Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anaheim Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine at invoice price, minus holdback. You have to find a dealer that really need the business
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Here is the deal with a dealership. If they gave you what you want for you car. Say 45-50k. Then they sit on the car for a month or two trying to sell it.(losing money to interest the whole time) Then end up having to sell it for the same price, or less at an auction. Then they don't make any money. One new cars(especially ones that are close to invoice.) You said $500 over invoice. That is all they make. $500 dollars. There is a small hold back on cars, typically 3-500 but again that covers some of the dealer prep fees, as well as the interest on a car.

I know it sucks, but just wanted to give you a little insight from a guy who worked at a dealership for a few months... Of course I didn't end up liking it..
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2kvette
Been communicating with the local dealerhips this past month looking to purchase a '08 Evo GSR. I have my 2004 Dodge Viper in the AutoTrader the past two weeks trying to sell. My Viper has only 4966 miles and is in pristine shape....not a scratch! All the Blue Books have the car valued at ~$50K for a TRADE-IN in outstanding condition. Just this past week at Manheim Auction in PA (the gold standard of dealer auctions) sold two Vipers....... one with 7400 miles for $47.5 & one with 6600 miles for $48.6! As an aside.........isn't it funny that when a dealership is going to try and sell you a car.........they always quote one of the "Blue Books" and say what I great deal you are getting "under" Blue Book. But when you attempt to trade a car in..... "Blue Book" values never "count!" And car salesmen wonder why they are placed in the same "group" as....... Lawyers and child molesters! Anyway, they tell me via phone yesterday that they will sell me an Evo for $500 over Dealer Cost and give me $45,000 for my Viper! I get there today, and the deal becomes $500 over invoice and $35,000 for my Viper!!! All I can say is........ Dirtbags!!! Just wanted to vent.........
I'm not sure I'd call them dirt bags, but they should have said $35k if that's what their number is on your car. I checked and there has been only 6 cars like yours sold in the last few months at auction. Very limited market for that car, people are taking some big hits in the markets, I don't think I'd give you anywhere close to an auction price if I was trading in that car. Who knows how long it will sit, it was never a fast selling car in the first place. I would suggest telling them to send it to auction, put a reserve on the car and then see if you can actually get $45k or not, if they do then show it as a trade in or something. Kelly Blue book is no where close on anything right now that uses lots of fuel. Just be happy you don't own a H2 Hummer, talk about a beating on trade! Those things have dropped $8k in the last 5 months alone.

Have you got any bites from auto trader? Offers? Bet if you do someone wants to get it cheap, buyers market right now for certain models.

Good luck!

Last edited by edofloat; Jun 29, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work for a dealership when i was in high school. I was lucky enough to know one of the salesmen real well. When he quit he totally spilled the beans to me on how they operated. When dealerships give you a price on a trade in value, they dont go to kbb, edmunds or even NADA anymore. If they bought the Manheim service, that is what they use. There is really a black book called "The Black Book" that comes out like every other tuesday or something like that. It has all transactions for all cars that roll through any of Manheims nation wide auctions. They are lowballing you - even on that number. If your car averages 15,000 at the auctions in your region for those 2 weeks, they will offer you 12 so that incase they have to "liquidate" your car at an auction they will still make money. I always negotiate the price of the car im buying first and get it written down before i even mention a value on my car. If they dont give me the number im looking for right off the bat i ask them to show me the real-time value that Manheim is bringing in on my car at the auction - which they can do upon loggin in at Manheims website:

http://www.manheim.com/

I usually get met with a "deer in the headlights" type of look, or a stern "I'm sorry, we can't help you any further. Have a good day". Other times, I've gotten a "you did your homework" type of reply and we usually end up cutting the BS at that point and make a fair deal .

To the OP: Good job on doing your homework. Stick it to them. Make them know, that you know, what they know!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

I honestly wouldn't go to South Coast either, unless you like getting teh butt secks
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:40 AM

No need to get angry. Just tell them that you will simply not do business with them. Might be worth it to get a written offer from carmax before you show up to the Mitsu dealership, so at least you have some bargaining power.

Think about this. They're not really selling you the evo for 500 over invoice if they are paying you at least 10k less than what your vehicle is worth wholsale.