Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Well the day of the X test drive finally came.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a boring read.. They love the STI we love the X.. etc..
Old Jul 7, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
That was a boring read.. They love the STI we love the X.. etc..
The only issue is that they love acar that all the magazines despise. It is supposed to be a performance car, but it drives like a turd. Every mag/ review says it understeers, wallows and feels slow. It may be faster in a straight line, but thats because the evo is so heavy and de tuned from the factory. The big difference is that the evo can actually make power quickly to over come its weight.

Id say stay with ur gto, unless you really want the x. but please get some type fo tune as it FEELS DIRT SLOW stock.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vishnu_Evo8
The only issue is that they love acar that all the magazines despise. It is supposed to be a performance car, but it drives like a turd. Every mag/ review says it understeers, wallows and feels slow. It may be faster in a straight line, but thats because the evo is so heavy and de tuned from the factory. The big difference is that the evo can actually make power quickly to over come its weight.

Id say stay with ur gto, unless you really want the x. but please get some type fo tune as it FEELS DIRT SLOW stock.

That entire statement is a contradiction. The Evo AND the STI are both detuned from the factory. Are you trying to say that only the STI is a "performance car" stock, and the Evo is not because "the evo is so heavy and detuned from the factory," and "it feels dirt slow stock?" I'm confused.

If magazines don't like how the STI understeers or accelerates, do you think there isn't a cure for that? I would have to say that the magazines are awfully ignorant if that were the case. I'm not trying to call you out, but the Evo and the STI, by your own admission, come, in most part, detuned from the factory.

They are both great platforms for driving fast. Let's keep it at that, or else this forum is reduced to the same level as 'the other guys.'....
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1

I've actually had terrible understeer with my Evo X at the track. It was not a cool feeling going 70 around a turn and you not turning where you want to go. I had to adjust the tire pressure quite a bit to get the car to finally rotate the back end better but still not to where I thought the X would be. Each car has their own performance pluses and minuses. The Evo is better and handling but still can be improved. The STi is better at straight line performance but that can be improved even more.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xbox4414
^ +1

I've actually had terrible understeer with my Evo X at the track. It was not a cool feeling going 70 around a turn and you not turning where you want to go.
I have never ever heard anyone say that before.... wow!!!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:53 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Me neither. Mine oversteers bigtime when I commit hot with the ASC grannies turned off.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

After reading that thread on the Subaru forum, I have to wonder if all Subarus come with a glaring inferiority complex or is it simply a requirement for joining their message board?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:56 AM

If you really wanted different results out of that post, you should've posted that in the 2008 STi specific forum on iwst.com.

but anyway, yes I'm an 08 STi owner, and yes i love my car.
The replies you saw on that forum was exactly what you were asking for. That's what you wanted, that's what you expected, and that's what you got. And honestly, some of the things you EVO dudes say about STi owners is the same exact thing we say about you all. This kind of crap goes back and forth between cars and their enthusiasts. I can easily talk about how you all gloat about your magazine victories etc. but honestly we do the same damn thing.

As far as im concerned, your view over here is that your car is superior and my wagon is a slow POS. That's fine that you believe that.

The fact is this, the EVO and STi are evenly matched.
Tests are close whoever the winner is. Most of the time, on timed lap tests the EVO wins because out of the factory Mitsubishi equipped the EVO with more aggressive than Subaru did with the STi. The STi out of the factory is, most of the time, faster than the EVO on a straight line because Subaru wanted the car that way for whatever reason.

The argument is, well, if the EVO engine was modded etc... it be faster than the STi...
I can come back and say well the STi can be faster around the track if the suspension was modded. . .

I had a WRX swapped GC8 (an older model 2 door Impreza) before I bought my STi. It was modded, had tein flex coilovers and all this crap. It was a harsh ride. I wanted a faster car that wasn't as rough with the utilities I wanted a more comfortable ride that was fast so I got the new STi. As far as the OP saying the car feels like it's N/A? i'd have to disagree for the obvious reasons. What i'm trying to say is people choose the car they want for whatever reason it is and they are proud of it. and when you post on the forum to initially hate on the car, you'll get the response you ask for. everyone has their own opinion.

If you ask me what car is better than the other I'd say it's the driver who decides that. The magazine can put this number on your car or my car, but at the end of the day it's the driver. (how many of you who track your car leaves your car stock?) but if you think your car is better than mine because of some magazine articles, that's fine. (the M3 is better than the GT-R too right?)

I like the EVO for what it is. I'd never buy on though for reasons I'll leave out of this discussion. Just remember is that as much as you hate the STi, you should love it, because it is the rivalry that made your car what it is today.

I'm definitely trolling as you all can see. Take it as you will.

I hope to see one of you on the road one day. so i can smoke your @$$

Last edited by DGMSTiWagon; Jul 8, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DGMSTiWagon
If you really wanted different results out of that post, you should've posted that in the 2008 STi specific forum on iwst.com.

