Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Where you come to vacation and go home on probation! Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilRob
Yeah starting at dee dee dee here is your sign.
Evo is starting at 33-34k so its already 8k cheaper if you want to compaire it like that.
What are you 12 calling me a noob? Go to BMW USA and build a 135i with premium package, gps navigation, 18" wheels, and upgraded sound system and see if it's not 50k.

Your statemet above has not proved anything ... I told you AWD cost $2000 ... you told me it didnt ... I proved you wrong .... end of story
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by M3this
Your statemet above has not proved anything ... I told you AWD cost $2000 ... you told me it didnt ... I proved you wrong .... end of story
It's not even the same model I said you are not going to pay 2,000 more for the 135i and you go and post 335. Here is some food for thought about the build quality of BMW it's below average better than mitsu but it still sucks. If it is only 2k when it comes out congrats you proved me wrong but that's 2k more to get awp most likely inferior to what evo already has. Put that same $2,000 into the evo and see what happens.

Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

I went to BMW to build a 135i. I was interested on how much it would cost.

Plus, I would want to add an aftermarket LSD and exhaust for it.

So, after taxes, aftermarket exhaust and LSD would be over more or less than $55,000.
That is a lot of money.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

^^^i can get a GSR + genesis coupe for that much money
Old Jan 2, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost
I went to BMW to build a 135i. I was interested on how much it would cost.

Plus, I would want to add an aftermarket LSD and exhaust for it.

So, after taxes, aftermarket exhaust and LSD would be over more or less than $55,000.
That is a lot of money.
You checked options that are not even available for the Evo X, so its not really fair to say, "Look how expensive the 135i is when I check every option - alot of which are not even available on the X!" If you are the enthusiast that loves minimalism and deleting unecessary luxo-like options such as Navigation, an Auto tranny, and other various non-essentials (there are a ton of available non-essentials), a 135i will run you about 36k to 38k. Comparably equipped to a GSR, its going to be a grand or two more and about a grand or two less than an MR.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
You checked options that are not even available for the Evo X, so its not really fair to say, "Look how expensive the 135i is when I check every option - alot of which are not even available on the X!" If you are the enthusiast that loves minimalism and deleting unecessary luxo-like options such as Navigation, an Auto tranny, and other various non-essentials (there are a ton of available non-essentials), a 135i will run you about 36k to 38k. Comparably equipped to a GSR, its going to be a grand or two more and about a grand or two less than an MR.
so let see what the X dont have and take it out.
dont have leather but dont matter since cost $0 in te 135.
cool weather package $600
i dont know about the USB adapter so take it out too $400
Park distance controll $350.
everything else is in the MR in mitsbishi style or logo /M badge is missing/

but even more interesting . The X have and the the fully equipped 135 I dont for more money .
IE:
"Twin Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) with magnesium steering wheel shifter paddles
BBS forged alloy wheels
Bilstein shock absorbers and Eibach springs
Two-piece brake rotors
Large type rear wing
this one as good as the BMW GPS package:
Rockford-Fosgate audio system with subwoofer and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with six-month service subscription; 30-gigabyte hard disk drive (HDD) navigation system with 7.5-inch touch screen and music server function; Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, and the FAST Key™ entry system."

so the final would be $46700. vs the mr full...

and then extra for this and that, so takeoff $55000- $1350 = $53 650....

for the 135I and still probably wouldn't beat the MR with exhaust and intake...
specally awd etc..
I think this is a bad comparision.

135 and the X is not even in the same league.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 2, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings/

Notice that Mitsu is scored very very bad!!!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k270kmh
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings/

Notice that Mitsu is scored very very bad!!!
according to them the worst car manufacturer on the face of the world.
but at least the sport world they doing good.
like the evo we dont need to phrase it...
the Raider won the baja in the close to stock category... beat the toyota and the hummer...
Paris Dakar ..i dont think we need explain that one too

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 2, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

but even more interesting . The X have and the the fully equipped 135 I dont for more money .
IE:
"Twin Clutch Sportronic Shift Transmission (TC-SST) with magnesium steering wheel shifter paddles
BBS forged alloy wheels
Two-piece brake rotors
Large type rear wing
Rockford-Fosgate audio system with subwoofer and SIRIUS Satellite Radio with six-month service subscription; 30-gigabyte hard disk drive (HDD) navigation system with 7.5-inch touch screen and music server function; Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System, and the FAST Key™ entry system."

specally awd etc..

My 135i Coupe
3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $34,900
Alpine White $0
Black Boston Leather $1,450
Glacier Silver Aluminum Trim $0
Sport Package $1,000
Heated front seats $500
Destination & Handling: $775
Total MSRP as Built $38,625

This is how I priced mine with everything that I would personally want/need and its less than an MR. Leather is not included - only in the premium package where 90% of the $3,300 of the crap in the package is excess that you cant get in the X...i.e. garage door opener; digital compass mirror; power front seats; auto dimming interior/exterior mirrors; BMW assist; Lumbar support. It comes standard with 18's - you don't have to upgrade that which is something you listed prior. The 135i can be cheaper if you dont get leather (leatherette) or heated front seats - saves you $2000 and still gives you a better interior than the GSR.

They are different cars for different purposes. If you want to blow the doors off of a GSR or MR in a straight line on dry tarmac for about the same price or less - you can do it with the 135i. In the twisties, it has yet to be determined but I imagine that stock for stock, the Evo would beat it. Do a simple wheel/tire upgrade (equal width tires in the front with similarly sticky Advan tires) and the understeer won't be as prominent...lap times will be comparable. This "$48,000 - $50,000 for 135i" is total b.s. and if you must select every possible option box on the 135i - you arent really in the market for an Evo X anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

IE:
BBS forged alloy wheels
Two-piece brake rotors
Large type rear wing

specally awd etc..

