Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Modified EVO vs. STI in R&T

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6850

Sounds like someone figured out how to fix the STI's handling...
Fail.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGC
Fanbois FTL

It's simple... the factory suspension set-up for the STi's suck. 0 camber, wimpy swaybars, dunlops lol

Once you modify the car eveything goes out the window. Case in point...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sti/index.html

That's just simple mods... The same goes for the Evo, simple mods... big difference.

<--- Someone who drives both cars and know how capable they are!
I've owned both and I can just tell you STI FTL. If you did those same mods to the evo it would still be on top of the STi. The STi needs more mods to compete with a lesser modded EVO, it's just a fact. That STi had wider wheels and tires with R-COMPOUND TIRES ON IT, lowering springs creating a stiffer, lower suspension setup, and swaybars and endlinks and it still just barely beat a stock evo X on the skidpad. Then you take into account that evos are proven to make more power mod for mod because the cylinder head flows way better, the turbo manifold design is much better,the motor can handle more boost, and it's got stronger internals.

I'm sorry dude but it's the truth. I had an 04 sti with a catless turboback exhaust, cold air intake, perrin ebcs for a better boost curve, and an access port with a custom tune and my friend's stock evo 9 with just a turbo back and a drop in filter (no tune) beat me by over a car length on a 20-100 mph roll race. Plus the top mount intercooler heat soaks after just 1 or 2 runs and then power goes out the window. On the second and third races I lost by about 2 1/2 car lengths because of this. STi FLT, sorry.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alexander
So what? the EVO marks 47.4 seconds vs 47.2 for the STI.

A difference of .2 seconds can be contributed to driver/condition variances.

All this article really goes to show is how unbalanced the STI suspension is from the factory, as opposed to the EVO's.
I completely agree. I for one don't want to mod my evo any more than warranty would allow (at the start anyway). The evo is just a better car from the factory.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

plus the boobaru is still a hatch. i personally don't mind hatches but for a market such as that of the US a hatch should have been the last thing on the list. Its a very European look and so its not going to have the same popularity in the states that the Evo will. I just think that boobaru really flopped on the new STI but better for us
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:13 AM
JGC
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I've owned both and I can just tell you STI FTL. If you did those same mods to the evo it would still be on top of the STi. The STi needs more mods to compete with a lesser modded EVO, it's just a fact. That STi had wider wheels and tires with R-COMPOUND TIRES ON IT, lowering springs creating a stiffer, lower suspension setup, and swaybars and endlinks and it still just barely beat a stock evo X on the skidpad.
1.02G is not too shabby. That is less than 1K in suspension mods. The stock Dunlop’s simply just doesn't compare to the Advan A13C on the Evo X. The only way to truly compare is by using the same tires on both cars. When we run on NASA TTU the top Evo's and STi's are within hundred of a second of each other. Having driven both cars well set-up I can tell you they are closer than what people here think.

Then you take into account that evos are proven to make more power mod for mod because the cylinder head flows way better, the turbo manifold design is much better, the motor can handle more boost, and it's got stronger internals.
Some of these points are true... some of them are not. For example I bet you didn't know that the fastest stock motor STi went 10.32 @ 137 like 3 years ago... which is faster than the fastest Evo on the stock motor to date. Also the stock block record on the STi is over 630WHP (same car 3 years ago). I do think the 4B11T can beat that... a stock 4G63 has weaker rods. The main thing is that I come from PR and we have the fastest Subaru's on the nation (a bunch of 9's STi's and WRX). We know how to work with them. We have some of the fastest Evo VIII, IX, and the fastest Evo X too.

I'm sorry dude but it's the truth. I had an 04 sti with a catless turboback exhaust, cold air intake, perrin ebcs for a better boost curve, and an access port with a custom tune and my friend's stock evo 9 with just a turbo back and a drop in filter (no tune) beat me by over a car length on a 20-100 mph roll race. Plus the top mount intercooler heat soaks after just 1 or 2 runs and then power goes out the window. On the second and third races I lost by about 2 1/2 car lengths because of this. STi FLT, sorry.
You must suck at the driving (shifting at redline with the turbo out of air ). Anyway a IX has a turbo that is 6-7 lb/min bigger than the tiny VF39 (35 lb/min). I agree... if you plans are to do very little mods... get an EVO! It has a much better turbo from factory. Anyway that wasn't my plan...within two weeks of owning my Sti I replace the turbo for something bigger and better (55lb/min)... I still get full boost around 3,800 rpm (I auto X, Run on NASA TTU) and the car has enough power to run high 10's on race gas, all this with a stock appearance turbo.

