Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Meth vs Race gas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well said indeed.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steinvb12
I think some people here on thinking race gas and meth are the primary source of fuel. That is NOT what he is talking about here. He is comparing race gas to meth injection.

I don't know why the one person said you need to change the seals in the engine. He must be referring to methanol as a primary fuel source, not meth injection. There is SO LITTLE meth injected, it does not hurt the seals. You would have to run it heavily for a LONG time to make any difference.

Now, onto the question at hand. I think anyone would agree race gas is better to use than meth injection. With that said, most people cannot afford to run race gas every day, nor is race gas available at every gas station.

Therefore, meth injection is a great way to run higher boost daily. If your car is a track car, then use race gas. If you want more power for the street on a daily basis, then meth is the way to go.

Many people have run meth injection on this forum with no ill effects. I had it on my car for 30,000 miles with 0 problems!!! Every day for two years. If you go to a good tuner who knows what they are doing, you will be fine.
Very well stated.

I have run alky on my car for three years.
First with the stock viii turbo and bolt ons. (367whp)
Now with BR HTA 35R (524whp)

I just recently decided to build my engine (so I can run higher boost) and my shop was blown away at my internals. Alky must act as a cleaner because my engine internals look brand freaken new. BTW...I beat my car pretty hard so I think it is all about the tune. Alky or meth allows you to run higher boost at a safe level.....everyone here knows race gas will make more power...but try driving around on the highway all the time at over 10bucks a gallon on C16.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

do you have pictures of the open engine?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL MR
do you have pictures of the open engine?
Mr, D tell them how much power you made on the stock block meth injected i am affraid well over 500 ponies .... sick i was there on the dyno matter fact i gave him my dyno spot so we could geter done,,,,
Old Jun 15, 2008, 09:29 AM

meth is F ing sick!!!! you can make 420-450 on meth with stock turbo
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think some people here on thinking race gas and meth are the primary source of fuel. That is NOT what he is talking about here. He is comparing race gas to meth injection.

I don't know why the one person said you need to change the seals in the engine. He must be referring to methanol as a primary fuel source, not meth injection. There is SO LITTLE meth injected, it does not hurt the seals. You would have to run it heavily for a LONG time to make any difference.

Now, onto the question at hand. I think anyone would agree race gas is better to use than meth injection. With that said, most people cannot afford to run race gas every day, nor is race gas available at every gas station.

Therefore, meth injection is a great way to run higher boost daily. If your car is a track car, then use race gas. If you want more power for the street on a daily basis, then meth is the way to go.

Many people have run meth injection on this forum with no ill effects. I had it on my car for 30,000 miles with 0 problems!!! Every day for two years. If you go to a good tuner who knows what they are doing, you will be fine.
Well first thanks for the good info makes me feel a lil better about meth. Its funny how half are for meth and half are against it. So what is up with the failsafe i hear about. I heard to use either Zeitronix setup, or Aquamist setup. Now i am guessing these are not meth kits but more as a device that watches your A/f ratio and if it gets to leans that it will actually cut your boost. But i also hear that it will tell you when you are low on meth so is this systme actually connected to the meth any one know about this.

I wanted to run one setup. Just have the car tuned to 30psi but only use 22psi (with greddy EBChigh and low setting) until i hit the high setting on the EBC to run the meth. I know that you would have to start the meth around like 12 psi so it can mix in the fuel by the time it its high boost. But is there any way you can turn the meth off so i dont have to use meth every time i hit like 15 psi. Or will i always have to use it

Also i heard you can use windsheild fluid -20 degree as meth. Is this true and recommended thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:54 AM

This is true but it is a mixture of water and meth, something like 30% meth and 70% water i could be wrong on the percentages though.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

steinwb, thank you for your post!!!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Well first thanks for the good info makes me feel a lil better about meth. Its funny how half are for meth and half are against it. So what is up with the failsafe i hear about. I heard to use either Zeitronix setup, or Aquamist setup. Now i am guessing these are not meth kits but more as a device that watches your A/f ratio and if it gets to leans that it will actually cut your boost. But i also hear that it will tell you when you are low on meth so is this systme actually connected to the meth any one know about this.

