Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evofan_08
I'm very familiar with bmw's. My brother has a 5 series and my mother owns a 06' 328xi (x blows the doors off of both by the way). So I test drove the 05 m3 but not the new one. This coupled with the fact that I own an x makes my two cents valid. Have you driven the m3 or even an x meanmud? Anyways op I only decided to say something in this thread because not to long ago I was interested in the ten but wasn't sure whether to go with the 335i or the g37, and after I drove all three my choice was clear. Drive both, and decide. Don't listen to anyone else, because what you have to understand is that alot of people just don't like the x for whatever reasons (especially some 8 and 9 owners). Before I bought mine I thought it would be as slow as a civic si the way people on here bashed it in comparison to the 8's and 9's but it's not. So like I said just drive both and see which one feels better for you all around. The m3 does look better though but That's all I have to say.
oh yeah, and I don't know but may be this will be helpful to back up what I stated earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCdNbZ-Dps
Yes, I have driven an E92 M3; it's not the point - You're street bragging.

Sorry for getting involved in this VERY silly banter
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
tuned evo with bolt ons is not a factory evo anymore, so that is an unfair comparison to the M3.
Sadly for the BMW, because of that price would be nice if the evo would be slower still around a track.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evofan_08
I'm very familiar with bmw's. My brother has a 5 series and my mother owns a 06' 328xi (x blows the doors off of both by the way). So I test drove the 05 m3 but not the new one. This coupled with the fact that I own an x makes my two cents valid. Have you driven the m3 or even an x meanmud? Anyways op I only decided to say something in this thread because not to long ago I was interested in the ten but wasn't sure whether to go with the 335i or the g37, and after I drove all three my choice was clear. Drive both, and decide. Don't listen to anyone else, because what you have to understand is that alot of people just don't like the x for whatever reasons (especially some 8 and 9 owners). Before I bought mine I thought it would be as slow as a civic si the way people on here bashed it in comparison to the 8's and 9's but it's not. So like I said just drive both and see which one feels better for you all around. The m3 does look better though but That's all I have to say.
oh yeah, and I don't know but may be this will be helpful to back up what I stated earlier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SCdNbZ-Dps
Testdriving the car does not give you much to make assumptions. Let put this into perspective. E46 is 200lbs less, has almost 40hp more, RWD so less drivetrain loss, and geared for topend which the S54 engine sings at. Most M3's trap stock at 105-108mph, some even higher but I listed the averages. Stock X don't even come close to trapping at that. I well driven E46 can break 12's stock.

There are quite a few videos floating around where an E46 will easily pull a IX stock for stock. What makes you think a X will do the same when it already been shown they have a good amount less speed than stock IX? Have you not read any of the tests showing how the 135i destroys a X in strait line speed. Guess what stock for stock the 135i is about the same speed as an E46 M3. Just because you happen to testdrive the car doesn't mean you know which is faster. Turbo cars always feel faster.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Testdriving the car does not give you much to make assumptions. Let put this into perspective. E46 is 200lbs less, has almost 40hp more, RWD so less drivetrain loss, and geared for topend which the S54 engine sings at. Most M3's trap stock at 105-108mph, some even higher but I listed the averages. Stock X don't even come close to trapping at that. I well driven E46 can break 12's stock.

There are quite a few videos floating around where an E46 will easily pull a IX stock for stock. What makes you think a X will do the same when it already been shown they have a good amount less speed than stock IX? Have you not read any of the tests showing how the 135i destroys a X in strait line speed. Guess what stock for stock the 135i is about the same speed as an E46 M3. Just because you happen to testdrive the car doesn't mean you know which is faster. Turbo cars always feel faster.
yes i know, and maybe because of that test, the BMW owners are acting like the Civic owners lately...
revving me at the light and so on.. And i'm telling you i'm horrified by them

And when you dont race with them they have the I won smile, wich is great since they can justify they choice over the shoebox ...
You gotto love the new breed of ricers .

PS i'm not talking about the M owners.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
Again, it doesn't handle better than an M3

Unless you've played with the suspension a bit
sorry i think it does handle better , but the BMW can beat the X with power and the power curb, not the handling.
Only reason is why the X will not falling more behind the M ,its because the better handling.

