Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill take the 135I
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jackygor
Ya, another thing is the Evo has one less turbo, 1 liter less of displacement, and 2 less cylinders, that is why it didn't do so well in the straights.
Yea and runs almost 3x times the amount of boost. Thats a cop out. Its never hindered an evo putting out power out of a "single turbo 2.0l" Problem is the car is a pig...has nothing to do with the power. Its AWD but 2 seconds slower to 100mph.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
Yea and runs almost 3x times the amount of boost. Thats a cop out. Its never hindered an evo putting out power out of a "single turbo 2.0l" Problem is the car is a pig...has nothing to do with the power. Its AWD but 2 seconds slower to 100mph.
While this is true, it is not what I was trying to convey in that post. The it-is-not-fair-that-this-car-runs-on-flat argument is getting old, yes I acknowledge that when a car is equipped with a sticky tire, it will perform better. I think it is completely fair to compare both cars, in the context of performance anyways , since they are both in stock form. Of course BMW knows that 135i will perform better if it isn't running on flats, but once you start modding your car, yes I do consider upgrading your tires a form of modification, then all bets are off.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Like I said, as a Canadian, the 135i is the better deal.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
Like I said, as a Canadian, the 135i is the better deal.
+
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:05 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
And those times were in the heavier, and slower, MR.
Ummm.......... the MR is faster in the road course, that has been proven

Last edited by davaoevo; Apr 11, 2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by jenx1976
if you plan to mod, the EVO would probly be cheaper......either way both cars will be amazing!!!!but for me, the only bmw to pick over the evo is an m3.
^ +1
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
While this is true, it is not what I was trying to convey in that post. The it-is-not-fair-that-this-car-runs-on-flat argument is getting old, yes I acknowledge that when a car is equipped with a sticky tire, it will perform better. I think it is completely fair to compare both cars, in the context of performance anyways , since they are both in stock form. Of course BMW knows that 135i will perform better if it isn't running on flats, but once you start modding your car, yes I do consider upgrading your tires a form of modification, then all bets are off.

^^^ +1
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
And those times were in the heavier, and slower, MR.
you're kidding right? heavier, yes. Slower? no. faster in a straight than your gsr and much faster around a track, the dual clutch has 6 gears and drives itself better than the magazine testers could . they kept in auto and let the transmission + s-awc do all the driving. Against that, they used an automatic 135i and only beat it around the track by a small percentage. i think it would be a lot closer if it was stick 135 vs. gsr. not saying the 135 would win, but it'd be a lot closer.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Well, most tests have shown the GSR to be faster in 0-60 and the quarter mile times because it launches a lot harder than the sst does. And the times on most road coarses are not much different between the two models, usually around a second, which is typical of any f1 style tranny vs it's stick counterpart. Oh, and beating the 135 by 3.5 seconds isn't a "small percentage," it's a slaughter. One second on a track is like a football field in length. The beamer got destroyed, get over it.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Oh, and beating the 135 by 3.5 seconds isn't a "small percentage," it's a slaughter. One second on a track is like a football field in length. The beamer got destroyed, get over it.
Technically it is a small percentage. You may interpret it as a slaughter. The test track was pretty long.

And maybe on a different track the results would be different. MT did point out that the Evo did really well on the downhill parts of the track. Maybe that weight comes in handy after all .
Old Apr 10, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
"One one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one thousand, four one/"

Say that at a normal speed while picturing waiting for a car to come flyign by at over 100mph... 3.5 seconds on a race-car track is a slaughter. Talking about percentage of the course time is a pointless comparisson used to make people feel better about the loosing car. Watch any race, even foot races, 3.5 seconds seems like an eternity.

Still, the 135 is no doubt an impressive automobile and a great car for alot of people.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootus
Technically it is a small percentage. You may interpret it as a slaughter. The test track was pretty long.

And maybe on a different track the results would be different. MT did point out that the Evo did really well on the downhill parts of the track. Maybe that weight comes in handy after all .
No, it IS a slaughter. It's not how I interpret it, it's just how it is. 3.5 seconds is an *** kicking, period. You have obviously never been on a race track before and know nothing about racing. Put it this way, at 100 miles an hour you are covering a football field a second, so a 3.5 second difference is an absolute *** wooping. Now it varies depending on the length of the straight before the start/finish line, but you get the point. The 135i is a very nice daily driver/ straight line cruiser, but it is nota track machine lie the evo, and the lap times are quite representative of that. Period.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it would have been better to compare a manual to a manual...may have benefitted each car in it's own respect. Not an automatic vs a sequential. Tires are what kill the 135i times on the roadcourse. Either way it would be hard for it to outperform the X in the handling department...that is its strongest asset. Strait line speed and build quality not so much To me the only thing that kills the 135i is the looks...if it looked better it would be a hands down no questions asked decision over the X.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
No, it IS a slaughter. It's not how I interpret it, it's just how it is. 3.5 seconds is an *** kicking, period. You have obviously never been on a race track before and know nothing about racing. Put it this way, at 100 miles an hour you are covering a football field a second, so a 3.5 second difference is an absolute *** wooping.
Check your math before name calling. You're thinking 200 mph.

The reality is that 3.4 seconds at the track they were on is a 2% difference. There are a lot of factors at play that can swing that number in either direction. Plus, in any real track situation the cars are going to be on R comps, and the 135i will benefit more from those than the Evo will.

Quit magazine racing, anyway, and come out and play. Don't Evo guys ever come out to the track? For every Evo I see at the track, I see 5 times as many STI's .

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)