The main point is with $$$ and good R & D we could make any car fast (no matter how ****ty it is).
Old Jun 16, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JGC
1.02G is not too shabby. That is less than 1K in suspension mods. The stock Dunlop’s simply just doesn't compare to the Advan A13C on the Evo X. The only way to truly compare is by using the same tires on both cars. When we run on NASA TTU the top Evo's and STi's are within hundred of a second of each other. Having driven both cars well set-up I can tell you they are closer than what people here think.

Some of these points are true... some of them are not. For example I bet you didn't know that the fastest stock motor STi went 10.32 @ 137 like 3 years ago... which is faster than the fastest Evo on the stock motor to date. Also the stock block record on the STi is over 630WHP (same car 3 years ago). I do think the 4B11T can beat that... a stock 4G63 has weaker rods. The main thing is that I come from PR and we have the fastest Subaru's on the nation (a bunch of 9's STi's and WRX). We know how to work with them. We have some of the fastest Evo VIII, IX, and the fastest Evo X too.

You must suck at the driving (shifting at redline with the turbo out of air ). Anyway a IX has a turbo that is 6-7 lb/min bigger than the tiny VF39 (35 lb/min). I agree... if you plans are to do very little mods... get an EVO! It has a much better turbo from factory. Anyway that wasn't my plan...within two weeks of owning my Sti I replace the turbo for something bigger and better (55lb/min)... I still get full boost around 3,800 rpm (I auto X, Run on NASA TTU) and the car has enough power to run high 10's on race gas, all this with a stock appearance turbo.

The main point is with $$$ and good R & D we could make any car fast (no matter how ****ty it is).
First off, I am a very competant driver and know how to use a car's powerband to it's advantage; I've been racing for years. The VF-39 in the STi runs out of breath at just before 6k rpm, and that's where I would shift when racing. However, that's not just because the turbo runs out of breath it's because the cylinder heads suck *** on the STi and aren't good for high rpm power whereas in a better motor with a better cylinder head you can run a lot of timing to keep cylinder pressures high and thus continue to make power in spite of the boost dropping off, ala 4b11. As far as STi's making 630 whp on the stock block and internals, BS. At my local shop we have seen it time and time again, about 350 whp on this dyno dynamics and the sti will spin rod bearings. The block itself could hold that much power sure, but the stock internals will never hold up to that and you know it.

Also as I mentioned before, the STi's stupid top mount intercooler heat soaks after just one hard run and then power goes out the window. I'm not saying that it can't be made fast with the right amount of money, but there are so many more weakpoints that have to be addressed in the EJ25 before it can make good power and this is where the evo excels. The 4g63 was just a better design and the 4b11 is provng to have upped things even more. STi FTL man, sorry. To each his own I suppose, but I owned my STi for years and I got tired of losing to lesser modified evos, and you can claim that it's because I dont know how to drive or that my tune was crappy or that my tires were flat or whatever you want to think, but the EVO is a better platform that always makes more power on the same mods than the STI does. Plus it handles so much better it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you guys but I have owned both and I choose the EVO, the magazines all choose the EVO, and most of the tuners out there prefer the EVO. Don't you think there's a reason for this?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 16, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why are you two arguing about the previous generation STI against the new Evo X? The article was about the NEW STI vs. the new Evo X. And the article was primarily about suspension upgrades. The new STI has a better chasis than the previous generation. So, unless you own both the new STI and new Evo X, the arguing is a little pointless. No?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:02 AM
JGC
Evolving Member

First off, I am a very competant driver and know how to use a car's powerband to it's advantage; I've been racing for years.
Proof? Any timeslips ?

The VF-39 in the STi runs out of breath at just before 6k rpm, and that's where I would shift when racing. However, that's not just because the turbo runs out of breath it's because the cylinder heads suck *** on the STi and aren't good for high rpm power whereas in a better motor with a better cylinder head you can run a lot of timing to keep cylinder pressures high and thus continue to make power in spite of the boost dropping off, ala 4b11. As far as STi's making 630 whp on the stock block and internals, BS. At my local shop we have seen it time and time again, about 350 whp on this dyno dynamics and the sti will spin rod bearings. The block itself could hold that much power sure, but the stock internals will never hold up to that and you know it.
Like I said we are way ahead of the rest of the US when it comes to drag racing Subaru's. Just to show... these cars below are still street legal, running GT40R and all boost. Both are still being used on the streets (They are not dedicated race cars).

http://www.grs-motorsports.com/notic...ro/vid/181.wmv

http://www.grs-motorsports.com/notic...ro/vid/180.wmv

The record as it stand now on the stock block is 10.32 @ 137 and 632(or 634?) WHP. I don't have to lie to you.

