Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW sport auto ftw... Dunno why you wouldn't want that, unless it is different in the 135 than the 335... I understand the thing about the options though, idrive FTMFL!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by UT_Evo
BMW sport auto ftw... Dunno why you wouldn't want that, unless it is different in the 135 than the 335... I understand the thing about the options though, idrive FTMFL!

A steptronic is not really performance oriented. I've driven a lot of 335i steps, and have no interest. Can you imagine a steptronic on track? Boring.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Yup, but if this deal goes through, I'll be down a couple months. All the ones on the lot are verts, autotragics, or both, and have tons of options. I'm going to order one that's not so heavy on options and definitely with a manual.
Yes please no vert or autotragic Atleast get a manual...don't get all old and gay and go for the top down cruiser
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Unless it's dual clutch autos are a joke, no matter the car.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:30 PM

Yup, but if this deal goes through, I'll be down a couple months. All the ones on the lot are verts, autotragics, or both, and have tons of options. I'm going to order one that's not so heavy on options and definitely with a manual.
The only option you need is the sport package (higher governor, tighter suspention, shadowline trim, sport seats, and ///M steering wheel) its only 1k. Coming from an evo the interior is going to feel awe inspiring even with no options haha
Old Jul 22, 2008, 06:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by guardianangel32
The only option you need is the sport package (higher governor, tighter suspention, shadowline trim, sport seats, and ///M steering wheel) its only 1k. Coming from an evo the interior is going to feel awe inspiring even with no options haha
I had a 335i, so I know the drill.
I definitely want premium hifi and maybe leather as well. I don't like leatherette nearly as much, but $1450 is a lot of coin to consider.

Leaving to see what happens in a couple hours.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 07:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

Since you're somewhere in Tennessee I'm assuming it wouldn't be out of the question for you to take delivery at the factory in Greenville, SC

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte.../Delivery.aspx

Heck, you drove your new X all the way back from Cali...this would be a piece of cake
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:42 PM

I had a 335i, so I know the drill.
I definitely want premium hifi and maybe leather as well. I don't like leatherette nearly as much, but $1450 is a lot of coin to consider.

Leaving to see what happens in a couple hours.

if your going leather think about lemon
it looks great with AW
Old Jul 25, 2008, 05:32 AM

wow, that looks really cool. mitsubishi should have something like that too even if it's only for evos.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I know the rotation is not the cause. The Advan stamp is the cause.

Yup. Trading it in on a 135i.
Noize, as in 2001: a space odyssey, you need to sit down and take a stress pill for this decision is not a good one. Early in other threads you were totally satisfied with the X especially after your ECUTek tune. What the hell happened to make you turn over to the "old fart " side? It can't be the need for luxury, image, no, no this can't be true. I will make a prediction if you do not come to your sences: You will not be satisfied with the 135i handling relative to the X and as a result you will regret this decision.

Later, Ken
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:46 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by KPerez
Noize, as in 2001: a space odyssey, you need to sit down and take a stress pill for this decision is not a good one. Early in other threads you were totally satisfied with the X especially after your ECUTek tune. What the hell happened to make you turn over to the "old fart " side? It can't be the need for luxury, image, no, no this can't be true. I will make a prediction if you do not come to your sences: You will not be satisfied with the 135i handling relative to the X and as a result you will regret this decision.

Later, Ken
I've been asked why I'm trading a few times by different people, and this is probably the best place to share.

My reasoning for swapping cars again has nothing to do with not loving the Evo 10, it has to do with what makes the best sense for me.

I don't look at a 1 series or even a 3 series as old fart cars, but that comparison is apt, because I AM an old fart. I'm 35. I've been married for almost eight years, and I have a two and a half year old daughter. While a two door might seem a strange step from the versatility of a four door, her car seat fits awesome in the back of one of the 1 series they had on the dealer lot.

The 1 series is an infinitely better daily driver than the X is for me. The 135i is lighter weight, the engine has substantially more low end and midrange torque, it returns better fuel economy, it is a ton quieter in operation, the insurance is ~$160 cheaper every six months... I could go on.

The Evo, on the other hand, is an unapologetic racecar. In my entire driving career since I've been sixteen, I only have 4 autocrosses and 1 track day under my belt. I have several hundred dragstrip passes, but have lost interest in drag racing entirely. The point? A car like the Evo is more lost on me now than ever. The BMW is a better car for me more than 99% of the time, and the Evo less than 1% of the time (testing the limits of the handling).

While I like my X the best of any of the three Evos I've owned due to the SAYC, its the VIII I miss the most. That car had a 3071R and went 11s on a self-tuned pump gas map. When my daughter was born, it had a few high power car maladies like anything should that makes double its stock WHP, and I knew it was time to let it go. I've hopped around between an Evo IX and a 335i in the interim, but the IX felt a poor replacement for the modded VIII, and the 335i was my first (and last) lease.

I loved and hated the 335i, because although it is hands down the best car I've ever had, I felt like it kind of robbed me of my youth. Its kind of a strange feeling being double minded and torn, liking both cars for two totally different reasons.

Another factor is that my wife hates my Evos and loved the 335i. We carpool a lot to be together and talk, since we work really near each other. It sucked having to pass on the X and take the stupid CR-V everyday because she hated riding in my loud car. I didn't want to compromise and pull my exhaust, so the lines were drawn.

Since I didn't get a chance to put the X on track, I never got to explore the full potential, but got a great idea of throwing it around on the street. But this is all a long way of explaining that a car like the X is wasted on me. I love and respect all Evos, but it is just not where I am in life right now. Maybe when my daughter is older, I can pick up an old Evo to tweak on and hopefully go track it.