The replies you saw on that forum was exactly what you were asking for. That's what you wanted, that's what you expected, and that's what you got. And honestly, some of the things you EVO dudes say about STi owners is the same exact thing we say about you all. This kind of crap goes back and forth between cars and their enthusiasts. I can easily talk about how you all gloat about your magazine victories etc. but honestly we do the same damn thing.

As far as im concerned, your view over here is that your car is superior and my wagon is a slow POS. That's fine that you believe that.

Tests are close whoever the winner is. Most of the time, on timed lap tests the EVO wins because out of the factory Mitsubishi equipped the EVO with more aggressive than Subaru did with the STi. The STi out of the factory is, most of the time, faster than the EVO on a straight line because Subaru wanted the car that way for whatever reason.

The argument is, well, if the EVO engine was modded etc... it be faster than the STi...
I can come back and say well the STi can be faster around the track if the suspension was modded. . .

I had a WRX swapped GC8 (an older model 2 door Impreza) before I bought my STi. It was modded, had tein flex coilovers and all this crap. It was a harsh ride. I wanted a faster car that wasn't as rough with the utilities I wanted a more comfortable ride that was fast so I got the new STi. As far as the OP saying the car feels like it's N/A? i'd have to disagree for the obvious reasons. What i'm trying to say is people choose the car they want for whatever reason it is and they are proud of it. and when you post on the forum to initially hate on the car, you'll get the response you ask for. everyone has their own opinion.

If you ask me what car is better than the other I'd say it's the driver who decides that. The magazine can put this number on your car or my car, but at the end of the day it's the driver. (how many of you who track your car leaves your car stock?) but if you think your car is better than mine because of some magazine articles, that's fine. (the M3 is better than the GT-R too right?)

I like the EVO for what it is. I'd never buy on though for reasons I'll leave out of this discussion. Just remember is that as much as you hate the STi, you should love it, because it is the rivalry that made your car what it is today.

Serious question: Do you prefer wings or a cardboard applicator?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:08 AM

the cardboard is a lot lighter.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
This is my response when people tell me to get the GTO, G8, or any other V8. Its comparing apples to oranges. It can be anoying if they dont get it.
Yep I get that sometimes around here (Detroit) or the argument why not buy American is common too. I usually answer with if the Americans made anything close to this, I just might but they don't have anything remotely like this so I had to buy Japanese. I tell them that the Germans make AWD turbo cars but are more expensive and not as reliable but sadly the Americans don't make even one. By the way, what about all those German Dodge's. Do you pester them as much as me? Just for reference I used to own a WRX and later an 04 STi and never even considered an 08 Sti for a variety of reasons but the top 3 reasons were 1. styling 2. handling 3. motor upgradabilty
As to the last one, yes the STi's can be fast but they always seem to cost more to make them so than the comparably fast EVO's which seem to be hitting 11's with stock turbo. I don't think any STi's are there yet with stock turbo. I could be wrong.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Guru
Yep I get that sometimes around here (Detroit) or the argument why not buy American is common too. I usually answer with if the Americans made anything close to this, I just might but they don't have anything remotely like this so I had to buy Japanese. I tell them that the Germans make AWD turbo cars but are more expensive and not as reliable but sadly the Americans don't make even one. By the way, what about all those German Dodge's. Do you pester them as much as me? Just for reference I used to own a WRX and later an 04 STi and never even considered an 08 Sti for a variety of reasons but the top 3 reasons were 1. styling 2. handling 3. motor upgradabilty
As to the last one, yes the STi's can be fast but they always seem to cost more to make them so than the comparably fast EVO's which seem to be hitting 11's with stock turbo. I don't think any STi's are there yet with stock turbo. I could be wrong.
1. styling = very subjective. i have not had one person approach me to tell me my STi was ugly. The only people who have said my car is ugly is people on forums. Other than that I've gotten countless thumbs up from the most random people. The only person outside of forums to have negative input on my car was this dude in a Chevy Colbolt SS driving by me while i waited at an intersection for my light to turn green and he gave me a thumbs down. I've actually had this dude go out of his way on the highway, roll his window down and yell at me to say "cool car!" with a thumbs up.

2. handling compared to what? a GTR. even if the STi loses to an EVO doesnt mean it has bad handling. There are no other cars in it's price range, other than the EVOX, that handles as well as it does. and honestly, are you going to keep your suspension stock? Biggest difference IMO between EVO and STi is tires. I'd take those Yokohama Advans over the STi crappy dunlops any day of the week. (although the Dunlops have better tire life.)

3. Motor Upgradability? compared to what? the 4G63? Other than that, the Ej25 is very upgradable. 290-300whp is easy on the EJ25. that is basically stage 2 on 91 octane. (protuned COBB Accessport w/ downpipe)

it takes on the higher end, $750 (front and rear sway bars, and sport springs), and a set of tires like the EVO Yoko Advans for the STi to do 1.2g on the skidpad.

also, believe it or not, there are a lot of dudes on iwsti who have test driven both the EVO X and STi and decided to go with the STi. to each his own.

man.. i really dont want to get into this kind of discussion.

