Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Coasting in gear observation and question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008 | 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Coasting in gear observation and question

*My tone is not intended to be taken as another overly worried evo x owner. this is just an observation and was wondering if anybody knew the mechanics behind this*

i've been noticing that when in gear and coasting either from a high rpm or say about 3500 rpms and downward, when i let the engine wind down to slow the car without braking there is a sensation that a rear brake is applied and really slows the car down. is this just me getting used to the tranny or does the sawd start dragging a brake once it senses you are trying to wind the engine down?
Old Jun 19, 2008 | 06:21 AM
EvoM Administrator

The AWC braking system will not intervene in that manner. Its more of a stability control and will intervene when the car is in a skid. If you have a dragging rear brake, you might want to take the car to the dealership.
Old Jun 19, 2008 | 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

it is nothing grossly abnormal. i am sure we all have that sensation. maybe it is the tranny giving that feeling once the rpms get low enough. i've just noticed when say coasting in gear down a hill around 50 in 4th towards a car in front of me and right before i want to tap the brakes to slow down i get that sensation and end up not having to do it at all.
Old Jun 19, 2008 | 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

My guess is that the pumping losses through the intake manifold working against the throttle body blade are hitting the sweet spot at certain rpms (this is a fancy way of saying compression braking-drive a diesel without a throttle body sometime to really understand pumping losses).

secondly, the software probably keeps the throttle from snapping closed 100 percent for emission..its gonna be a smooth ramp down.

AWD has a lot of parts and a lot of drag in general.
Old Jun 19, 2008 | 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100
My guess is that the pumping losses through the intake manifold working against the throttle body blade are hitting the sweet spot at certain rpms (this is a fancy way of saying compression braking-drive a diesel without a throttle body sometime to really understand pumping losses).

secondly, the software probably keeps the throttle from snapping closed 100 percent for emission..its gonna be a smooth ramp down.

AWD has a lot of parts and a lot of drag in general.
this reply made the most sense for this. it isn't the same feeling as powering out of a hard curve and feeling the sawd working the outside and inside rear wheels.