Also as I mentioned before, the STi's stupid top mount intercooler heat soaks after just one hard run and then power goes out the window. I'm not saying that it can't be made fast with the right amount of money, but there are so many more weakpoints that have to be addressed in the EJ25 before it can make good power and this is where the evo excels. The 4g63 was just a better design and the 4b11 is provng to have upped things even more. STi FTL man, sorry. To each his own I suppose, but I owned my STi for years and I got tired of losing to lesser modified evos, and you can claim that it's because I dont know how to drive or that my tune was crappy or that my tires were flat or whatever you want to think, but the EVO is a better platform that always makes more power on the same mods than the STI does. Plus it handles so much better it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for you guys but I have owned both and I choose the EVO, the magazines all choose the EVO, and most of the tuners out there prefer the EVO. Don't you think there's a reason for this?
Man you keep talking about petty little things (turboback, TMIC, Cobb ). Yes, like I said the Evo is much better for simple mods. For all those people that want to keep your stock turbos and suspension good for you. But when you get a little more serious things even out a lot more than people think.
And you can see that when we have some of the fastest street driven evos in the country (low 9's) and guess what... the Subaru’s are running just as fast with similar mods and that's both in drag racing and road racing. Like I said I've driven highly modified version of both cars (yes there feel very different) but the end result is so similar! Fanbois FTL
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:19 AM
JGC
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Why are you two arguing about the previous generation STI against the new Evo X? The article was about the NEW STI vs. the new Evo X. And the article was primarily about suspension upgrades. The new STI has a better chasis than the previous generation. So, unless you own both the new STI and new Evo X, the arguing is a little pointless. No?
True!

To keep the thread on track. That car ran 12.20 @ 111 with 1.69 60ft on 93 oct

That was the power it was putting down on 93 oct. The chart is STD so the # are inflated a little. Mods are CAI, Headers, Turboback and tune. Wait until they put the secret recipe (proper tires) ... it should hit high 11's with a little higher trap speed with the C16 map. There's a 35R 08STi running 10's already but running 11's on the stock (tiny) VF48 it's an accomplishment I think.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

"running 11's on the stock (tiny) VF48 it's an accomplishment I think"

Hell of an accomplishment i'd say!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Alls I want is for a magazine to do a run to IKEA for a bedroom and back in the Evo and STi and see who wins with the fewest return trips. No straping stuff on top of the car allowed!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JGC, nice looking STi

You guys in PR put up some ridiculous numbers
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JGC
True!

To keep the thread on track. That car ran 12.20 @ 111 with 1.69 60ft on 93 oct

That was the power it was putting down on 93 oct. The chart is STD so the # are inflated a little. Mods are CAI, Headers, Turboback and tune. Wait until they put the secret recipe (proper tires) ... it should hit high 11's with a little higher trap speed with the C16 map. There's a 35R 08STi running 10's already but running 11's on the stock (tiny) VF48 it's an accomplishment I think.
Lol, 426 lb ft of torque at the wheels with a turboback, intake, headers, and a tune, BUUUUULLLLLLSHIIIIIITTTTTT! Inflated a little bit my ***. Either way I don't want to take this off topic so I'll keep things civil. I have owned both cars and the EVO is the better car, period. Oh and as far as my driving skills are concerned since you seem to be questioning them so much, after I lost to my friends evo 9 we switched cars and the results were the exact same. So I'd say that says it all right there.

EVOs are faster than STis with the same mods. Look, I like what you guys do down there in puerto rico, and the STi with the proper amount of work can be pretty competitive with the EVO but it takes more money, which says all that needs to be said in my book. If you like Subys then good for you, but when I talk about how my friends comparably modded evo beat me from a 20 mph roll then don't be a jerk and make some jackass comment about it being because I don't know how to drive when these results are the same as everyone elses. Have a nice day.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

330-340 whp and 400-425 lb ft of torque are possiable with the stock turbo on the 08's. On top of that it's without cams and the avcs on the exhaust really helps a lot.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
JGC
Evolving Member

Fanboi FTL lol

Anyway I love how you call BS but don't post any proof of your competent skills lol

The numbers are a little inflated because they use STD correction. Other than that is the typical stock turbo curve for a EJ257... Bone stock Evo's and STi put down 225-230WHP on this dyno.

You generalized to much... Well I don't blame you (after seen the subie scene in the US I don't blame you at all!) Anyway I'm not going to waste my time with some 20yr old kid that worries about petty little mods and uses them as a signature.

All I say is go outside your bubble a little bit.

Quick Reply: Modified EVO vs. STI in R&T