Last edited by DGMSTiWagon; Jul 8, 2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Originally Posted by slammin86
Actually drove 4 cars today.
All of these cars were new 08 model year.

Saturn Sky Redline turbo 5 speed
EVO X
STI
Mazdaspeed 3

Evo X
OMG X is sweet. After some persistence and like the 5th visit to the local mitsu dealership I was able to get a test drive without any paperwork and without a credit check. Unfortunately it was a very short test drive.

First thing I immediately noticed was that you feel everything. The car feels like an extension of you and you feel every dip and bump...not a bad thing at all. Very connected to the road. Steering was very sharp and precise. Loved the seats and the position of the seats, as well as how natural the steering wheel felt in my hand. The seats and steering wheel are superb but the rest of the interior quality is meh.

Turbo spools quickly at 3000 and power comes on immediately. Unfortunately at about 5500 rpm it dies off. Once we got back to the dealership I was able to find out that the first flash had been done, but the second had not. From what I have read the second flash seems to resolve this issue. Every gear had this same issue.

The connection to the road and the steering response felt great.

Out on they highway the need for a 6th gear became very apparent. 75-80 mph was roughly 4000 rpm in 5th. Good for instant power...bad for sound.

OMG so connected to the road.

STI.
Had a great experience at this dealership. The guy who I was dealing with just sold his gto. He was a member of LS1gto.com and knew my car. Because of this I did not have any trouble driving a new STI.

He told me right away I would be disappointed with the car. He said that the ECU limits boost for about 300 miles and the car feels like a turd. More on this later.

The fit and finish on the interior was awesome. Everything felt put together nicely except for the center console/ armrest area. The steering wheel felt great. The only problem I had were the seats. WTF is this a sporty car or a cavalier...based on the seats there was no sign that this was a sporty car.

The radio sucked ***** too.

Onto the drive. I was able to get a decently long test drive on this one.
When I get on it I think...wtf...I thought this was turbo. There was no sign that there was actually a turbo on this car. Now I know it had a turbo...but the car felt N/A. To me this felt like a solid mid 14 sec car. Pretty weak. Did I mention no power what so ever. I am hoping he was right and the ecu changes the tune after 300 miles or so.

Handling seemed good. Seemed like there was a lot of usable interior space.

But based on what I experienced I am going to say EPIC FAIL.

Mazda speed 3

Drove this right after the STI. Interior is great. Stereo was great. Felt very solid and well built.

Car had great power down low but died off at 5500 or so. The thing felt really good when I shifted at 5500...don't know what the point of the extra 1000+ rpm is for???

Handling was decent. I would take this car over the STI any day of the week.

Saturn Sky turbo 5 speed.

Fit and finish seem great. No complaints with any of the interior except it is small. Huge blind spot with the top up, but great with the top down.

Had drove its N/A brother, and an auto turbo solstice in the past. I love the handling of this car. After driving the auto solstice turbo I had high hopes for the 5 speed counterpart. Unfortunatly I was very let down. I think I had just set the bar too high.

The digital boost gauge is pretty sweet. 18 PSI is pretty sweet.

0% for 72 months on this car make it a sweet deal.

Based on what I saw today the only car I would take over the GTO would be the X. Unfortunatly each time I drove a car today, I got back into the GTO and was still impressed by the quality and craftsmanship of the 4 year old interior. The straight line acceleration of the GTO wins also.

Got to hear the yellow 7.0 ltr Z06 idle and reved it up a few times. OMG SIK.

I still want the evo. People at mitsu are very difficult to work with and get answers from. They are supposed to be trying to locate a white one and call me letting me know. Still unsure why they cannot just order a white one. They want to do a dealer trade and charge me like 1300 to ship it here or some crap. Who the f**k knows.

The end.
Dude there's a White one here in Rapid City, South Dakota!!! Nobody here can afford it.....I'd buy it but I have a Blue one. I think the sticker price is 38,000 with the body kit, Navi, fast key and fosgate system. The dealership is gay though, but you wouldn't have to worry about that since the dealerships will be dueling with each other.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Ya me and my instructor were kinda baffled to what was going on. I told him the AYC should have prevented that but we think the tire pressure was just all wack. So we lowered the front a lot and maxed the back. Rotated the rear end a lot better. But I still think a rear sway would be a good addition.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DGMSTiWagon

That last part is not gonna happen.

I agree with some of what you said. I had a WRX wagon back in 02 and I liked it alright, but there are just too many things about it and the STI that make them too much of a compromise for a performance car. Thankfully, Subaru addressed the biggest offender in the 2007 model cars, by removing the tractor-like gearing the 2004-2006 STIs had.

The Evo X has a couple of really undesirable things too, but its a much better canvas for big power production IMO.

Quick Reply: Well the day of the X test drive finally came.