Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by love9sick
I wouldn't doubt that. I agree. The 3mph trap speed is an advantage. I am not surprised though that the 135i pulls a bit better of a roll though...I mean we all know that this isn't the EVOs territory out of the box don't we? We dyno less with the AWD. The launch is a necessary factor in determining a cars performance in my opinion though. BMW took the inline 6 with twin turbos and stuck it into a smaller body like the 135i...I would be more surprised if it wasn't quick. I almost purchased the 335i myself...was planning the Vishnu Procede it. I think personally the EVO has more potential but than again I might have watched to many SRvidz with the AMS black EVO raping everything
That AMS Evo is a legend and rightfully so What a freaking beast But that's a dragstrip legend. I think Noize was referring to the 135's potential on a roadcourse. Where is does have potential with the right set up. Heck, even on the dragstrip is has potential with the right set of tires so you can actually hook up at launch.

To me, the biggest advantage to the Evo for building a true track car is the aftermarket support...which you've mentioned before. Much more support and many more options that can span all budget levels. You can make one hell of a track machine out of the Evo X (or any Evo VIII/IX for that matter). But, I also think the 135 has some great track potential as well. Hopefully we'll see some real-world times at local tracks for both cars once tracks open around the country.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Went today and drove the 135i again and spent a lot more time with it.

I don't think its as nice of a car as the 335i on the interior, that's for sure. I also don't think it handles nearly as well as my car.

The power difference is pretty hard to overcome, though.

Still, after thought, I am not going to be getting one or getting one for the wife. I think the X is really hard to beat for the price, especially considering you can get one for invoice.

I like my car, but they good grief it needs a tuning tool.

Everyone at the BMW dealership today thought it was a really nice car.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
That AMS Evo is a legend and rightfully so What a freaking beast But that's a dragstrip legend. I think Noize was referring to the 135's potential on a roadcourse. Where is does have potential with the right set up. Heck, even on the dragstrip is has potential with the right set of tires so you can actually hook up at launch.

To me, the biggest advantage to the Evo for building a true track car is the aftermarket support...which you've mentioned before. Much more support and many more options that can span all budget levels. You can make one hell of a track machine out of the Evo X (or any Evo VIII/IX for that matter). But, I also think the 135 has some great track potential as well. Hopefully we'll see some real-world times at local tracks for both cars once tracks open around the country.
I completely agree and I plan to track my car eventually. I hope to see a 135i there for some good fun laps. I would never claimed the 135i is not a good performing car. I think(this is just an assumption though) that the EVO will go around the bends quicker even in stock form. These advans and the AWD system create grip that scares the hell out of me every time. Driver makes a huge difference on the track as well though. When I was deciding between the cars it was really the rear end of the 135i that I just disliked...an opinion I know but it bugged me so I decided to go with the EVO. Not to mention the 135i was turning out to be more expensive with the same options like NAVI and stuff. Not by a lot though.

Originally Posted by Noize

I don't think its as nice of a car as the 335i on the interior, that's for sure. I also don't think it handles nearly as well as my car.

Still, after thought, I am not going to be getting one or getting one for the wife. I think the X is really hard to beat for the price, especially considering you can get one for invoice.

Thanks for sharing, I never actually test drove one. I drove the 335i and the interior was pretty good but I have no clue on the 135i...I figured it was the same. Hated the rear end to much to consider it I guess . I COMPLETELY agree with you on the tuning tool...Xs need a tune bad

Last edited by love9sick; Mar 31, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 02:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

Agreed that the 135 interior is a step down from the 335. But, it's a nicer interior than the Evo. I guess that's a matter of personal preference though as some may say the Evo is better in their eyes.

You are right about the power delivery difference. The 135i just hauls from 1500rpm all the way to redline and pulls hard in every gear. The X didn't feel that way (especially with the way the car just dies up top).

