Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Well the day of the X test drive finally came.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RS-0
What this 'review' is lacking may be a caveat at the end stating..."all of these cars I test drove are excellent tuning bases. Stock cars exhibit characteristics that manufacturers build in for vast compromises. Based on one test drive, I can only go off of what car offers me in stock detuned form, but acknowledge that these cars have potential way beyond my capabilities as a driver."

Who cares what other people are saying on other forums? My .02
I bet you write real good essays!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

You betcha...

I do like the OP's short list. I would have had to throw a stripped 135 in there, though...or even an R32.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 04:54 PM

So, which one r you going to get?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I just read 11 pages of comments from insecure STI owners on those forums. Wow those guys need a life.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DVDee
I just read 11 pages of comments from insecure STI owners on those forums. Wow those guys need a life.
STFU NUB I BET U DUN HAVE A LIFE BECAUSE U R DRIVING AN EVOLOL

(Sorry, I've been on the STi forums for too long)
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Being in a GTO and really liking by the sound of it, you may want to look at the g8. Looks very affordable and looks like the next gen of GTO so to speak...

Prolly shouldnt judge the average subi owner by the people who took offense to your review. I am an ex-subi guy. So I know a few subi owners . They are very active in events and forums and subi sold a butt load of cars (without a background check )

"epic fail' is prolly a bitter pill for a subi enthusiast. Personally i think in 2006 any given day it would be evo or sti going head to head and winning by driver skill.

Personally buying an 08 STI station wagon or spending 35K for an X that was 'almost' as fast as IX wasnt working for me, there should never be doubt when spending this much cash. Although several times during my hunt for a IX I almost was dead solid sure I was going to get a X. So really they are both evo's.

The lack of a 6th gear sucks. It needs it, they all needed it, the MR had it but with the same final drive ratio (pretty sure about this if not tragically close).

The solstice/sky are great handlers as well but the lack of a rear seat and bad weather traction killed everything but the awd's.

Good luck in search but buy the EVO

LOL
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

post this vid on that website:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyDpoA2T6UI
Old Jul 5, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

ok i just posted the top gear video of the fq360 vs the sti on that website

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2008-sti...ml#post1934451
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but he was being an *** too. He got flammed in the end bc he started **** too.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

they're only retort to the overwhelming fact that their car is inferior to the x is the fact that the x is backed by a "failing company" with "no factory warranty." i couldnt not address such blatant ignorance. mitsubishi may not be all that great, but it's been out for ages with no real signs of insolvency and i dont see many posts of people complaining about denied warranty. based off personal experience, i've brought my car to the dealership for maintenance with full bolt-ons and have gotten no hassle or questions asked.

needless to say, i've seen more subaru owners convert over to mitsubishi and other car owners alike agree that the evo x is more appealing. maybe subaru will be having their own "failing" now with the inception of the 08 imprezas haha.. with the 04-07 sti, i could say that they were comparable and similar in par with evos, but now, 08 sti owners should just come to terms with the fact they bought a worse car. the only reason i could see someone buying a new sti over an evo is brand loyalty, am i missing anything else?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
Being in a GTO and really liking by the sound of it, you may want to look at the g8. Looks very affordable and looks like the next gen of GTO so to speak...

Prolly shouldnt judge the average subi owner by the people who took offense to your review. I am an ex-subi guy. So I know a few subi owners . They are very active in events and forums and subi sold a butt load of cars (without a background check )

"epic fail' is prolly a bitter pill for a subi enthusiast. Personally i think in 2006 any given day it would be evo or sti going head to head and winning by driver skill.

Personally buying an 08 STI station wagon or spending 35K for an X that was 'almost' as fast as IX wasnt working for me, there should never be doubt when spending this much cash. Although several times during my hunt for a IX I almost was dead solid sure I was going to get a X. So really they are both evo's.

The lack of a 6th gear sucks. It needs it, they all needed it, the MR had it but with the same final drive ratio (pretty sure about this if not tragically close).

The solstice/sky are great handlers as well but the lack of a rear seat and bad weather traction killed everything but the awd's.

Good luck in search but buy the EVO

LOL
I was in love with the G8 from the moment I first saw pics on the internet. I was closely following the car and the progress of it being released to the states. There wasn't a thing about the car I didn't love, except for the lack of a manual tranny but they said the manual would come in the next model year.

When the G8's arrived at my local dealership I had to drive one. They had a white one outside, and from the moment I drove up I knew I had to have this car. The exterior of this car looked amazing. I opened the door to the G8 and sat inside and my heart sank. I was expecting the fit and finish of the GTO and maybe some more refinement over the GTO, but what I found was extremely disappointing. I had set the bar to high and was immediately let down by the inside. After test driving the car I was still unimpressed. Maybe once the GXP version is released, if I am still in the market for a different car, I will give the G8 a second chance.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 09:45 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
So what's wrong with keeping the GTO? It looks nice, has an awesome moddable engine, and you admit that you really like it. It has to be better financially to keep it than to move to something else.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
So what's wrong with keeping the GTO? It looks nice, has an awesome moddable engine, and you admit that you really like it. It has to be better financially to keep it than to move to something else.

Nothing wrong with keeping it...just after 4 years is isn't as appealing to me as it used to be. Another idea I have had is trying to pick up a cheap used evo 8 or 9 RS.

I just want AWD, turbo, and awesome handling.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

The STi is so ugly that I didn't even bother test driving it at all. The X blew everything in it's price range away in terms of handling and potential for upgrades. I'm very happy I got mine and wouldn't consider anything else for $36000.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slammin86
I just want AWD, turbo, and awesome handling.
This is my response when people tell me to get the GTO, G8, or any other V8. Its comparing apples to oranges. It can be anoying if they dont get it.

Quick Reply: Well the day of the X test drive finally came.