Some test even say the X handles better at high speed turns too. Which is little strange .
But there is in the test.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get an exhaust and tune and ull beat it hands down. discussion over. We've already proven with a tune the X is fast than the IX.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

^Then what happens when you tune a IX
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
^Then what happens when you tune a IX
the same.
Since the biggest problem with the X is horrible factory tune. The mean while the IX have a conservative one. So that is why the X gains more from the tune then the IX.
So they would be similar after tune.
Even so, if the IX is faster then what 0.1 - 0.2 sec?
That is on street, called just as fast
Old Aug 30, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Well I know is an M3 thread but until I see X's run low 12's with just an exhaust and a tune its more than .1 or .2 sec difference.

I think if the X came with a better clutch then it would probably much closer then.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

ok, I'm not arguing with anyone I love IX's and X's and m3's so stop attacking me I'm not a ricer I'm a tuner so chill. I'm just stating my two cents, now with that said my 1/4 time last night was 13.4 with a trap speed of 101 mph which isn't amazing but it was faster then my best friends 6.0 gto. He went 13.5 in the 1/4 at a trap speed of 103 mph. Now, I'm not super good at launches but I'm almost positive that the x is capable of flat 13's so I guess that answers the question that the m3 is faster in a straight line. Now after I do some autoxing I will have more info to back up my statement that the x handles better. Still, for the op I say drive both and then do what you feel. Talk to you fellow evom guys later.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

you can take m3 with under 3-4k worth of mods in any situation, Track, dig, highway.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:54 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
There's some good info and some BS in this thread, so I'm gonna add my take. We can't and won't talk about street racing, so I'll just share some experiences.

Almost every mag has shown that the MR is slightly quicker on track than the GSR, yet in the Road & Track comparo that was linked here, the M was a bit faster than the MR in every comparo: The autocross, the Streets of Willow, Willow Springs, and the oval. I would not say the X is definitely a better handler, but it certainly has better grip. I miss my X everytime I come into some nice twisties. The 135i doesn't handle anywhere near as nicely as an X or M3, so I took a step backward in that arena.

Now onto drag racing and ricerbish rolls, the M3 will crush the X. Crush. My X had a drop in filter, a catless turbo-back, and a custom EcuTeK tune. My 135i has only a tune, but it weighs 200 pounds less, has 20whp more, and substantially more area under the curve. In acceleration, they aren't close; my lesser modded 1 would whip my X so bad from any speed other than a dig it would be embarrassing. At speed, I don't think my modded 1 has anything for an E92 M3. I have the power:weight for a 111mph trap. The only X I personally have encountered would be afraid of in an acceleration contest is Bruce's shop car down at Dyno4mance. It has a turbo upgrade ought to be a little quicker. Then again, if he has the same stuff when I add twin intakes and catless downpipes, I think it might be a fun comparo on pump gas.

One horrible problem for all manual Evos on big racetracks is gearing. Unless we're talking about an Evo VIII or a car with a decently massages rev limiter, these cars won't go beyond 120mph in fourth on the limiter. The X only goes 113mph on the rev limiter in fourth. Fifth is tall in all Evos, and this is where they get just killed by cars with better high speed gearing.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
you can take m3 with under 3-4k worth of mods in any situation, Track, dig, highway.
Straw man excuse. You can get a $3000 DSM, put $6000 in mods in it and annhiliate them both.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I really like my Evo X more than I did when I first bought it. I was more or less annoyed by the spankings that most BMW's could give it so I bought a 2008 C6 ls3 powered Corvette. I had toyed with the idea of getting a 135, selling everything and somehow buying the new v8 M3, selling the X with 1500 miles on it and getting taken to the cleaners on drive off depreciation, or figuring out how I could afford to keep the X and get something awesome that wasn't $50k. GM is really having some good discounts and I fell into a c6...

The new 430 hp ls3 is violent and is exactly the opposite of everything the X is about. I actually really appreciate the awd handling much more with the X as the vette, while a really good handling coupe, is a handful with as much torque as it has going through only the rear tires. The evo still feels fast (in a quick sort of turbo way) and I really only plan to do the easy tune and call it good.

I don't know about the evo being the one and only car that can take on anything else..just like it for what it does good. Perhaps in the future, there will be solid ways to make 500 whp with them, but I have had enough cars in my life to know when to stop and just buy a more powerful ride.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

E92 M3 is amazing. Great power and handling, but also luxurious and daily drivable. The Evo X is not even in the same league.

New M3 coupe with DCT is probably going to be my next car.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)