Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no limited slip diff = pretty weak for 35k coupe
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go For The Evo X
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by greatestextant
no limited slip diff = pretty weak for 35k coupe
I agree - it should definitely come with one, so one should figure aftermarket LSD into the cost.

At least it comes with a 6spd manual and standard adaptive Xenons for high and low beams (not to mention a smoking straight-6 motor) which many feel should be standard on an EVO X for its price too...
Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

IMO th 135i looks better than the X
Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:13 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Lets keep the IX vs. X crap out of this thread. There is a 58 pager stickied at the top of this forum dedicated to the topic if you want to talk about that.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
The BMW will be faster from a roll, but the X will be faster out of the hole. In terms of the handling, the EVO X makes the BMW look like a sloppy tired amateur bowler compared to a world boxing champion. Nothing beats the EVO's AWD system and chassis/suspension/brakes, period. There has already been a comparison test by one of the magazines and they said that the beamer was a little bit peppier, but that it can't hold a candle to the EVO in the handling department. So as love 9 said, If I had it to do over again, I would take the EVO X over the BMW over, and over, and over again. To each his own, I guess. If you want a true performance car, buy the evo. If you want a nice interior then buy the beamer.
The Evo will be faster from a dig until about 60, but then it will get crushed. If we're mag racing, the 135 is quite a bit quicker and faster (ET and trap) in the quarter mile.

The 1 is lighter, has two more cylinders, an extra turbo, and torque potential the X could only dream of.

I don't see AWD as a huge handling advantage. Most all of the fastest cars on tarmac in the world are RWD for a reason.

Granted the 1 series needs a limited slip stock badly, but even without it and given only a good track alignment and tires on par with our Advans, It'd have little trouble with a stock Evo X with the same modifications IMO.

As much as I hate to even mention the IX in fear of it being compared to the X in this thread, remember the Car and Driver Lightning Lap on VIR? The 335i times crushed the IX times by a lot. I don't think the 1 is nearly as slow as many of you are making it out to be.

To whoever said you can't tell a difference between a 135 and a 128, that's like saying you can't tell a difference between a Ralliart and an Evo. Wheels, tires, brakes, exhaust, there are a lot of clues if you look.

I love my X and am playing devil's advocate for effect in some places above, but underestimating a 135i on track could prove unwise in a hurry.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nice post Noize - I think you hit the nail on the head. The stock Evo tires and the lack of an LSD in the BMW definitely push the Evo towards being slightly more "trackable" (for lack of a better word) out of the box than the 1-series. However the stellar power plant, lighter weight and the often capable suspension/steering feel inherent in many sport model BMW's will help it out quite a bit. I would venture to say on tracks with longer straights and predominantly high speed corners the lap times will favor the BMW while slower tracks should favor the Evo (due to awd and LSD). However, the BMW should have some good grunt out of those low speed corners due to the solid torque curve of that motor. People are saying the 1 pushes a little bit due to tiny front tires. I think if you level the playing field when it comes to tires and the LSD the 1 series will be tough to beat. But at that point you are throwing mods into the mix so it's tough to call any vehicle the sheer victor.

I always find it funny when people ask others to pick their cars for them... figure what fits your life, driving style and vehicle goals the best and buy that one. If you're still not sure, drive them both. I don't like other people making decisions for me when I'm spending my money - now if someone wants to buy me either of them...

Last edited by Max Power; Mar 30, 2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:00 AM

135i all the way!
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The Evo will be faster from a dig until about 60, but then it will get crushed. If we're mag racing, the 135 is quite a bit quicker and faster (ET and trap) in the quarter mile.
Ok, no offense but that makes no sense. It would take the BMW a bit of time to catch up and seeing how the 1/4 of a mile times are about equal stock vs stock that means that the 135i doesn't actually catch the EVO X till about around the end of the 1/4 of a mile aprox. You make it sound like it will rocket past the EVO after the launch and that is not true. The entire potential thing is way off too. EVOs are known for their potential thanks to the large amount of devoted performance shops like AMS who push PLENTY of torque out of the EVOs. BMW will have parts but most of them will be far more expensive and limited. I have nothing against the 135i, I like the car itself but I hate people who don't know jack and talk like they do . Also RWD is great on the track but no match for the AWD in the EVO or STI . THe 1/4 for the 135 was rated at about 13.2-13.4 or so? People are hitting about 13.5 in the X. What is the big deal? Not to mention in stock the new EVO is running rich and chokes up top. Which almost all EVO owners will fix one way or another in the future dropping the 1/4 of a mile down.