Agree that the 135 doesn't handle as well as the Evo. The Evo just feels more planted to the ground and feels like it wants to be pushed even harder. The 135 doesn't inspire as much confidence. The tires on it are HORRID. They start screaming well before you reach the limits of the suspension. I test-drove both on the same road (probably 1 hour after the other). The Evo did handle better

Originally Posted by love9sick
I completely agree and I plan to track my car eventually. I hope to see a 135i there for some good fun laps. I would never claimed the 135i is not a good performing car. I think(this is just an assumption though) that the EVO will go around the bends quicker even in stock form. These advans and the AWD system create grip that scares the hell out of me every time. Driver makes a huge difference on the track as well though. When I was deciding between the cars it was really the rear end of the 135i that I just disliked...an opinion I know but it bugged me so I decided to go with the EVO. Not to mention the 135i was turning out to be more expensive with the same options like NAVI and stuff. Not by a lot though.
Hell yeah. Get out there and track that bad boy (well, without a beer of course). I agree (from the test-drives that I did) that the Evo will hold more speed in the turns and have better exit speeds. But, that 135 sure does haul *** once it's moving so if there are long straights on the course, the 135 should have enough grunt to make up for slower exit speeds.

And if you don't like the rear end, that's cool. We all know aesthetics play a huge part in dropping $35k on a car. Can't hate on someone for not liking the way a car was designed. Actually, it's good that you stuck to your guns and bought the car that pleased you most. I personally don't like the rear end on either car, so I would be choosing between the lesser of two evils
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:30 PM

evo x or bmw 135i

i love the evo x bmw 135i seems more plush how comfortable is the back seat on the evo x i want something to take friends with. probably looking to buy next week im paying cash btw
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bimmer
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:32 PM

x the 1 series looks like a ***** car
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think you should get the 135 white with auto trans and tan int. Then get a butterfly tat on your lower back.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah you have to get the butterfly tat on your back after you place an equal rights sticker on your bumper. Get an X, if your looking to haul friends around have you ever considered a station wagon? J/K, buy whatever you feel fits your situation the best.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Look in this same forum. A thread similar to this already exists and has quite a bit of info.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

in canada the135i is cheaper then the x and comes with more standard options then the US 135i. The 135i is definately the better deal here.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rootus
You don't know what you're talking about. For corner exit power, 0-60 times mean nothing. Go look at 5-60, suddenly the Evo isn't sub-5, it's more like high-5. The 135i would run away. The 0-60 advantage comes strictly from the ability to dump the clutch at high RPM. That's only a benefit from a standing start -- i.e. drag race.
Well lets see since your so smart! And miss understood me. That was the set up of turns out at the last time attack event I was at and every single car started at a DEAD stop and ran out about 60 yards to a hair pin and so on and the 0-60 times made huge time gap on the track AND the AWD's were trashing the RWD all over im talking fycking EVO's ripping up Lotus's, BMW's, Corvette's,and Viper's. And the X MR Is going to be a beast of a road car with the SAWD and shedding weight from GSX model plus it gets the new 6 speed twin clutch paddle shift'n tranny. This X is more of a road course car then any of the last gens leaning away from Rally and puttin more focus on street. Not only is it going to get off the line fast it turns like a dragonfly (.98 G's on a 200ft skid pad) you have got to be kiddn me. Those EVO'S were crapn out Beamer boys like last nights Burritos and the X is going to do the same.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

from the viewpoint of the masses the BMW is the car to own.

from the viewpoint of a guy who thinks and makes his decisions based on what he wants vrs what people want him to want then you might make the case for a mitsubishi.

like me, having had no interest in a X, I can't get over the marketing power of the bmw. without ever even seeing either I want the bmw. I'm that weak. I'm not going to get one, but still...
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nothere
I can't get over the marketing power of the bmw. without ever even seeing either I want the bmw. I'm that weak. I'm not going to get one, but still...
That is kind of sad man.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, there are tears in my eyes too

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)