before to fall victim again.

That is just me though!

-Nate

Maybe a GT-R could combine both worlds... but at the price of both.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ghamatos

Maybe a GT-R could combine both worlds... but at the price of both.
I have thought about it and I just cannot bring myself to spend that much money plus the $20k-$60k mark-ups due to the exclusivity of the new GT-R (Only 1500 or so in the US the first year). By the time I am spent that much money I could have a IX in the same performance territory for only track use + the 335xi fully loaded with the ECU upgrade, with 70k to spare. Insurance on the two cars would probably be cheaper with the two cars as well.

On a side note I am in Japan right now and saw the GT-R as I drove by a dealership the other day. It was so overwhelming, I was speechless. In person that car is fantastic looking, even at a distance. I was driving by at 60kph on a busy Japanese street so it wasn't that long of a look and I didn't have time to turn around and see it but still.

-Nate

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)