Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mobile 1 Oil Confusion?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might actually use a mix of 5W-30 and 0W30.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Everyone is stating odvious facts that everyone knows! Why don't you just explain to everyone on why the evo 8 and 9 ask for 10-30 and the evo X ask for 5-30. Maybe that will make everyone understand better
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
bmx

Over here in Singapore, the temperature is a constant 90 to 100 F and 80% humidity. Do you guys recommend that i still stick to the recommended 30 weightage oil?

I've heard and read many differing views about this and was recommended to use at least a 50 oil.

Any opinions guys? Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by YzBrad99
Everyone is stating odvious facts that everyone knows! Why don't you just explain to everyone on why the evo 8 and 9 ask for 10-30 and the evo X ask for 5-30. Maybe that will make everyone understand better

It is called CAFE, Corporate Average Fuel Economy... The 5W-30 has more Friction Mofifiers in it but with that being said, the difference will be that in a Petroleum oil, the narrower the spread between the numbers, the more stable the oil is....

Doc
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
I might actually use a mix of 5W-30 and 0W30.

Now why would you do that ? You are taking the risk into your own hands that the additive packages between the two oils are compatible.

That is no different than someone using AMSOIL MTG Trans Fluid and blending it with MTF Trans fluid... They are not compatible with each other...

Doc
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:40 AM

owners manual 5w-30...during the summer you could probably run 10 30
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I think it's really funny how people think that a 5w30 is too light for summer and that a 10w30 is better in hot weather. Perhaps some of you need to do some more research because they are all the same once the motor reaches operating temperature. Let me break this down for those of you who are confused; the first number is the viscocity of the oil on cold start up, the second number is the viscocity of the oil once the car has reached operating temperatures.

Once the car is warmed up, a 0W30, 5W30, and a 10W30 are all the same viscocity! One is not better than another for hot weather. Now for cold weather, the lower the first number the better because it offers better cold start protection, but that's a good thing even on a car that is driven in 100 degree weather in the desert. A huge amount of the wear and tear that an engine sees over it's lifespan is done when the engine is first started and the mechanical components are starved for oil.

It is a fact that a 0W30 oil will flow faster to the mechanical components than a 5W30 will, thus providing quicker and better lubrication to the engine's internals. But again, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME ONCE THE ENGINE IS WARM. So, if you're going to run a 30 weight oil, a 0w30 is best for all conditions and all temperatures. I hope this helps someone make a more educated choice when the time comes for an oil change.
In a very Basic Analysis, you are correct.

Originally Posted by YzBrad99
Things must not be too obvious to some or the analysis above by STi2EvoX would not have been necessary, and I believe it was...

Too many people listen to a parts guy, their dealership and/or mechanics about oils and filtration and 99% or more of them have No Idea, The Faintest Clue or Shadow of a Thought about oil or filtration, Viscosities and additive packs... Yes, there are some that are knowledgeable.... Most have just enough knowledge to be plain dangerous.

Doc