Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's food for though - 335's make 275whp stock, what do X's make on a dynojet? like 235whp?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:38 AM

Evo X
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the IX better then the X but i would go for sure fot the X.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:48 AM

I would say test drive both, before you make a decision! The evo will be cheaper to mod in the long run! But both amazing.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Originally Posted by bugnot
here's food for though - 335's make 275whp stock, what do X's make on a dynojet? like 235whp?
dont forget where is makes makes its power in the curve either
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:50 PM

Thinking too hard about the product strategy for the Evo X, particularly the MR, makes my head hurt. It's supposed to be a more user-friendly, street-friendly car but they saddled it with a competition engine that is less practical than the 135i / 335i and minus a few friendly features like heated seats and folding rear seats.

But wait! It's supposed to be a better track car! But, it's saddled with lots of extra creature comforts compared to the previous version and is touching a price point where you could start to look at a base Corvette or Elise as a track car---not to mention any number of used track beaters. Wait---not track---it's AWD. This is a rally car. Want to go off-roading in your new $40k sedan?

So I guess the Evo is the clear winner for someone who has a fair amount of money to blow on a car, but not enough money / desire to buy a dedicated track/rally car, and wants something that is more competition-oriented than a BMW but more practical than an Elise or Corvette. That starts to sound like a pretty slim market to me.

...or, Mitsubishi is hoping that people will buy it because it's different and cool, and not think too hard about the rationale.

Last edited by Zoomin Dan; Feb 13, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bugnot
but isn't the X 235Awhp>335's 275whp(rear)?
but as what was pointed out in another thread re: Vishnu's ecu mod($1k+), 335 wld easily reach 390bhp.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shimla
but isn't the X 235Awhp>335's 275whp(rear)?
but as what was pointed out in another thread re: Vishnu's ecu mod($1k+), 335 wld easily reach 390bhp.
yup. here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...98#post5208298
Originally Posted by pekpekbuster
not really a good tuner car?? sorely mistaken my friend. stock bmw335i (same motor as 135i) is 300hp @300lb tq. then with just exhaust and a flash, the 6 cyl twin turbo actually jumps to 390hp@400lb tq w/vishnu's stage zero package ($1295). also, under higher boost settings, the bmw's TT/V6 automatically adjusts it's fuel intake to the proper settings. don't believe me? here u go:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm
Stage Zero

Includes:
Vishnu PROcede v2 Computer
Plug-and-Play Harness
(no wire cutting!)

Performance (91-93 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.4 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.7s @ 111mph

Performance (100 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.5s @ 113mph

Installation difficulty:
Novice

Estimated Installation Time:
30-45 mins

Price:
$1295 Vishnu PROcede

also, if you're talking about the price difference between the two, they're exactly the same ($40k). the evo X already has an additional $5k markup on it so it comes out to $40k before tax and license. i love my evo8 but mitsubishi's warranty really sucks. i had to pay for my own clutch change a month after i got the car, when they said they'd take care of it when i bought the car (adressed during purchase). even with warranty, i have to pay for my own brakes, oil, and i'm not sure if the tranny is considered wear and tear also. and i just paid $400 for my 30k mile service last week.
..........with bmw, pretty much all you have to pay for is tires.

so in conclusion, the BMW 135i/335i is a damn better bang for buck!.....IMO

BTW....AWD Audi S5 vs RWD BMW 335i
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI
and if awd is your thing, the 335xi is already out too.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Feb 13, 2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread has been beaten to death and then ran over repeatedly.

The X pros:
AWD - great no matter what the climate
Great handling - AYC FTW!
Great acceleration - AWD launches FTW!
Mod friendly

The X cons:
Heavier than it should be
Interior materials
First year car
Not as razor sharp as an evolution should be
If parts break (very high probability), you're screwed

The 135i pros:
RWD - Fun, fun, fun in good weather
Great handling - awesome chassis tuning & rear-biased weight distribution
Great acceleration - should blow away Evo (low 13's)
Torquey engine with more power - full torque at less than 2000rpm
Interior Materials
Serviceability
Modability (Vishnu tune gives gives up to 390bhp)

The 135i cons:
RWD - for snow
Understeer at limit (easily fixable with different wheel/tire combo)
A little more expensive
A little heavier than it should be

Personally, I think the 135i has more pros than cons. Its gonna be faster than the evo in a straight line, although not as fast in the twisties in stock form. Personally, I think it will be a more rewarding vehicle as it has less eletronic wizardry (i.e. s-awc) for a more experienced driver. A novice may appreciate the gizmos that make the Evo's handling so telepathic.

