Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

$7k extra what to do...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Esprit
If she is rich and $7K is nothing to you/her then spend away! Don't listen to anyone who says different.. There are some great examples of modded EVOX's already... you can even start by searching out some of the threads on the EVO IX area..

If you are not rich and $7K is alot to you/her, then take 1/2 that money and put it into stocks, then take the other half and save it in your savings for when the car has a voided warranty or out of warranty.. (or invest the whole amount in stocks and double you money in several years).

read please...

i said her grandparents have the money, not me or her, she needs a new car and they are giving her 7k plus the cost of the car just for adding whatever we decide on.

if i could tell her to give it to me i would save it but its hers to spend on her car, she already has a trust fund and stuff like that.

focus on the $7k for the car, nothing else. what a concept.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:48 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by athletefeet66
autox is planned in august to practice and test our noobish skillz.
Try to make sure that you go. You'll see guys in 100hp sh/tboxes running circles around very impressive machinery. They're not able to do this due to thousands spent on mods. They do it, because they can drive. It's bound to be a humbling experience, especially when folks aren't familiar with high-performance driving as a learned skill. SCCA usually offers beginner auto-x classes at the beginning of the season. It's something that you may want to look into.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, let's plan a mod list for your girlfriend's car who doesn't know how to drive a manual. Sounds like a really good A+ idea. Have fun at the funeral.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Try to make sure that you go. You'll see guys in 100hp sh/tboxes running circles around very impressive machinery. They're not able to do this due to thousands spent on mods. They do it, because they can drive. It's bound to be a humbling experience, especially when folks aren't familiar with high-performance driving as a learned skill. SCCA usually offers beginner auto-x classes at the beginning of the season. It's something that you may want to look into.
i definitely will look into some classes. i would go try to get to a racing school but the ones i know are are a few grand to go....
Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by saev
Yea, let's plan a mod list for your girlfriend's car who doesn't know how to drive a manual. Sounds like a really good A+ idea. Have fun at the funeral.
huh? just because you have the power doesnt mean you have to use it all the time. she is going to learn on MY CAR first, get used to her car, then we mod. thanks for you time.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

does anyone else find it a little odd that the grand parents are forking over $37k in car and "mods". If I mentioned mods to my grandparents...yeah...that look of-wtf?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

oh, thanks for YOUR time as well.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like the both of you are just looking to have some fun. That said, get the X MR, a set of sticky tires, and spend rest of the money at the track.

Since she doesn't know how to drive a stick, she'll have lots more fun in the MR playing F1 driver with the shifter paddles.

Unless you guys wanna drag... well, then get Mustang. I'm pretty sure you can have a 10 second Mustang for $50K.

Or, get the base GSR and a used R6 and learn how to drag knee at 150mph. Now that's speed and fun.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by 93HardTopTurbo
Sounds like the both of you are just looking to have some fun. That said, get the X MR, a set of sticky tires, and spend rest of the money at the track.

Since she doesn't know how to drive a stick, she'll have lots more fun in the MR playing F1 driver with the shifter paddles.

Unless you guys wanna drag... well, then get Mustang. I'm pretty sure you can have a 10 second Mustang for $50K.

Or, get the base GSR and a used R6 and learn how to drag knee at 150mph. Now that's speed and fun.
well the paddle shifters are kind of a gimmick considering they are fixed on the steering column and don't move with the wheel. kinda turned me off.

at first the MR was her choice but then she said she always wanted to drive a stick so now she has the chance. it's her decision and if she wants the MR when making the final choice then so be it but for now she likes the GSR. now we can spend difference between the two models on some practice at the track.

we want it for all it has to offer, straight line speed, track handling, and awesome styling...it was either a 335i, 350z or Evo X and she chose the Evo.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by 08EvoXGSR
does anyone else find it a little odd that the grand parents are forking over $37k in car and "mods". If I mentioned mods to my grandparents...yeah...that look of-wtf?
obviously you two are not cousins. if you are calling bs fine. we will have the car in two to three weeks and you can see some pics. $50k for some people is a drop in the bucket...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

well the paddle shifters are kind of a gimmick considering they are fixed on the steering column and don't move with the wheel. kinda turned me off.
That's funny. Clearly you've never done any auto x'ing or tight track driving. Unless you're driving a F1 car that pretty much only let's you turn the steering wheel 90 degrees in either direction, you'd want the paddles on the column.

at first the MR was her choice but then she said she always wanted to drive a stick so now she has the chance. it's her decision and if she wants the MR when making the final choice then so be it but for now she likes the GSR. now we can spend difference between the two models on some practice at the track.

we want it for all it has to offer, straight line speed, track handling, and awesome styling...it was either a 335i, 350z or Evo X and she chose the Evo.
Go test drive both back to back. That's the only way to make a decision. I have a feeling she'll end up with the MR after she gets to play with the TC-SST.

Good luck either way.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 02:49 PM

focus on the $7k for the car, nothing else. what a concept.

Here is what I would do, call HKS and tell them you have $7,000 to spend on a custom BOV that can add 50 WHP and have the loudest, highest pitched sound in the world!

No, in all seriousness if it is one thing I heave learned from this forum is that most people are on here to obtain knowledge, exchange information and build their own car. There are very intelligent folks on this forum who do post valuable information. Threads like “I have money to spend” or “what mods to get” get flamed because there are numerous threads where people have asked intelligent questions and exchanged information. These are great resources if you just do a little searching and reading. No one really wants to build someone else’s car.

Have fun modding your own car and don’t forget to use the search function, it is your friend.

~Ryan
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Spoolin11
Here is what I would do, call HKS and tell them you have $7,000 to spend on a custom BOV that can add 50 WHP and have the loudest, highest pitched sound in the world!

No, in all seriousness if it is one thing I heave learned from this forum is that most people are on here to obtain knowledge, exchange information and build their own car. There are very intelligent folks on this forum who do post valuable information. Threads like “I have money to spend” or “what mods to get” get flamed because there are numerous threads where people have asked intelligent questions and exchanged information. These are great resources if you just do a little searching and reading. No one really wants to build someone else’s car.

Have fun modding your own car and don’t forget to use the search function, it is your friend.

~Ryan
read my sign =P. I should tell SMG that their paddle shifters are nothing more then just gimmick, that sh*t dont work

Last edited by redteam22003; Jul 3, 2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

We've already had a thread on this topic, and most of agreed (or at least I agreed with myself ) that stationary paddles are much easier than moving paddles.

Have you actually tried both (probably not)? I have, and I'm pretty sure for most of us stationary paddles is the better choice.

You'll always know where the stationary paddles are, but you won't if they move. You'll have to take your eyes off the road for a second to find them.

Originally Posted by VincentX
It's only good that it turns with the wheel when you have the steering ratio of a F1 car, Gran Turismo, and arcade games. If not, shifting will be much more difficult because it will be hard to predict where the paddles are, especially during frantic autocross conditions.

Last edited by 628; Jul 3, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

chose an evo and will have some money left over for mods, she is 19, going to be a junior in college, and im 18 going to be a sophomore.
Now wait a second... You are 18 years old and a sophomore in college? and she is 19 and a junior in college? Right.... You both must have skipped 2 grades then... I just turned 20 and I'm a junior in college and I skipped a grade.

This thread is ridiculous... Go drive that FASSSTTT Scion hahaha..

Quick Reply: $7k extra what to do...