Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Well the day of the X test drive finally came.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that other thread on IWSTI was harsh, but Epic Fail is a bit strong. I wouldn't agree with the statement. Anyway, they really bashed the hell out of you for owning a GTO, your quarter mile times, etc. A couple years back IWSTI was not that bad (maybe my memory is wrong). They have become very defensive about the new GDs. Really; you can disagree with the poster, but why attack them personally? Its just an opinion.

DGMSTiWagon, I appreciate your posts in here to bring a different point of view.

My experience with the EJ257 on my 04 STI did not go well though I loved the car dearly. If only I could have a STI with a 4G63.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
Wow that other thread on IWSTI was harsh, but Epic Fail is a bit strong. I wouldn't agree with the statement. Anyway, they really bashed the hell out of you for owning a GTO, your quarter mile times, etc. A couple years back IWSTI was not that bad (maybe my memory is wrong). They have become very defensive about the new GDs. Really; you can disagree with the poster, but why attack them personally? Its just an opinion.

DGMSTiWagon, I appreciate your posts in here to bring a different point of view.

My experience with the EJ257 on my 04 STI did not go well though I loved the car dearly. If only I could have a STI with a 4G63.

Yes it was harsh. Based on my expectations for the car after driving the previous model years I think EPIC FAIL was well suited. I really like the outside of the car, but from the moment I got inside it till the moment I got out of it I was very let down. Maybe having drove the prior models and having seen the 36XXX dollar window sticker I had just set the bar too high.

GTO FTL apparantly.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
And you can't call no mag racing in one paragraph and then be a total mag racer in the second paragraph. It doesn't compute

just kiddin around about the .02 seconds thing dude.

but neway, i can feel that i've over stayed my welcome here. i'm gonna go back to where i belong. have fun with your cars!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:29 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DGMSTiWagon
just kiddin around about the .02 seconds thing dude.

but neway, i can feel that i've over stayed my welcome here. i'm gonna go back to where i belong. have fun with your cars!
Man, don't leave! We were just starting to get along! You're welcome to stay and get y0 post on.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

great debate guys i am learning alot...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:27 AM

im back

i just did a search on Nasioc. It appears stock 2.5usdm ej25 can handle about 400-450whp on stock internals. has it failed? yes. has it not failed for thousands of miles. yes? i guess it's how you drive and maintain it.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SlyEvo
i really liked the 04-05 stis in terms of looks. then they took a downward spiral to hell with the 06-07s and now the 08s =(

i just really hate hatchbacks... however subjective it may be.

it's hard to believe many people would buy the 08s. it's more expensive and even more to mod. power gain is nominal compared to the x for the amount spent on mods and everything else is mediocre to me. there's a reason most magazines choose the x over the sti; before it would be on par - evo for raw performance, sti for comfort. but now the x has refined both and the sti... lackluster?

i know you're entitled to your opinion, but lackluster? cmon now.

for 35k and you can load up the hatch with a bunch of shiz and go toe to toe with sports cars more expensive... far from lackluster.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:05 AM

just something if you haven't seen it.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...sti/index.html

not too bad right? i'd be satisfied with this.

also, the other night i was driving home, and i spot a WHITE EVO X from afar. I got excited because this is the second one i've seen. anyway, i speed up to, obviously, do a quick pull... and. it wasnt an EVOX. it was a regular lancer with a wing and everything. looked good, but i was disappointed. i've only seen 1 EVOX around MD. it was red. I've seen 4 08STi's. 3 grey ones and a black driving around. what's the deal?

Last edited by DGMSTiWagon; Jul 9, 2008 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:47 PM
JGC
Evolving Member

I'm happy to spell them out for you. Since the transmission ratios have been addressed, all the big problems have to do with the engine.

1) Stock turbo. Its tiny. I think my stock turbo is weaksauce, but its a titan compared to the STI turbo.
Agree what a ****ty stock turbo Yet a lot of people forget about it and compare how their evos with their 41-42 lb min turbos put down better numbers on bolt-ons than sti's with their 35 lb/min turbos... lol You to do it at the end of this post. (how you haven't seen 08 STi get close to the X power )

2) RPM. The EJ257 does not rev well. To make big power in a four cylinder, rev potential is an important thing. The engine is big and torquey, but with a large aftermarket turbo, they have really narrow powerbands compared to Evos. The Japanese market EJ207 is a much better engine in this regard. Its stronger and it can handle 8500rpm on stock internals without drama. A stock displacement EJ257 at 8000rpm has piston speeds that would make Kimi Räikkönen nervous. A 4B11 can handle 1500rpm more than an EJ257 without breaking a sweat.
Oh really? a 79mm crank will have a higher piston speed than a 86mm crank The EJ257 do not rev that well because of many factors... oiling issues at high speed, piston weights (large bores)... Also our heads are not the greatest... So if we don't make power at 9,000 rpm then why take it there. But we in PR (I'm from there) have made great progress with this engine, enough to be competitive with anything else. 800+ WHP all boost and running low 9's like most streetable evos on 42R. Even streetable 40R subies in the mid 9's all boost.