Last edited by love9sick; Mar 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:46 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by love9sick
Ok, no offense but that makes no sense. It would take the BMW a bit of time to catch up and seeing how the 1/4 of a mile times are about equal stock vs stock that means that the 135i doesn't actually catch the EVO X till about around the end of the 1/4 of a mile aprox. You make it sound like it will rocket past the EVO after the launch and that is not true. The entire potential thing is way off too. EVOs are known for their potential thanks to the large amount of devoted performance shops like AMS who push PLENTY of torque out of the EVOs. BMW will have parts but most of them will be far more expensive and limited. I have nothing against the 135i, I like the car itself but I hate people who don't know jack and talk like they do . Also RWD is great on the track but no match for the AWD in the EVO or STI . THe 1/4 for the 135 was rated at about 13.2-13.4 or so? People are hitting about 13.5 in the X. What is the big deal? Not to mention in stock the new EVO is running rich and chokes up top. Which almost all EVO owners will fix one way or another in the future dropping the 1/4 of a mile down.
I'm with you here. If we're magazine racing, the two cars are nearly identical according to C&D...0-60 (4.6 vs 4.7 advantage Evo) and 1/4 mile (13.3 vs 13.4 advantage 135i). The biggest advantage is the MPH difference with which the 135 finishes the 1/4 at 3mph faster than the Evo. So, overall I don't know if the 135 would rocket past the Evo. I've test-driven both. Back to back (dealerships were right next door to each other). The 135 definitely feels faster than the Evo X (and faster than my old IX). I imagine launching the 135 is a big problem (obviously didn't try it since it was a test drive). But once you're moving, that thing hauls like a freight train and pulls harder than the Evo X IMHO.

As for your other argument that AWD is better than RWD, I think you've got a bloated sense of the advantages of AWD. SAWC is a great technology and does what it does very well. But, AWD is not always better. Both platforms have their advantages. So, you can't say universally that AWD will beat RWD. If that was the case, Porsche would only make AWD 911s. But, the more track-dedicated the 911 is, they are RWD (GT2 and GT3).

Agree on the parts thing. BMW mods are typically more expensive and the Evo mod market is much more vast. But, the potential to build a very track-worthy 135 is definitely there. My boss races his E36 M3 at VIR and he pulls some of the fastest times of any class. Period. The 135 is supposedly a better starting place than the old M3 for a track car. Only time will tell.

Last edited by atombomb33; Mar 31, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
I'm kinda with you here. If we're magazine racing, the two cars are nearly identical according to C&D...0-60 (4.6 vs 4.7 advantage Evo) and 1/4 mile (13.3 vs 13.4 advantage 135i). The biggest advantage is the MPH difference with which the 135 finishes the 1/4 at 3mph faster than the Evo. So, overall I don't know if the 135 would rocket past the Evo. I've test-driven both. Back to back (dealerships were right next door to each other). The 135 definitely feels faster than the Evo X (and faster than my old IX). I imagine launching the 135 is a big problem (obviously didn't try it since it was a test drive). But once you're moving, that thing hauls like a freight train and pulls harder than the Evo X IMHO.
I wouldn't doubt that. I agree. The 3mph trap speed is an advantage. I am not surprised though that the 135i pulls a bit better of a roll though...I mean we all know that this isn't the EVOs territory out of the box don't we? We dyno less with the AWD. The launch is a necessary factor in determining a cars performance in my opinion though. BMW took the inline 6 with twin turbos and stuck it into a smaller body like the 135i...I would be more surprised if it wasn't quick. I almost purchased the 335i myself...was planning the Vishnu Procede it. I think personally the EVO has more potential but than again I might have watched to many SRvidz with the AMS black EVO raping everything
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

the 135i is a chick's car, it's like comparing a Z06 to a freakin' Mini - seriously man, if you had to ask, cup your ballz to see if there is anything between your legs, because I have seen way to man CT-Chica's with 135's listening to Fergie to give respect to a dude driving one. . .

It does have a great engine and excellent brakes though, but I'd opt for a 335i well before a 135i - it's like when BMW introduced the 328ti, just the cheapo version for schlums that can't afford the real car - get an M3 and call it a day, or even an Sti - the X is too much for you.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

^^ you're an idiot.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:07 PM

go sit in the 135.... too small inside for me at 6'1" 240lbs. evo X fits well
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'm 6'1, 190 and I felt fine...though you either love/hate the cockpit interior.

The 335i interior is so old and plain looking....main reason (besides cost) that i'd take a 135i over the 335i coupe.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)