Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rootus
Check your math before name calling. You're thinking 200 mph.

The reality is that 3.4 seconds at the track they were on is a 2% difference. There are a lot of factors at play that can swing that number in either direction. Plus, in any real track situation the cars are going to be on R comps, and the 135i will benefit more from those than the Evo will.

Quit magazine racing, anyway, and come out and play. Don't Evo guys ever come out to the track? For every Evo I see at the track, I see 5 times as many STI's .

were you at the alfa day? but yeah your observation is close if not right.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears87
I think it would have been better to compare a manual to a manual...may have benefitted each car in it's own respect. Not an automatic vs a sequential. Tires are what kill the 135i times on the roadcourse. Either way it would be hard for it to outperform the X in the handling department...that is its strongest asset. Strait line speed and build quality not so much To me the only thing that kills the 135i is the looks...if it looked better it would be a hands down no questions asked decision over the X.
you summed it up. Looks killed it for me or i could have happily spent 45K over this little *BMW*asset.

It look GAY
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reality is that 3.4 seconds at the track they were on is a 2% difference. There are a lot of factors at play that can swing that number in either direction. Plus, in any real track situation the cars are going to be on R comps, and the 135i will benefit more from those than the Evo will.

Quit magazine racing, anyway, and come out and play. Don't Evo guys ever come out to the track? For every Evo I see at the track, I see 5 times as many STI's .
It's because us Evo's are more rare then those pos Subbies j/k You know every time I AutoX we are always outnumbered 10 to 1 by the Subbies. Too bad I have only been beaten by one that was a class above me.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
As far as the EVO X, I haven't the slightest idea how tunnable it will be. I guess we will have to wait to see. But I know there is potential for power, because Mitsubishi already has EVO X FQ series ready for upcoming release in the UK market. So there must be some potential. Will it be better than a 4G63, probably not as far as the long run, I just don't forsee a future of 1000whp 4B11s, sorry. But the car may gain some great power bolt on power wise, and a large percantage of EVO owners do not go past the bolt on mod stage.
Why are people so upset about the 4B11 may not get to 1000whp? Honestly, do you even need that much power? 99.9% of the people can't handle that much power anyways....the car won't turn and the chassis won't withstand that much power. So what for? So that you can brag to your neighbors and ladies about your 4G63 has the potential to make 10000000whp?

And if you need that much power just to drag race your EVO, maybe you should not have bought one to begin with.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pretty much scanned all the pages of this monster and didn't see this picture so I thought I'd link it for you guys

Found this picture on socalevo.net

Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Ugh, here we go again. Look, I was making a generalized statement about 100 miles an hour and covering a football field a second. It's not 200 either though, it's somewhere in between. The point is that measuring percentage differences is trivial and not the correct method to evaluate track times. 3.5 seconds is an *** whooping, period.

Visually, if you saw the difference of the X crossing the finish line and then 3 and a half seconds later the beamer crossing you would have a very different outlook on this. And uh, why would the 135 benefit more from r-compound tires than the X? Because it's rear wheel drive? Common assumption but poor logic, especially considering all the comments from the drivers saying how the beamer is difficult to get to oversteer.

R-compound tires produce proportional gains over street tires on every car based on the starting levels of traction of that car. The chassis and the suspension will also determine how much of the tires capabilities are exploited, and this is where the beamer would really get crushed. It's just the facts. If they both had been using r-compounds for that race it wouldn't have even been a race, period.

Btw, I used to own an sti, and tracked it/auto crossed it more times than you can shake a stick at during the 4 years that I had the car, so if you want to "come out and play and stop magazine racing", as you like to say, then why don't we meet at road atlanta and see what three and a half seconds really looks like.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 10, 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

^^You know I am going to have to agree with you on this one.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
EvoM Community Team

The 3.5 seconds is a HUGE gap for a single lap on a track. The MR is a wonderful track car...it's where it seems like it belongs.

But, the article is a tad bit misleading since the cars weren't on a level playing field. Mitsu put it's best foot forward with the best-of-the-best MR running around the track. BMW really didn't since the 135 had the auto tranny (which is horrible) and it also had run-flat tires (which are OEM equipment, but still suck for aggressive driving). A manual 135i with regular summer tires (non-run flat) would close the gap to some extent. The MR would still win, but it would be closer than 3.5 seconds.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe, but the MR is slower 0-60 because it doesn't launch as hard as the manual GSR and it is about 80 lbs heavier. It has been shown to actually run through one of the handling tests slower than the GSR (I don't remember if it was the slalom or the skidpad) because of the weight difference and one magazine said that it's actually softer damped than the GSR.

That may or may not be true, but either way it really depends on the track as to which one will be faster. The MR is usually about a second faster because of the shift speed, but again a lot of it comes down to the track. As far as the beamer is concerned though, even though an automatic isn't as good as a twin clutch setup, compared to a stick it can actually be quicker around the track sometimes because of the driver not having to operate a clutch and take his hand off the wheel to shift. Which, the more I think about it is probably why the MR is quicker around the track moreso than because of the shift speed.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 11, 2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

ok why not test a GSR up against G37 and not a girly bimmer coupe
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by si_to_evo
Just a guess, but maybe because the G37 is a slow NA pile that is pwn3d by platform sharing, complete with major orange peel in the paint, and doesn't stand a chance against the awesome twin turbocharged inline six that is in the bonnet of the 135i.

That "girly bimmer coupe" would easily take a dump on the tarted up rebadged RWD Altima that is the Infiniti G37. VQ for the lose. I'd have a 135i in a heartbeat. I wouldn't walk across the street to take a dump on a G37.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
Don't you remember the best motoring video where the old evos and stis ran against the new X? There was a G35 at the end of the pack and it almost got lapped! It wasn't even in the race. Oprah with a fishing pole taped to her back hanging a box of Ho Ho's in front of her face would've been a closer race.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Don't you remember the best motoring video where the old evos and stis ran against the new X? There was a G35 at the end of the pack and it almost got lapped! It wasn't even in the race. Oprah with a fishing pole taped to her back hanging a box of Ho Ho's in front of her face would've been a closer race.
Haha I remember, omg it made the G37 looks sooo bad/slow, but in reality it isn't that slow, just that Evos and STIs are track monsters. Kind of like 135i vs Evo MR on the track.

Last edited by jackygor; Apr 11, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:06 PM

BMW 135i Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X [Motor Trend]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9xtYz3G_U90
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

I'm becoming more and more impressed with the 135i to the point that I may consider it for my next car.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)