Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 04:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
There were about ten thousand threads on this, so I merged them. I was struggling with this same question in my mind, and I am STILL not sure I made the right choice.

Look through this merged thread, particularly the last 5 or so pages. There are great arguments on both sides, dyno graphs, comparison of differentials, etc.

One thing I can say for the X, I absolutely believe it will have better resale value than a 135i. I had a 335i, and BMWs tank really quickly. If the X can hold its value anywhere near like what the IX has, it will be one of the slowest depreciating new cars on the planet.

Good luck.
Old May 29, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying out to LA and driving your car back is definitely not a CON....break in period is done when you get home!!!

Honestly tho......I'm a huge BMW fan and I really dont care for the 1 series. EVO X for the win!!!!
Old May 29, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

how about a poll on this =]

that would be interesting what do you guys think?
Old May 29, 2008, 05:21 PM
Account Disabled

i love all the misinformation early on in this merged thread about how weak the X is. i tell ya, there are always clueless people where ever you go
Old May 29, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Dont you want to be able to say you owned an Evo at some point in your life?
Old May 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I had a 335i, and BMWs tank really quickly.
Good luck.
New ugly none "M" BMWs tank quick due to all the negative press caused by crappy bangleised designs..
Old May 29, 2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by CC16
I know that when I see a BMW, its just that, a BMW. There as plentiful as civics are where I am. Especially since its not going to be an "M" why does this "status" aspect torment your soul soo much? .
it doesnt, im just saying that BMW has a reputation for producing higher quality vehicles than Mitsu and a BMW is more prestigeous than a Mitsu. now while i really dont care about prestige when it comes time to sell the car that little badge on the front will help ALOT
Old May 29, 2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by fmly evo
evo's hold their value to a point... a couple of bolt ons and the evo is faster than the 135i (probably close to the cost difference) . awd>rwd.

do you have kids or are you planning on having kids? if yes to either go for the evo.

i DD my evo year around 2 sets of tires and i love it.

My thought on the 135i is it is a great sunshine car or second car. you have to have a daily driver to go along with it, but i live in ohio we have 4 seasons of weather (two if you only count winter and construction) the bmw in my opinion is only good for about 60% of the year in my area. this is my opinion and that is all.

STevo
The cost difference is only $1,000, and if a do decide to mod the BMW the warranty will stay intact
And no I don't have kids or plan on them haha, I just turned 18
We have all 4 seasons to, they're all relatively dry though so the while awd is more practical rwd isn't impractical
I really just want a car that's fun to drive, play around in

Originally Posted by ChristianReyes
insurance an issue?
Nope, there's a $5 difference a month between the 2

Originally Posted by E_vo_lu_tion
If you go to a bimmer forum then they will tell you to get the 135i. Here we will tell you to get the X cuz most of us here drives Evos. So if you visit bimmer forum more than you visit us here, the get the 135i cuz thats probably where your heart is at. LOLZ

Im on here everyday haha, I only poke around over there to see how people are customizing them and to see what kind of power they're making

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
You have snow, or will have snow. So the 135i shouldn't even be an option. If you can afford a 335xi, get it without hesitation.

When it snows it melts off in a day, the only time awd would be a necessity would be when I go snowboarding. But when I do my brother has a jeep.

Originally Posted by malves85
Don't you want to be able to say you owned an Evo at some point in your life?

HELL YES I DO haha

honestly if they would just let me test drive an EVO im pretty sure I'd take it home with me right there, but my local dealer sucks and refuses to talk pricing or test drives so all im left with is a great experience and price on the 135i.

I really want a test drive haha

Last edited by guardianangel32; May 29, 2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Just so everyone is clear, the above statement that modding your BMW leaves your warranty in tact is incredibly false. BMW has actually implemented measures in the ecu to detect mods and if they are detected they are voiding the warranty and the dealership has no say. All info at the BMW dealerships is now fed into a central computers and all decisions are directly made from BMW HQ. Just clearing some misinformation.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