Bottom line: Both are really good cars, but for different reasons. You have to test drive them to really see which is going to be the better fit. Personally, I live in Pittsburgh, so even though I would prefer the 135i as it caters to more of my tastes, there is no way I could get away with a powerful rear-drive car without the addition of a second (awd) vehicle to get me around in the snow - which I can't afford. I'm not really a fan of the X, because it is not the detuned race car that the IX is - but I still appreciate the things it does well.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:39 PM

Same boat but STi is also on my list and i'm 98% sure i'm gonna go with 135i!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

I still dont think the 135i would beat the X the GSR is doing 0-60 in 4.6 and 0.98g and they said it still wanted to over steer with the rear ever so slightly breaking loose. There a two brothers in japan tuning there X,s wright now and they are saying with a new turbo back exhaust, BOV, and a tune they are hitting around 4.0 0-60 time and only have it mildly tune for pump gas soooooooo dont count your chickens before they are hatched. There are going to be so many modes for less money on the mitsu that dollar for dollar you will get more car/after market parts for the less not to mention have you ever done any maintenance on a beam-er its frickin retarded on cost. Not to mention you will look like a bad azz in the X and more like a pretty boy in the BMW.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by show time
Not to mention you will look like a bad azz in the X and more like a pretty boy in the BMW.
+1
The pretty boy thing gets old... and it gets worse when you lose at any event.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:40 AM

I have been around the Euro scene for some time now and I have to say the BMW peeps are almost always a-holes. Now this may not mean anything to you, but if you do end up going to Eurocar meets and shows this could be something to consider. All the other Eurocar owners seem to get along and socialize while the BMW peeps just stand together with their noses in the air and shun all the others (yes, even the Ferrari and Lambo owners get crap from BMW people). From what I have seen, most EVO people get along even though you have some of the older generation people trying to dis the newer version (this happens to all car makes that have huge fan bases).

However, I will say the 135i is a “good” little car and that 3.0 sequential turbo engine has huge power potential. Oh, and screw the M3, without forced induction you are very limited in power gains.

I see a lot a people saying it will cost more to mod the BMW and they are correct (this is true for all Euro’s). Also, BMW is very unforgiving to mods when it comes to warranty work. So I would say the EVO wins in the cost to power gain area. The 135i’s rear seat is damn near useless so don’t plan on having anyone sit back there and I doubt a baby car seat would even fit (if you have kids like me). So again the EVO wins this round. Now, almost all Euros have better quality interiors than any Japanese car (some may get pissed about this statement, but all true car enthusiast will agree). This one goes to the BMW. Ease of doing stuff to the car yourself, goes to the EVO, big time. The only way to work on Euro’s is to have a fully equipped shop.

I have owned 3 BMW’s in my life and I will never buy one again, if this gives you a clue as to how a feel about BMW. My last BMW- a 7 series- had 32 recalls in a single year. My E46 M3 blew the engine twice because of a known oil leak issue with the 3.0L engine in the E46 M3’s.

But it really comes down to what you think fits your life better after you have taken a drive in both.

Side note: All the people that say a sleeved engine cannot handle huge amounts of boost have their heads up their rears. At my buddies shop we have an Audi B5/S4 with a 3.0L (aluminum with alloy sleeves) twin turbo (dual GT28RS kit) putting out 650+whp and close to 600lb/ft of torque at the wheels with only 30lb of boost (have pushed it up to around 50lb of boost on race fuel=close to 800whp). Now the EVO X’s stock 4b11 (and it comes down to the rings and pistons giving out before the cylinder sleeves will) may not handle 40lb+ of boost, but I say it will still handle a lot more than people give it credit for.

Link to Eurotuner article on the Eurocode Tuning B5/S4.

http://www.ecodetuning.com/shop/static/etgp2007.html

Last edited by Evil_X; Feb 14, 2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:57 AM
Account Disabled

The gearing on the 135i sucks it would have a hard time beating a evo. And plus the 135i is rwd which is another bad thing for handling when ur pushing a good amount of hp if anything wait for the 135xi or get a evo u can never go wrong with a car with over 15 years of evolution. And the evo is cheaper to play with.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by chrsevx
The gearing on the 135i sucks it would have a hard time beating a evo. And plus the 135i is rwd which is another bad thing for handling when ur pushing a good amount of hp if anything wait for the 135xi or get a evo u can never go wrong with a car with over 15 years of evolution. And the evo is cheaper to play with.
6 speed: the 135 has a proper 6 speed instead of the short geared 5 speed in the evo. the engine dynos much higher than evos, at least in the 335. and the power is available in any gear at any rpm.

rwd: road race cars are rwd. rally cars are 4wd because they are ment to be driver off the road. most of the hard core race cars are rwd. That's why porche makes 911 turbo for their mainstream audience and 911 gt2 (rwd) for the people interested in racing.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)