I think you are defending the X but I have a really hard time figuring out what you are saying.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

yeah well the evo i assume will be more tuner friendly specially for the pocket.
the BMW will be flashier for sure . But i would say the X is better buy for the money ,if you are track junky.
besides you will never blow off any door with that setup... Specially if you spend that money on the gsr....

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 2, 2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I think you are defending the X but I have a really hard time figuring out what you are saying.
i'm saying the full 135 is cost $55000 as somebody stated , so its not a bang for the money.
And the X is not even a same league with the 135i.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
My 135i Coupe
3.0-liter, turbocharged inline 6-cylinder engine
Rear-wheel drive
See all standard features
Base MSRP $34,900
Alpine White $0
Black Boston Leather $1,450
Glacier Silver Aluminum Trim $0
Sport Package $1,000
Heated front seats $500
Destination & Handling: $775
Total MSRP as Built $38,625

This is how I priced mine with everything that I would personally want/need and its less than an MR. Leather is not included - only in the premium package where 90% of the $3,300 of the crap in the package is excess that you cant get in the X...i.e. garage door opener; digital compass mirror; power front seats; auto dimming interior/exterior mirrors; BMW assist; Lumbar support. It comes standard with 18's - you don't have to upgrade that which is something you listed prior. The 135i can be cheaper if you dont get leather (leatherette) or heated front seats - saves you $2000 and still gives you a better interior than the GSR.

They are different cars for different purposes. If you want to blow the doors off of a GSR or MR in a straight line on dry tarmac for about the same price or less - you can do it with the 135i. In the twisties, it has yet to be determined but I imagine that stock for stock, the Evo would beat it. Do a simple wheel/tire upgrade (equal width tires in the front with similarly sticky Advan tires) and the understeer won't be as prominent...lap times will be comparable. This "$48,000 - $50,000 for 135i" is total b.s. and if you must select every possible option box on the 135i - you arent really in the market for an Evo X anyway.
Great excuses, I especially like your "get a wheel and tire upgrade and these are the results you will get, even though I never even touched the car I'm talking about". I also like how you forget that wheel and tire upgrade would be another $1,500-$2,000. The reason people select every possible option on the 135i is because evo MR pretty much has every option for the EVO X so do compare EVO GSR to basic 135i

Oh hey you forgot to get an LSD for your car too

Last edited by EvilRob; Jan 2, 2008 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Great excuses, I especially like your "get a wheel and tire upgrade and these are the results you will get, even though I never even touched the car I'm talking about". I also like how you forget that wheel and tire upgrade would be another $1,500-$2,000. The reason people select every possible option on the 135i is because evo MR pretty much has every option for the EVO X so do compare EVO GSR to basic 135i

Oh hey you forgot to get an LSD for your car too
Haha, excuses? Do yourself a favor and go to the bmwusa.com website and build a 135i to the specs that you would honestly want - not just carelessely check for the sake of increasing price to help prove your flawed point that you can't get a 135i in similar trim to a X without paying 45k plus. Half the crap available on the 135i is not available on the X and has no bearing to performance whatsoever - which is what we are supposed to be comparing. If you actually read my previous post, you would see an example of random junk that is not necessary in the premium package.

You want me to compare to GSR? Fine. I want the SSW package as I feel if you are spending that much on a car/Evo - you should have HID's and a wing. I really wouldnt want the upgraded sound system, but you don't have a choice. So that puts the GSR with SSW and a base price of 34000 at about $36000. Ugrade those ugly wheels (in my opinion, a must) you are at about $37000 - $38000 depending on wheel choice.

A comparably equipped 135i has a base MSRP of $36675 with the Sport package selected (gives you 8-way adjustable seats, M-sport steering wheel, and exterior shadow-line trim which gets rid of the chrome window framing). Upgrade wheels and tires for better handling performance/look and you are at $37500 - $38500. If you added leather and heated seats, you'll be at the same price as the MR.

Lack of LSD kinda sucks, but those reviewing the 135i around the track said that it was not that big of a deal anyway. Unless you are tracking it frequently, its not going to be a huge deal. Overall, the 135i is a great value and is going to be very comparable to the Evo's bang for the buck.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

I really don't understand all this BMW 1 series vs Evo X comparison. For one, BMW is a two door coupe that weights about the same as Evo X and doesn't even have a world-class AWD system. Add to that Evo X's SST tranny, BBS forged alloy wheels, Bilstein shock absorbers, Eibach springs, and Brembo two-piece brake rotors, Evo X from performance point of view seems like a much better buy.

You guys are arguing that 1 series can be had for cheaper than Evo X MR but the things that I just mentioned are not even visible on the window sticker when you buy the car but make a whole lot of difference when it comes to all out performance. BMW 1 series, I am more than sure will be a hot little ride, it's just that it won't offer Evo like handling and that over there kills it for me.

BMW 1 will probably be more comfortable but when it comes to navigation/sound system + Recaro seats, dare I to say, Evo X offers better equipment in that department too. Only thing I really see BMW beat Evo X is in the interior refinement and better factory support as we all know most Mitsu dealership service centers suck but car vs car Evo X for the money will be a better performance car.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. modern BMW cars (All X General threads merged)