Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvieira24
How the hell is a non-lsd open differential rear wheel drive car that weighs almost the same as it's 335i counterpart going to "face rape" an AWD evo which makes about the same amount of power?
The 135i makes 300+ft lbs peak torque from 1400 rpm's all the way past 5k thats how! It's got an amazing fat, flat torque curve....something the peak numbers cant describe in the real world. 330 ft lbs of torque at 1400 rpms will get the car in front of an Evo so fast your head will spin while your waiting for your 4b11 to start spooling. A Vishnu'd 335i/135i will pull a 300awhp Evo all day long and straight rape an E46 M3. I foresee people going from a CT9A to a 135i never having any regrets once they understand that low-end torque from a DD standpoint & racing.

So sick of hearing people beatch and whine about Evo X weights: W/ Evo X or 135i you can remove your lousy firewall sound matt(21 lbs) and trunk fluff and spare/jack(80lbs-ish), remove the useless 5mph crash beams and a mini battery and get down to 3300lb range pretty quick.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^how do you remove crash beam
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
I find this thread amusing ....

Couple of things from a guy who owned a Modified IX and tracked it that now drives a 335i ....

1) The BMW is superior when it comes to daily driving. The car is SOLD, predictable, and comfortable. It has a nice set of features that cant be found in a Evo (ie. cruse control ...lol .... sport seats are as holding at the evos Recaros yet don't give you a back ache on long trips and on and on).

2) A couple of people posted up that the Evo X's interior is on par with the the 135i. Im not sure what you guys are smoking, but look at the photos of the two production models compared to each other ... they are nothing a like. BMW's design is very minimalist and they do a great job on making the interior clean, comfy and high quality fit. The more you drive the BMW the more you appreciate the interior of the car.

3) Weight ... here are the specs on the 335i Sedan vs the 135i

335i: (3594 lbs)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

135i: (3373 lbs)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

survey says! ........ 221 lbs difference ... and some of you are going to be like "thats not that much ... 221lbs is a lot!!! ... guys stripping their interior for track days are stoked to eliminate 75lbs!

4) Service ...

BMW you get loaner cars when you take it in for service. You also get all maint including brakes covered for 4 full years. Can the Evo X offer that ?

5) Aftermarket ...

Everyday on E90post.com it amazes me how many of the Vendors on here I keep see popping up on E90post. Each time the parts are getting cheaper and making more power. Mark my words when the 135i comes out every USDM evo & sti tuner will also be in the 135i market!

6) Handling...

The AWD on the evo is amazing. Hands down it will beat pretty much anything in handling (except the new GTR ..est). However how many of you track? and out of those of you who track how many competitively track? There are a lot of guys on here that say they track ... yet a lot of them dont. If you dont track I can tell you 90% of you wont ever get the full potential out of the handling capabilities of the 135i yet a Evo X ... so I always find it amusing how everyone talks about handling.

7) Pricing ....

Some of you talked about the pricing too ... the 335i is about 4K more on average then the 135i for the same equipment. Just as a FYI my 335i's MSRP is around $37,500 ... I got the car for $42,500 by getting it via BMW's Euro delivery program ...also got to drive on the Autobahn in my car and go to Oktoberfest!

Last edited by M3this; Dec 31, 2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:23 AM

the 135i looks like a fun toy. I am a BIG BMW fan as I've had about 3 different E46 M3's in the past 2 years or so. (All heavily modded)
The new EVO I am not a big fan of, that is why I'm looking to get a White EVO IX MR Edition in the spring as a new toy car as I am done modding my current M3 (sort of lolz).

135i is far from "garbage" as one of you forum member put it. Now the price tag is a different story. Is it worth the close to 40g price tag when full loaded?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by M3this

6) Handling...

The AWD on the evo is amazing. Hands down it will beat pretty much anything in handling (except the new GTR ..est). However how many of you track? and out of those of you who track how many competitively track? There are a lot of guys on here that say they track ... yet a lot of them dont. If you dont track I can tell you 90% of you wont ever get the full potential out of the handling capabilities of the 135i yet a Evo X ... so I always find it amusing how everyone talks about handling.
You should have alos asked how many people drive their evos during the winter. Oh nothing is more fun than a 300 hp rear wheel drive in the snow YEEEEHAAAWW... Not!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilRob
You should have alos asked how many people drive their evos during the winter. Oh nothing is more fun than a 300 hp rear wheel drive in the snow YEEEEHAAAWW... Not!
Snow tires are invented for a reason ... I know PLENTY of people that live in Taho / Reno area and drive in the snow every day with RWD cars and dont have a problem. ... also if AWD is s MUST they make a 335xi which is AWD and they are supose to make a 135xi later on.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Snow tires are invented for a reason ... I know PLENTY of people that live in Taho / Reno area and drive in the snow every day with RWD cars and dont have a problem. ... also if AWD is s MUST they make a 335xi which is AWD and they are supose to make a 135xi later on.
They make lots of other cars with AWD we are compairing two cars in a similar price range not apples to oranges.

