Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fog Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by artnsx
has anyone found a switch that would fit into the dash and look like it belongs there? an older evo switch maybe?
i am using the AFS switch i found on japanparts.com. it is a momentary switch so i hollowed it out a little and mount an regular on/off push button switch inside of it. i retained the stock led in it and wired it up as well so it looks completely stock, even lights up the correct color. just removed the dummy plug on the left side of the dash where the asc switch is at and put it there. very clean install.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tipoytm
What about having the foglights turn on the same time as the DRL? I changed my DRLs to LEDs for low power consumption (plus I like hyper-white), and plan to do the same with my Foglights. I hate dealing with switches and would like these conditions instead (bypassing the need for another switch):

(w/ SSS package)
- DRL turns on / Foglights also turn on
- Foglight has the option of being turned off anytime (using the steering wheel switch; ie. stock functionality)
- Will also have the capability to turn on when Headlights are on (using the steering wheel switch; ie. stock functionality)

Can this be done?
thinking about how the stock wiring and lights are i would say no. you cant automatically turn the lights on and only use the switch to turn them off. i dont think the circuit works that way. i guess anything is possible but with what i know about the stock wiring harness and using the method i came up with, it is not. you can put it on a switch or you can wire them to be on all the time. do not know how to use the stock switch to turn them on and off any time you want with the default being on. you could wire the way i have it into the stock switch and it would allow you to turn them on and off anytime you want but the default would still be off.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ bummer =X, how about just making the foglights turn on constantly when the ignition/engine is in the "on" key position?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

^ bummer =X, how about just making the foglights turn on constantly when the ignition/engine is in the "on" key position?
that is completely doable! and very simple. just leave the switch part out and ground the wire. you will need to use the relay method but this would keep them on all the time.

Last edited by gotrnet; Jul 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotrnet
that is completely doable! and very simple. just leave the switch part out and ground the wire. you will need to use the relay method but this would keep them on all the time.
So, basically, do I just piggyback on C-312 onto the (+) relay terminal, then ground the (-) relay terminal? Where do you tap the "switched power" terminal on the relay?

With this, will it also turn off the foglamps after I turn the ignition key to the ACC or OFF position?

Last edited by tipoytm; Jul 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

So, basically, do I just piggyback on C-312 onto the (+) relay terminal, then ground the (-) relay terminal? Where do you tap the "switched power" terminal on the relay?

With this, will it also turn off the foglamps after I turn the ignition key to the ACC or OFF position?
yes just piggyback on to c-312 wire 4 and run that into the relay, and the ground the relay.
it has been a while but i believe it got it from the lighter or one of the fuses in the fuse bank on the lower left hand side of the dash. the just ground the other side out as well.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

i know this is an old thread but has anyone else actually done this? just wondering.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I've done this..
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

is there anything you think needs to be added to the PDF? what switch did you use? just curious.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Just curious as to why most Japanese manufacturer's do this anyway? Alot of German cars out there will let you drive with just the fog lights on, even modern ones. Is there a reason for this because it's pretty annoying IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

soo can we just tap into that wire and ground it and the fogs will work all the time using the stock switch?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

No this bypasses the stock switch. when using this method the light on the dash will not come on to show you the fogs are on. if you use the stock switch this light will work like stock. there are a lot of different options available though. if you use the relay method, you can hook the relay trigger wire to anything. if you hook it to a switch, then you can turn it on any time you want. if you hook i to the DRL it will come on automatically when the car is cranked. if you hook it to the parking lights, then the fogs will come on any time you turn the parking lights. if you hook the trigger wire to the high beam or low beams then it will come one when ever they are activated. and as long as you do not cut the ground wire and only tap into it, then the stock switch will work like stock as well.
Old May 1, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gotrnet
anyone know how to bypass/change the wiring so that you can turn the fog lights on when ever you want and not just when the lights are on. is there a relay i can bypass? so you could have your day time running lights on and the fog lamps? thanks.
i saw one last week at newport news,va
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by antics22
by the way, All I have laying around is a 5-prong 30a 12v bosch relay... that should work, right? Let me know if I have this right since I'm a bit rusty with relay wiring.

Memory serves me like this:

30 pin - wire from new fog switch tapped from c312 wire #4
85 pin - switched power
86 pin - ground
87 pin - ground
87a pin - leave blank

does that look right? Not sure about pins 30 and 87... and whether it makes a difference if they are inverted or not.

Are our fogs ground-to-turn on? or power-to-turn on?

Can someon point out to me where I can get a switched power source? Additionally do I keep the power switch on all the time now to make it work with the oem switch and off to retain the no control over fogs?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

not sure about the switched power as it was like 2 two years ago but the fuse box in the front of the dash or the cigerette lighter. as for your other question i am not 100% what you are asking. it is tech a ground switch not a power switch. the only reason you need power is if you run a relay. the switch simply grounds out the circut for the fogs so that they come on when you want. If you do not have a relay in place running off switched power the lights will come on when the car is off which means there is the potential to kill the battery. if you run it on a relay that is connected to switched power then when you turn the car off the lights will go off as well. i hope this answers your question if not try rephrasing your question.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Switch