Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said in a different thread the 135i is actually cheaper than the X in Canada. And the 135i in Canada has more standard options then in the usa. So If you're in Canada the 135i is the better deal.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
Like I said in a different thread the 135i is actually cheaper than the X in Canada. And the 135i in Canada has more standard options then in the usa. So If you're in Canada the 135i is the better deal.
Just cause the Evo X is a bad deal (expensive as hell) doesn't mean the 135i in Canada is a good deal
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

I said "better deal" not good deal. Mitsu outpriced itself in Canada, And personally I think buying an Evo in canada is a bad deal. I'm very disappointed.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

I have been having this debate (135i vs Evo X) for a while now.
A couple weeks ago I went to test drive the 135i to confirm that the Evo X was better....oops. Simply put the 135i was a blast. I really like the fact that it is a small car, and it looks amazing in person (like the Evo X) compared to pictures.
As far as fit, I am 6' 3" and had to move the seat forward about 4"...it has plenty of room (in the front). This car just feels fast. The engine just pulls straight to redline with no hesitation or lag (other than the drive by wire lag).
I didnt really push it but I'm sure the Evo can handle a bit better on a road course, but its a hard call to make at this point.
Interior is not a concern for me. I don't like the interior in either car.

As far as the 135i being a chick's car, you are darn right. I asked my gf and several other women which they liked and it was 100% the BMW. I know which car will get me some action (I am constantly being asked if I have gotten it yet and when they can go for a ride).

I have to also agree with the person who mentioned dealer support...they are worlds apart. I go into the Mitsubishi dealerships, and have to explain the Evo X to the salesman, and even though I drive there in an Evo , cannot get a test drive.
I go into the BMW dealership, get out of my car (my nissan versa this time), mention to the closest sales guy that I'm interested in the 135i, and the first thing out of his mouth is "do you want to test drive it?". So in about 4 minutes i'm in a 500+ mile test drive model, with the sales guy telling me to step on it. He had total knowledge of the car, and had owned an STI in the past.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Apr 8, 2008 at 05:40 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

camry
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I also have been in this debate for several months even before both cars came out. To cut to the chase my 135 just entered production this week.
What did it for me was dealer support like TearItUpSports mentioned. I have been waiting patiently for word on the MR coming out but nothing! Got rumors all over but no official info from Mitsu. Its like they could care less about the U.S. bmw released info about the 135 long before it was released. you can build one online, order, get quotes and just about everything else. Mitsu updated their site with the ability to build and order an evo months AFTER the car was released.

Mitsu gives you a 3yr warranty with nothing. bmw gives you a 4 year warranty with free oil changes and maintence. hell if you let them know in advance they will even come drop off a rental bmw and take urs then swap when done. you dont even have to go to the dealership for an oil change!

There are only 2 Mitsu dealerships within my reach and the closest is 30min. One is riddled with lawsuits and the other could easily be mistaken for a junkjard. Yea you buy this car to mod not for warranty work at the dealership but I was planning on getting an MR. I have a feeling when it is finally released there will be future problems with the new tranny and need to be taken in numerous times.
The bmw dealership is 5min away. They also sell ferraris and maseratis in the same building which is a plus for me. Nice treat when I have to come in for something.

Finally how are you treated by the sales people at the dealership? I was ignored at Mitsu. walked around the lot and circled a few evos multiple times right infront of the dealership in plain site of everyone there. No one came to ask me if I needed help. One guy walked buy and didnt even aknowledge me. Everyone looked pissed to be there. this place was like night and bmw was like day. parked right next to a 135 and looked at it for 5min before someone came and asked me if i wanted to take it for a spin. drove it for quite some time with the guy in the back telling me to step on it. ended up ordering right after the test drive because the service there was so good. Even got a cool waiting room right where the ferraris are with free food and drink. got the pleasure of hearing one of those bad boys rev up while signing papers. After I placed my order I got a cool mousepad with an m3, gold keychain with a bmw symbol and few booklets.

To me I could care less if this car can do 0-60 in 5.1 and the other can do it in 4.8 or if this one has 4 doors or 2 or if this car is rwd or awd. How often do you dragrace or drive hard in snow where that really matters? Maybe in canada where its probably snowing 24/7 but not here in the states. yea it snows but trucks are out plowing and sanding before you even see the first flake. What matters most is my experience at the dealership since I am young and plan on buying more cars in the future.

ok my lil bit is over. killed some time here at work :-P everyone is different and will buy either one of these cars for many other reasons then mine. just wanted to share what swayed me over to one car compared to the other.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by xXEVOloverXx
i like both car so much ,don;t know which one to pick,hope u guys give me some idea since they are same performance and same price range,exterior evo is more agressive,interior bmw rocks.
I personally like the 135i
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

Plus you can do European Delivery on BMWs and that's sweet. I wtill would take the Evo, but not at its rediculous Canadian price. So next spring I will probably be taking European Delivery of a new 135i. If mitsu had not out priced themselves or they had allowed us to import Evos to Canada I would have had one by now.