Also both tires being equal on AWD & RWD car the AWD will still be much safer/better DD during winter.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

adding awd to the 135i will be about $2000 more ... and NO YOU ARE NOT COMPARING Apples to Apples here .... one is a AWD, turbo 4cly, economy car ... the other is a luxury, rwd, twin turbo 6cly, with 50/50 weight dist.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

adding awd to the 135i will be about $2000 more ... and NO YOU ARE NOT COMPARING Apples to Apples here .... one is a AWD, turbo 4cly, economy car ... the other is a luxury, rwd, twin turbo 6cly, with 50/50 weight dist.
I'm talking about price wise (apples to apples) and no BMW will not only charge you 2,000 dollars for an AWD optioned car.

Oh sweet only $50,690 for my premium package BMW 135i coupe with only a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty SIGN ME UP.

Last edited by EvilRob; Dec 31, 2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 01:28 PM

the 135i was meant to be a car that people could put on the track. They put an m-tuned suspension on the car, 6-piston front calipers, and 2 piston rears. Granted, so was the evo....

What you need to decide is if you want rwd or awd, if your going to track the car or not, and what you want to pay/how you want to be treated when you bring the car in for service.

the 135 is going to be faster out of the showroom, being that those engines dyno at about 290 wheel stock. Vishnu tuned with an exhaust puts you at about 360 whp 380tq. Your not going to see that power from the same mods on the evo. Just know that if you plan on taking your 135 to the track, those engines have been known to overheat. I am in the same boat as you but Im not even considering the X because the car is ugly.

The evo is going to have some strengths over the 135, mainly the awd. You cant compare a rwd car with an open differential to one of the most sophisticated awd systems on the market.

If your not looking to have major mods (bigger turbo....) then the 135 is gunna be a faster car. But at the end of the day, they are very different cars. One is rally inspired, the other more classy, road car. If you take your bimmer in for service, its going to cost you an arm and a leg, while the mistu is going to be more reasonable. The bmw guys are going to kiss your behind everytime you step in the building though.

also note that the 135xi probably wont be out for another 2 yrs.

You need to decide what you want from your next car. When you do that, these two cars wont even be compared.

Last edited by BoostBoy1234; Dec 31, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Fyck it just go get you a beast wright out of the box and forget about the beammer.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

You can read Jeremy Clarkson's review of the 135... he even compares it to the Evo!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=315840
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilRob
I'm talking about price wise (apples to apples) and no BMW will not only charge you 2,000 dollars for an AWD optioned car.

Oh sweet only $50,690 for my premium package BMW 135i coupe with only a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty SIGN ME UP.
Shows how much you know noob

wait for it

335i RWD ($38,900 starting)

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...n/default.aspx

335xi AWD ($40,800 starting)

$50,690 for a 135i? thats funny considering I paid $42,500 for my fully loaded 335i

Last edited by M3this; Dec 31, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostBoy1234
the 135i was meant to be a car that people could put on the track. They put an m-tuned suspension on the car, 6-piston front calipers, and 2 piston rears. Granted, so was the evo....

What you need to decide is if you want rwd or awd, if your going to track the car or not, and what you want to pay/how you want to be treated when you bring the car in for service.

the 135 is going to be faster out of the showroom, being that those engines dyno at about 290 wheel stock. Vishnu tuned with an exhaust puts you at about 360 whp 380tq. Your not going to see that power from the same mods on the evo. Just know that if you plan on taking your 135 to the track, those engines have been known to overheat. I am in the same boat as you but Im not even considering the X because the car is ugly.

The evo is going to have some strengths over the 135, mainly the awd. You cant compare a rwd car with an open differential to one of the most sophisticated awd systems on the market.

If your not looking to have major mods (bigger turbo....) then the 135 is gunna be a faster car. But at the end of the day, they are very different cars. One is rally inspired, the other more classy, road car. If you take your bimmer in for service, its going to cost you an arm and a leg, while the mistu is going to be more reasonable. The bmw guys are going to kiss your behind everytime you step in the building though.

also note that the 135xi probably wont be out for another 2 yrs.

You need to decide what you want from your next car. When you do that, these two cars wont even be compared.

good valid points but I disagree on service ... with the BMW you will have ALL service covered for 4 full years including brakes. Only exceptions are tires and alignment. Also with the BMW you get a loner car while yours is in for serivce.

Also a note about the over heating issue ... that was on non-sport 335is .. the first few batches of 335is didnt come with the oil cooler on them only the sport package cars got that. Now all of the 3.0L equipped engines come with oil coolers to fix that issue.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Shows how much you know noob

wait for it

335i RWD ($38,900 starting)

335xi AWD ($40,800 starting)

$50,690 for a 135i? thats funny considering I paid $42,500 for my fully loaded 335i

Yeah starting at dee dee dee here is your sign.
Evo is starting at 33-34k so its already 8k cheaper if you want to compaire it like that.
What are you 12 calling me a noob? Go to BMW USA and build a 135i with premium package, gps navigation, 18" wheels, and upgraded sound system and see if it's not 50k.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)