Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR revs three times before moving right after start

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR revs three times before moving after starting

[sorry, bad choice of words in title, I should have said "before moving, *immediately* after starting"]

As the subject says, right after I start the engine and depress the accelerator (in forward or reverse), the engine revs three times before the drivetrain appears to engage and the car moves.

The rev behaviour is like this: the engine revs from 1 to 1.5K (approx) and then falls back to 1K in the space of a second and does this three times. After the third "attempt" the car moves.

Is this some kind of feature I am unaware of? Does the car need some time after the engine has started to become ready to move? I am not rushing it or anything - I start the engine, casually move the shifter into R or D, and then press the accelerator.

Also, the throttle response is instant, but there seems to be a lack of power in normal and sport modes when the car is at a standstill and I press the accelerator. It is as if the car remains in neutral for an extended period. Unless I press the accelerator down hard, which I don't want to do, the car takes a couple of seconds before it moves off the line.

I don't think the above are necessarily problems - I have never driven a car with an SST before.

Last edited by ksattic; Jun 30, 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I can't speak for the SST, but I beleive the problem you're speaking of is what was supposed to have been fixed by the long delay of the MR. Talk to your dealer if they're competant.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:01 AM

normal condition. trans needs to build up presure aprrox. 15 seconds i have tested several mr's all have the same condition.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RL22
normal condition. trans needs to build up presure aprrox. 15 seconds i have tested several mr's all have the same condition.
OK, that makes me feel better.

With regard to the slow start off the line (for example, when waiting at a light), is there anything that can be done? The car just appears like it doesn't want to go, as if it is rolling forward down a slope only under the power of gravity. I haven't tried S-Sport mode yet to see if it is any different.

I called the dealership and they said there are no service bulletins or reflashes for the MR yet.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ksattic
OK, that makes me feel better.

With regard to the slow start off the line (for example, when waiting at a light), is there anything that can be done? The car just appears like it doesn't want to go, as if it is rolling forward down a slope only under the power of gravity. I haven't tried S-Sport mode yet to see if it is any different.

I called the dealership and they said there are no service bulletins or reflashes for the MR yet.
what your saying sounds kind of confusing to me...you might be refering to the time it takes before the turbo starts spooling....before it starts spooling the car doesn't have massive amounts of power to get you going from a standstill unless your launching.
And if you think the stock turbo is too laggy just never upgrade cause they just get laggier lol
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
Account Disabled

My MR does the exact same thing. Which is annoying when I try to reverse into a parking spot and the guy waiting behind me honks at me because I paid $40k to wait for my Reverse gear to engage. F-ing Mitsubishi.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo-IX-MOMO248
what your saying sounds kind of confusing to me...you might be refering to the time it takes before the turbo starts spooling....before it starts spooling the car doesn't have massive amounts of power to get you going from a standstill unless your launching.
And if you think the stock turbo is too laggy just never upgrade cause they just get laggier lol
It's not turbo lag - I had a VIII before this. It feels like the computer is not allowing the car to go fast off the line, or that the drivetrain is still in neutral.

Edit: by fast, I mean at a reasonable rate, i.e. to keep up with that Chevy Malibu or whatever next to you. It has no trouble once it appears to be "in gear".

Last edited by ksattic; Jun 30, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This happens to me when I quickly step on the gas when moving from Park to Reverse or from Park to Drive. RPMs rise & car revs like still in Park or Neutral & P or N symbol flashes a few times. Just don't step on the gas immediately (give it at least 3-5 secs) and it's all good. Hopefully this is what you meant.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, & the car doesn't seem to have much power between 1k & 1.5k RPM. I usually let of the brake before the light changes to get a better start.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
My MR does the exact same thing. Which is annoying when I try to reverse into a parking spot and the guy waiting behind me honks at me because I paid $40k to wait for my Reverse gear to engage. F-ing Mitsubishi.
You should direct you highly train middle finger to the other driver and he can wait.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:52 PM

lol, glad I don't have an MR now.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5483

Yes .. known issue ..
It needs time to boot up and/or build pressure immediately after start..

And when you step on brakes at low speeds .. the clutch disengages.. so again .. this takes time when it re engages .. better than the tranny half clutches all the way for response that you guys like .. and you find out you gotta change the clutch after 6 months ..
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

So thats the issue that was talked about before. I never got all the facts but now knowing that I cau say that would get a little annoying.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the tranny is slightly annoying especially trying to get into R or D. Once in gear it is lighting fast. I've had mine for about 3.5 weeks. I come from an VIII and it sucked to me at first but I am getting used to it and learning how to make it respond like I want. Don't knock it too much ****'s
Old Jul 2, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

The slow takeoff is complained about by the BMW people with DCT. Rather than a problem, it appears to be a feature of twin-clutch trannies. I would bet that the engineers spent lots of time deciding about how long to slip the clutch on takeoff. Most daily drivers would not appreciate a DSG-like lurch on a slow start.

Quick Reply: MR revs three times before moving right after start