That's the other thing that irritates me is that mitsubishi is hiding behind the import list by stating that you can't modify US Evos to meet Canadian standards, which make the Evo inadmissable. And we all know that this is BS and it would just be a matter of swapping bumpers.

So I think BMW will get my business.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
Plus you can do European Delivery on BMWs and that's sweet. I wtill would take the Evo, but not at its rediculous Canadian price. So next spring I will probably be taking European Delivery of a new 135i. If mitsu had not out priced themselves or they had allowed us to import Evos to Canada I would have had one by now.

That's the other thing that irritates me is that mitsubishi is hiding behind the import list by stating that you can't modify US Evos to meet Canadian standards, which make the Evo inadmissable. And we all know that this is BS and it would just be a matter of swapping bumpers.

So I think BMW will get my business.
We can do European delivery in Canada?!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jenx1976
if you plan to mod, the EVO would probly be cheaper......either way both cars will be amazing!!!!but for me, the only bmw to pick over the evo is an m3.
I was in the market for both the 135i and the X, but I have made my decision and totally agree with this statement.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
We can do European delivery in Canada?!
We certainly can, I don't have all the information right now, but I know for a fact it is offered. It's not as good as the program BMW NA offers, it supposedly lacks the 7% discount and you have to pay for your insurance at BMWs discount rate. Of course, you can bargain with them about it. But I think the opportunity to go drive your new car in Europe and have it shipped home for free is awesome. Go to your local BMW dealership to find out more.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jenx1976
if you plan to mod, the EVO would probly be cheaper......either way both cars will be amazing!!!!but for me, the only bmw to pick over the evo is an m3.
Originally Posted by salukidude
I was in the market for both the 135i and the X, but I have made my decision and totally agree with this statement.

wow...u guys gotta do a lil more homework before jumping to conclusions about which one would be cheaper to mod. with two simple mods (exhaust/flash), the 135i would smoke an evo x with the same exact mods.
so once again, i'll repost my earlier post on this thread:
Originally Posted by pekpekbuster
stock bmw335i (same motor as 135i) is 300hp @300lb tq. then with just exhaust and a flash, the 6 cyl twin turbo actually jumps to 390hp@400lb tq w/vishnu's stage zero package ($1295). also, under higher boost settings, the bmw's TT/V6 automatically adjusts it's fuel intake to the proper settings. don't believe me? here u go:
http://www.vishnutuning.com/bmw_zero.htm
Stage Zero

Includes:
Vishnu PROcede v2 Computer
Plug-and-Play Harness
(no wire cutting!)

Performance (91-93 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.4 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.7s @ 111mph

Performance (100 Octane):
0-60mph in 4.3 seconds (est.)
¼ mile 12.5s @ 113mph

Installation difficulty:
Novice

Estimated Installation Time:
30-45 mins

Price:
$1295 Vishnu PROcede

also, if you're talking about the price difference between the two, they're exactly the same ($40k). the evo X already has an additional $5k markup on it so it comes out to $40k before tax and license. i love my evo8 but mitsubishi's warranty really sucks. i had to pay for my own clutch change a month after i got the car, when they said they'd take care of it when i bought the car (adressed during purchase). even with warranty, i have to pay for my own brakes, oil, and i'm not sure if the tranny is considered wear and tear also. and i just paid $400 for my 30k mile service last week.
..........with bmw, pretty much all you have to pay for is tires.

so in conclusion, the BMW 135i/335i is a damn better bang for buck!.....IMO

BTW....AWD Audi S5 vs RWD BMW 335i
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aHj0zbhjLZI
and if awd is your thing, the 335xi is already out too.

Last edited by pekpekbuster; Apr 9, 2008 at 01:34 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

wow...u guys gotta do a lil more homework before jumping to conclusions about which one would be cheaper to mod. with two simple mods (exhaust/flash), the 135i would smoke an evo x with the same exact mods.

Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Coming out of a Vishnu PROcede v2 335i, I can tell you that you're flat out wrong. While the 3 series has infinitely better torque and area under the curve, a tuned X with an exhaust will more than give a similarly modded 1/3 a run for its money.

Plus, the Bimmers are peg leg mobiles. Any contest of acceleration at 30mph or below, the BMW is going to get dusted.

My money is on the Evo being ahead until the top of 4th, then the BMW blowing by with relative ease. Still, that's over 110mph. Unless you are doing ricerbish rolls on the interstate and tempting fate of getting thrown in jail, its not really useful.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 135i and much moreso the 335i, but the X factory mapping is so crappy, that it has a lot more to gain through tuning.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

The 135 will definitely be more expensive to mod. Anyone who says otherwise hasnt owned a BMW before. Mod for mod the EVO is going to be cheaper and produce better power. Vishnu himself has even stated this engine responds better than the 135/335/535 engine.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)