Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

So, EVO X better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
The X final drive is also slightly shorter than the IX.

Gearing.

Also gearing. Those loaf just beyond idle RPM when cruising in sixth gear

My IX and X (with flash+TBE on both) were similar in both power output and fuel consumption.

The things that work big in favor of the X:
-They can be are driven for fuel economy by closely monitoring the fuel computer, which will make your adapt your right foot to stop wasting gas if you pay attention.
-Cruise control. It makes for a boring drive, but you can return great fuel economy if you use it correctly.

First, its hypermiling, not hypermilling.

Second, you're basically calling my a liar and need to quit. My VIII got just over 30mpg on the highway the few times I wanted it to. It also got the best fuel economy when it had the most mods: 3071R, cam gears, cams, tune, etc.

Stock, it did not get anywhere near that. At 70mph, it would not even spool the 30R going uphill with the cam gears set at -3/-2. Use light throttle inputs, stay at 70mph max, take plenty of time to pass, don't boost, and take the car out of gear on extreme downhill sections and let the car coast up to 80+, rev match just above the speed limit, and re-engage gear. That's how you get great fuel economy in a manual FI car. When I would go down to the shop, I would drive like a grandma so I could tune on my state's gas instead of the shop's state's gas. Those were the times I hit 30mpg. In the night, light traffic, stable driving.

Assuming all 5 speed manual Evos, here are the engine speeds in fifth gear at 70mph:

Evo X: 3300rpm
Evo IX: 3200rpm
Evo VIII: 3000rpm

In rush hour traffic, there is no way you can return 27.5mpg in a tuned X. But you can do it in light traffic if you purposely try. That's the whole point of my posts on this topic.
First, I didnt know this was a spelling B. Sorry Hypermiling...that better.
Secondly, I have no clue how you got those numbers. For example. My VIII, I took it on many cross country trips. My mods were intake, exhaust, cams, ic piping, ic, tune, (Ams). THe best I could net, using "hypermiling" was 25mpg. That was coasting down hill, not going over 70mpg, no boost, and light acceleration. Plus all of this was done in the midwest, some of the flatest areas in the U.S. So its not like I was climbing mountains. You may need to check you numbers closer, because those numbers are completly unheard of. In my time of being a member on this forum, I have yet to hear anyone get anything even close to what you say you did. I am not attacking you, I am just in disbelief...anyone else who had or still has a VIII or an IX, chime in.

Last edited by Asta4125; Jun 3, 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

I routinely got 26-27 mpg at 75-80 mph in my Evo with the 35R and closed loop turned off running 15.5 AFRs.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 08:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Asta4125
Secondly, I have no clue how you got those numbers. For example. My VIII, I took it on many cross country trips. My mods were intake, exhaust, cams, ic piping, ic, tune, (Ams). THe best I could net, using "hypermiling" was 25mpg. That was coasting down hill, not going over 70mpg, no boost, and light acceleration. Plus all of this was done in the midwest, some of the flatest areas in the U.S. So its not like I was climbing mountains. You may need to check you numbers closer, because those numbers are completly unheard of. In my time of being a member on this forum, I have yet to hear anyone get anything even close to what you say you did. I am not attacking you, I am just in disbelief...anyone else who had or still has a VIII or an IX, chime in.
The cam gears helped. Also, I live in Tennessee, and its hilly. I have some hills to climb, but also some to go down. One thing I do often is go down a hill out of gear and get up to 85, then keep the momentum for awhile before it levels or ascends and I slow back down to 70. You can spend a lot of time coasting here. The VIII has a pretty tall fifth gear compared to other Evos. I don't know what else to tell you, its simple math to take mileage readings. If you can't believe, that's cool. If I can get 27 in a short geared X, you sure as crap can do better than 25 in an VIII if you try a little harder.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The cam gears helped. Also, I live in Tennessee, and its hilly. I have some hills to climb, but also some to go down. One thing I do often is go down a hill out of gear and get up to 85, then keep the momentum for awhile before it levels or ascends and I slow back down to 70. You can spend a lot of time coasting here. The VIII has a pretty tall fifth gear compared to other Evos. I don't know what else to tell you, its simple math to take mileage readings. If you can't believe, that's cool. If I can get 27 in a short geared X, you sure as crap can do better than 25 in an VIII if you try a little harder.
True that.....its hard to coast arround hear because its soo flat, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Asta4125
I've gotten up to 27 mpg (avg 70-74 mph) on straight gas (usually we have e10) with tires pressures up to 44 psi, no mods or flahes, and with the wing. Admittedly, I use cruise control all the way (aftermarket), but it can be done.
Normally I get around 22-24 mpg on the e10 and my normal driving.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Damn, thats pretty good. Have you gotten the 2nd reflash yet?
Not yet. I just read about it, so I'll have to make some time soon to get it.