Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mpg?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just filled the tank at lunch. Did 20.54 mpg on this tank, with a mix of about 90% city/rural roads and 10% highway.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jwoods986
I'm confused, how would adding a sixth gear reduce torque? I'm not very mechanically inclined, so any explanation (hopefully in layman's terms -lol) is appreciated.
I'm not too mechanically inclined either, but I think it's because adding a sixth gear would mean less power to each gear. Easiest way I can explain it is: dividing 291hp/5 or dividing 291hp/6.

And like one of the previous posters stated, the STi has 6 gears, and more horsepower, so...305hp/6.

Again, I'm not too mechanically inclined, and most likely I'm wrong, but that's how I'd like to think of it in my dream world.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I think the key to good hwy mileage is the speed, the slower you go the better the mileage. The gearing is so short in the GSR that anything over 70 and the mpg just starts dropping like a rock. Don't know about where other folks live but in atlanta if you try to go 65 on either 285 or 85 or 75 when the traffic is light you will get run over in a hurry and cause all kinds of local backups.

Hwy cruise averaging around 80mph I can get as high as 22mpg if the traffic is light and I can use the CC.

Around town ~15mpg with all the traffic lights and liberal use of the go pedal.

Commute to work (1/3 city 2/3 hwy) I average 18mpg.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Don't know about where other folks live but in atlanta if you try to go 65 on either 285 or 85 or 75 when the traffic is light you will get run over in a hurry and cause all kinds of local backups.
Thats the damn truth!
80-90mph is a fun commute around the city but it eats your gas in the quickness.

I'm doing pretty decent on gas.
I've got a 34mile commute daily (17miles there & 17miles back).
I vary my routes from all interstate to all back roads, to some interstate and back roads.

I've been averaging around 270miles per tank and then I only manage to get 10.5-10.8 gallons in the tank when I fill up, so there must still be some gas left for me to reach 300miles on a tank.
(Basically back road driving varies between 25mph-65mph with frequent stops and interstate varies between 60mph and 90mph depending on I85 construction zones).

Gas mileage & pricing vs. fun factor definitely doesn't dampen my spirits
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:21 PM

I was getting 30-32 mpg today on the highway with my MR but the average per tank has been 25-30 mpg (imperial) 8.7-8.9L per 100Kms.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maggiemae
I was getting 30-32 mpg today on the highway with my MR but the average per tank has been 25-30 mpg (imperial) 8.7-8.9L per 100Kms.
WHAT?! I've never seen a number that STARTS with "3" on my meter.

(And don't think I ever will)

Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 628
WHAT?! I've never seen a number that STARTS with "3" on my meter.

I've seen it start with a 3 on mine. But with a "." right after the 3
Old Aug 8, 2008, 03:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thrshr
I've seen it start with a 3 on mine. But with a "." right after the 3
I've only see as high as 23 on my meter. But I don't know how accurate that meter reads...
Old Aug 8, 2008, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

Like seriously gas prices sucks, but you're going to need it... What are you going to do sell the car? We probably can save a few bucks cutting down on super size meal (not sure if that is still an option) chips or candy or smokes throughout the day... MPG I hate see these thread because I hate how the gas prices are. I just rather not think about it...

But if you are getting better than what they say on the book you're doing well!!!!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 628
I'm not too mechanically inclined either, but I think it's because adding a sixth gear would mean less power to each gear. Easiest way I can explain it is: dividing 291hp/5 or dividing 291hp/6.

And like one of the previous posters stated, the STi has 6 gears, and more horsepower, so...305hp/6.

Again, I'm not too mechanically inclined, and most likely I'm wrong, but that's how I'd like to think of it in my dream world.

Why on earth would there be less Horsepower or Torque per gear? All it means is you need to shift more often but typically they make the 6th gear somewhat taller than the 5th gear in most situations for highway cruising. Otherwise if you compared acceleration in let's say 2nd gear, a car with more gears would have better acceleration at any speed if each gear was shorter, with the slight penalty of having to shift more often.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost

Why on earth would there be less Horsepower or Torque per gear? All it means is you need to shift more often but typically they make the 6th gear somewhat taller than the 5th gear in most situations for highway cruising. Otherwise if you compared acceleration in let's say 2nd gear, a car with more gears would have better acceleration at any speed if each gear was shorter, with the slight penalty of having to shift more often.
I just ment that the block for this series were probably built to make most power input in 5th gear... They probably ran some testing over and over making sure 5 gears would out weight adding the 6th...
Or maybe for some weird reason they just wanted to screw with us.. either way again I just ment this probably was the best for the car making it a 5 gears...

I like it the way it is! some times i forget that there is no 6th and try to upshift to R haha... I can cruise so much nicer on 5th... the torque is so good making swifting through traffic ease... it picks up like no other....
Old Aug 8, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 628

Sti has a bigger block (they sold out)... The EVO kept its historic form...
Bigger block = more power, but with power comes lost in torque...

Stock to stock an EVO is not going to beat an STI off the line, but time and time again when it comes to twist and turns... EVO will win!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:11 AM

You have to remember that is imperial mileage and not American (3.76 litres to an american gallon vs. 4.5 to an imperial gallon) Also that was resetting the guage on the highway and reading the results over the next 50Kms.

QUOTE=628;5984972]WHAT?! I've never seen a number that STARTS with "3" on my meter.

[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2K2EVOXGSR
I just ment that the block for this series were probably built to make most power input in 5th gear... They probably ran some testing over and over making sure 5 gears would out weight adding the 6th...
Or maybe for some weird reason they just wanted to screw with us.. either way again I just ment this probably was the best for the car making it a 5 gears...

I like it the way it is! some times i forget that there is no 6th and try to upshift to R haha... I can cruise so much nicer on 5th... the torque is so good making swifting through traffic ease... it picks up like no other....
One of the reasons for the 5 gears, is in part, because the new gears are beefier, thus they are larger. If they wanted 6 gears, they'd have to extend the transmission case, and with the new S-AWD, they'd have to re-engineer the drive line. This is also the reason there isn't a dedicated reverse gear. Reverse is 1st and 3rd meshed.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Still Backfiring

Yeah, I get similar numbers to those posted but here is something I have not heard that I think is indicative of OEM rich tune. Specifically, I have had Sean Ivey@Iveytune.com tune my X. Now this tune is focused on achieving maximum power but under load. So Sean raised the A/F ( he did other things as well) from the rediculous OEM < 10 to ~11.5 throughout the rpm range. Now this will use less fuel under aggressive driving but will do little to anything under low load conditions vis., cruizing. I recall Sean saying in another post that one would have to develop a tune specifically for these conditions to achieve > stoich. of 14.7. From my experience while downshifting I still get backfiring which, I think, indicates excess fuel. What is unclear is wheather increasing the A/F under light loads will eliminate this backfiring AND yeild "significantly" better mileage. By "significantly" I mean 2-3 mpg increase, otherwise it's not worth discussion.

Later, Ken