In the interim, though its not as good of a handling car as an X, the 135i is not a bad place to be. The open differential is a PITA, but the understeer can be cured immediately with a much more aggressive alignment and tires that aren't total crap. Since its RWD and has a near 50:50 weight distribution like my 335 did, these cars have a lot more poise and natural balance than a nose heavy AWD car.

I'm not the kind of guy that will go out on a track day and be the fastest guy out there. I go out there to have fun, and I can do that in a 170 HP Integra, an Evo X, and even a BMW 135i.

Sorry for writing a book, but that's the story as best I can tell it. I'm signing papers on this deal and surrendering the X in less than 48 hours, and my 1 will be here sometime next week for pickup.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Holy crap Noize, great post and great reasonings.

Some of them are the same reasons I got rid of the VIII for the Porsche.

This quote right here should be stickied everywhere "The Evo, on the other hand, is an unapologetic racecar."
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

I've been asked why I'm trading a few times by different people, and this is probably the best place to share.

My reasoning for swapping cars again has nothing to do with not loving the Evo 10, it has to do with what makes the best sense for me.

I don't look at a 1 series or even a 3 series as old fart cars, but that comparison is apt, because I AM an old fart. I'm 35. I've been married for almost eight years, and I have a two and a half year old daughter. While a two door might seem a strange step from the versatility of a four door, her car seat fits awesome in the back of one of the 1 series they had on the dealer lot.

The 1 series is an infinitely better daily driver than the X is for me. The 135i is lighter weight, the engine has substantially more low end and midrange torque, it returns better fuel economy, it is a ton quieter in operation, the insurance is ~$160 cheaper every six months... I could go on.

The Evo, on the other hand, is an unapologetic racecar. In my entire driving career since I've been sixteen, I only have 4 autocrosses and 1 track day under my belt. I have several hundred dragstrip passes, but have lost interest in drag racing entirely. The point? A car like the Evo is more lost on me now than ever. The BMW is a better car for me more than 99% of the time, and the Evo less than 1% of the time (testing the limits of the handling).

While I like my X the best of any of the three Evos I've owned due to the SAYC, its the VIII I miss the most. That car had a 3071R and went 11s on a self-tuned pump gas map. When my daughter was born, it had a few high power car maladies like anything should that makes double its stock WHP, and I knew it was time to let it go. I've hopped around between an Evo IX and a 335i in the interim, but the IX felt a poor replacement for the modded VIII, and the 335i was my first (and last) lease.

I loved and hated the 335i, because although it is hands down the best car I've ever had, I felt like it kind of robbed me of my youth. Its kind of a strange feeling being double minded and torn, liking both cars for two totally different reasons.

Another factor is that my wife hates my Evos and loved the 335i. We carpool a lot to be together and talk, since we work really near each other. It sucked having to pass on the X and take the stupid CR-V everyday because she hated riding in my loud car. I didn't want to compromise and pull my exhaust, so the lines were drawn.

Since I didn't get a chance to put the X on track, I never got to explore the full potential, but got a great idea of throwing it around on the street. But this is all a long way of explaining that a car like the X is wasted on me. I love and respect all Evos, but it is just not where I am in life right now. Maybe when my daughter is older, I can pick up an old Evo to tweak on and hopefully go track it.

In the interim, though its not as good of a handling car as an X, the 135i is not a bad place to be. The open differential is a PITA, but the understeer can be cured immediately with a much more aggressive alignment and tires that aren't total crap. Since its RWD and has a near 50:50 weight distribution like my 335 did, these cars have a lot more poise and natural balance than a nose heavy AWD car.

I'm not the kind of guy that will go out on a track day and be the fastest guy out there. I go out there to have fun, and I can do that in a 170 HP Integra, an Evo X, and even a BMW 135i.

Sorry for writing a book, but that's the story as best I can tell it. I'm signing papers on this deal and surrendering the X in less than 48 hours, and my 1 will be here sometime next week for pickup.
You'll be back. They always come back.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We are in the process of finding the right 335i coupe (for my wife). Our big carseat didn't fit well through the door opening of the 135i or else we likely would have gotten it. Frankly I bet it would fit fine through the door with more pressure lol.

She likes my car (well she didn't when I got it but it's growing on her), but it is not comfortable for long drives simply because it is too much work. On the track or on edge, high rpms, pulling tight corners, all at speeds well above any sane speed limit for other vehicles is where the Evo shines (and omg is it fun and I'm smiling while typing this because my body remembers the feeling). But for tooling around with a 2.5 year old, it's just not nearly as comfortable. And I can't drive like that with my wife in the car (the kid loves it though!).

Then again, I'm like noize, 31, married 8 years, 2.5 year old and enough money to do what I want with it.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
I will make a prediction if you do not come to your sences: You will not be satisfied with the 135i handling relative to the X and as a result you will regret this decision.
People said that to me... Some of them were the same ones I passed on track, mid corner... Lightweight cars FTW. There have been many many times where, tires and suspension mods asside, my Pcar could easily out handle my Evo.

When I talk about the Evo in past tense and people ask "What happened to your Evo?"

"I sold it"

"WHAT WHY? What did you get instead?"

"A Carrera 4"

"......Oh, that makes sense"

Originally Posted by MrBonus
You'll be back. They always come back.
Maybe, but from Noize's post it sounds like he's like me... If ever he decides to pick up a track car, he knows what one to get... But, like me, sounds like he'll never EVER buy an Evo for DD again.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jul 28, 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)