omg... the 135i is an effing beast. I watched a chipped one with springs autocrossing and the thing was an effing ROCKET!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cow town racer
Just so everyone is clear, the above statement that modding your BMW leaves your warranty in tact is incredibly false. BMW has actually implemented measures in the ecu to detect mods and if they are detected they are voiding the warranty and the dealership has no say. All info at the BMW dealerships is now fed into a central computers and all decisions are directly made from BMW HQ. Just clearing some misinformation.
Well, you are safe if you stick with Dinan...
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ That is false also. BMW has pulled out support for Dinan, and is now voiding warranties on Dinan flashes. And BMW's new ecu has been developed to thwart Dinan's attempts to crack it.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Here is my take. I currently own a very nice and quick twin scroll equiped gt3076r evo 8. I am moving to california within a month due to a career change. Anyhow my car is getting sold because it will be very, very illegal in california. I figure it will get me in a lot of trouble.

So this leads me to want either a new evo X(probably a MR) or a manual low option'd 135i. I am sure I will have an itch to modify both of them but hopefully I can keep it to a minimum. I have gotten to test drive a 135i, and I was actually impressed. I haven't gotten a chance to drive a X(I don't blame mitsu for not wanting people to drive them) Anyhow I don't know what I want.. I will list some pros and cons..
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Lets go with my pros and cons. First with the 135i I think I will have a lot less temptation to modify it. Here are my reasons.. First the 135i is already a little lighter(yes I know not too much) 3300-3400lbs for the 135i(not 100% sure) and around 3,545lbs for the MR. I know it should weigh a lot less, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Moving on, as far as looks go it is a toss up right now. I have to say I am very partial to the evo's styling. I loved the front of the evo from the first time I saw it. Very aggressive, and just great looking. The rest of the car was ok at first, but definitely grew on me. Interior is nice, nothing special but overall slightly better than before. I do have to say that the huge wheel gape is the only thing I hate about the looks. Don't get me wrong, I do not like when cars are slammed to the ground, but I just don't like 1 foot of wheel gap.. This leads me to believe that I will have to change the suspension a bit. I don't think I would want springs, so it would be a very minimum of 1k into the suspension. Where as the 135i already seems to have a great stance.

The looks of the 135i are a little different as well. I have to say at first it was wierd but again it has grown on me. My favorite colors are the Alpine White and Jet Black. (which is good because the aren't extra) I like the bolder fenders and exagerated lines. The front end is just a little plain however. I have really grown to love the fact that I have 4-doors right now. However, when I think about it(don't have kids) I don't really use it much. I have to say the coupe is a little sexier looking than a sedan. As far as the interior of the 135i, yes it uses a little nicer quality materials. However it is very uneventful. It just seems very, well plain. Yes the red leather is ridiculous, at the same time it is very nice. However I would just take the black leatherette, with the sport seats.

As far as the engine and power goes, stock it goes to the BMW. However the Evo can very easily spank it with not much $$. The problem is, I will be living in California. I know lots of people modify their cars out there, but with the horrible gas. Not to mention the ridiculous laws, I am sure I will get fined somehow. If I got a X(and could modify the MR without worrying about the tranny) Then I would do some stealthy mods. An upgraded FMIC, a one-piece matte black powder coated lower ic pipe. A different exhaust. I don't think I could get away with a testpipe(like right now) I figured maybe Buschur could do a dual bullet muffler setup, with an extra muffler where the converter is, and just weld a little cover over it to look like a regular converter.

The problem is I would be really tempted to do some Meth injection... With the crappy gas, meth would allow me to run plenty of boost and could be mounted very stealth like.

As far as mods to the BMW, I think I would just do a re-tune. Supposedly people are able to get around 370+ hp(they say more, but that seems a little crazy). I think I could leave the exhaust stock and just have a fun car. Again this would be much cheaper on the BMW, but not nearly as much power...

Handling goes without a doubt to the evo, even though it weighs more. I do want to do some track days while I'm out there, but really I will be daily driving it more than anything...

I think what I will do is get a 135i now, and daily drive it.. Then in a year(as long as the new job is going good, buy a X for a track car.. ... I'll keep dreaming.)

Any thoughts are always welcome.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by guardianangel32
it doesnt, im just saying that BMW has a reputation for producing higher quality vehicles than Mitsu and a BMW is more prestigeous than a Mitsu. now while i really dont care about prestige when it comes time to sell the car that little badge on the front will help ALOT
Don't confuse quality with luxury.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)