I wanted to run one setup. Just have the car tuned to 30psi but only use 22psi (with greddy EBChigh and low setting) until i hit the high setting on the EBC to run the meth. I know that you would have to start the meth around like 12 psi so it can mix in the fuel by the time it its high boost. But is there any way you can turn the meth off so i dont have to use meth every time i hit like 15 psi. Or will i always have to use it

Also i heard you can use windsheild fluid -20 degree as meth. Is this true and recommended thanks.
Regarding failsafes:
There are basically 2 types of failsafes. One that monitors meth flow, and one that monitors AFR. Im no expert on aquamist, but I believe the aquamist kit measures flow. The reason I prefer the AFR monitoring failsafe is that (with the flow monitoring system) if your meth hose became disconnected, and the meth was squirting down on the ground (hopefully not onto the hot engine), the kit would still see the meth as flowing, and would not activate any warning triggers. Of course the chances of this happening are slim, but you know how Murphy's law works. The system I had was the Zeitronix AFR monitoring would trigger a warning when my car went over a predetermined level of leanness. It also had a solenoid that would reduce my boost (to wastegate pressure only) in this condition. It also triggered a light and a buzzer as well. This was a very safe system, as far as meth systems go.

Regarding Pure Meth VS Windshield Washer Fluid:

Yes you can increase the boost some when running water/meth mix.
No you can not increase the boost as much as you can as running 100% pure meth. The best part of running pure meth is that you can increase the boost, AND advance the timing (a big part of the power gains from getting a meth kit).

I like the basic concept that you initially started with (just running meth when running higher boost), but the biggest flaw in that concept is that the car will only have 1 tune in the scenario you presented. You will not get the full benefit of the meth unless the tune is optimized for the meth. Looking at your mod list and your future mod list I think you should seriously consider getting the FMIC and a tune, and see how you like your car then. Then if you still need more power, get the 20G listed on your future upgrades. The 20G will flow more air without heating the air at higher boost levels. It's important that you have the mods for good airflow in and out the engine prior to any further upgrades.

After I took off my meth kit (EVO9), I put on a FP 20G Green turbo, and I was as fast or faster than anyone around here running stock turbo + meth. I was able to run 24-25 PSI daily (with no boost taper) with no knock and about 400AWHP. If you are still needing more power at that point, Im sure EVO X cams will become available at that point.

The bottom line is from me, someone who has run both with and without meth, I prefer without, from the standpoints of the PITA (Refilling the bottle all the time), and the risk of engine problems which requires a failsafe (increasing the expense). The 20G upgrade the FMIC and tune would be money better spent IMHO. The most important this is that you do the research, and decide what's best for YOU. Just don't go cheap, I have 2 friends with 2 blown engines by meth that tried to go cheap.

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Jblade
Hey Noize, why do you say the stock turbo sucks? I thought that some folks out there with the X are around the 350-380 awhp range on the stock turbo? Without cams or meth like my two buddies' 8 and 9.
It just tapers like mad. For example, you can pick up ~30whp with race gas or methanol on the stock turbo. On a 30R, you can pick up 100whp, and on a 35R, a whole lot more with methanol or race gas.

I know what meth mix is- Tons of Evo owners run it. I just think that race gas is a simpler interface, since it requires no changes other than mapping.

I don't need power on the fly, because I don't street race. If I need the extra power, I'll flash a race gas map in and run race gas.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Be careful with this....You shouldn't just turn down the boost and think everything will be ok. The tune with meth also adjusts the timing which you can't run with just pump gas.

If you need to run without meth or ran out of meth, you can still drive the car, just take it easy and don't boost over 10-15psi.

Ideally it would be nice to have 2 maps, one for pump and one for pump & meth. But it is not totally necessary as I don't know if the new Evo X ecu can holds two maps and switch them easily. I ran meth every day for 2 years and never switched to my pump only map. Though it's nice to have just in case.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

I think you are all junkies... In a good way.. Crackheads...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

^lol...this is true...

Hey Noize thanks, for the response
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=steinvb12;5780685]Be careful with this....You shouldn't just turn down the boost and think everything will be ok. The tune with meth also adjusts the timing which you can't run with just pump gas.
QUOTE]

Ok so your saying that i should always be on the meth and pump gas then right. Well i really dont know what i am going to do yet i no i am going bigger FMIC, TURBO, tune, but i am still undecided about meth. Some people say to do it and other say know. Idealy if i can get it where i can just run reg around town, then i can just put the high setting on my EBC and run meth. But i am thinking i am going to have to either run 2 maps (which i dont have a lap top to just keep switching nor do i know how to do this) or just run meth all the time.

Also i heard of people running 100% water how the hell does that work. i dont know about you but i would not want water going into my motor.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

AEM Water/Alcohol Injection Kit and a Meth kit what is the difference. I know the meth kit goes into the gas to raise the oct fuel level. But what about the AEM Water/Alcohol Injection Kit. I heard one guys just running str8 water only, so i know its not going into the fuel system but he was able to raise the boost to 32 psi on the evo x. Some one explain plz thanks.

Last edited by Joe's Evo X; Jun 17, 2008 at 01:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Meth vs Race gas