3) Boxer engine. In a Porsche with two turbos, this is a great idea. In a front engined single turbo car, its the epitome of compromise. The exhaust has to travel through tons and tons of pipe before getting to the turbocharger. Efficiency is wasted and lag is increased. In an inline Evo, the manifold is extremely short, so the turbo is placed much closer to the engine. Lag is not an issue like a boxer engine.
This I don't agree with this to a certain extend... You see we have mounted turbos in front of the engine and the benefits were minimal. Maybe when you have small turbos < 50 lb/min you might see some benefits... Other than that just look at the drag cars from AMS, Buschur and so on... Why they have those long manifolds Optimal turbo manifolds could be somewhere between 2-3 ft in lenghts, ours are just a little longer (by default). Anyway I could spool a 55 lb/min turbo (to 22 psi) by 3,500 rpm once I took the crappy unequal length manifold out of the picture. Oh and with that went the overrated boxer rumble.

4) Top mounted intercooler. These heat soak very quickly. If you go to a front mount in a Subaru, you compound the problem of lag, because due to the engine design and orientation, you have to use two super long charge pipes instead of one long pipe that you'll see in an Evo. Plus, the Evo comes with a FMIC from the factory.
Again the difference in lag between a FMIC and shorter pipes is minimal, especially with bigger turbos. Seen it many times in my own car (I have a big FMIC). Cams have more impact on boost threadhold than pipes that are 2 to 3 feet longer. Is like those rear turbo F bodies and OP car those suffer from so much lag (you can't get much further away than that!)

5) Fragile engines. EJ257s have issues making big power. 380whp on a Dynojet seems to be the bubble where some people start having real problems. EJs are highly prone to spinning rod bearings. Don't get me started on WRX EJ205s, those were even worse. As far as I know in 7+ months of 4B11 being modified around the world, we haven't seen a documented 4B11 loss on here yet. That's epic to me. I keep expecting it, there is a 35R car and another car over 500whp, but no bad news yet.
All in the tune man...

<--- 507WHP (dynojet) 457 WHP (low reading MD dyno) stock block... high 10's at upper 120's.

Hypereutectic pistons got to love 'em. Brittle as hell yet strong as long as you don't get any detonation. We manage 634WHP and low 10's on the stock block (stock long block record, stock cams ECT...)

The rod bearing failures comes with detonation... Subaru engine have very small tolerances... you get some know and your bearings will suffer.

As far as the 4B11 trust me... eventually you will see 700WHP on the stock block in extreme applications. Definitely it will beat the stock 4G63 block record (The 4B11 is just a very stout engine). You guys might laugh (4G63 fans) or fanboy's might cheer... but in time you will see. Now of course a built 4G63 is tougher due to the block, but the 4B11T is truly a marvelous aluminum turbo engine.

6) Access. Changing plugs is more challenging than on an inline four. Changing injectors is lots more challenging than on an inline four. Changing cams is asinine in a Subaru.
Agree

Anyway I just wanted to clear some points.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by JGC

Oh really? a 79mm crank will have a higher piston speed than a 86mm crank The EJ257 do not rev that well because of many factors... oiling issues at high speed, piston weights (large bores)... Also our heads are not the greatest... So if we don't make power at 9,000 rpm then why take it there.

You totally got me here. I had my 99.5 x 79.0 flipped in my AWD Excel data file as 79 x 99. These things have coffee can sized pistons, wow!

Originally Posted by JGC
Other than that just look at the drag cars from AMS, Buschur and so on... Why they have those long manifolds Optimal turbo manifolds could be somewhere between 2-3 ft in lenghts, ours are just a little longer (by default).
I do think the main contributor to lag is the pre-turbo piping. but the unequal length on the Subie from the driver's side makes an abnormally long crossover pipe and hurts spool.

We mapped an 05 STi on a green with an uprated TMIC, switched to an APS FMIC and made 25whp immediately post remap, but lost almost 500rpm of spool trying to charge that big core. Even with the power gain, the car slowed in the quarter mile due to less area under the curve. I think a smaller FMIC might have been the ticket.

All in the tune man...

<--- 507WHP (dynojet) 457 WHP (low reading MD dyno) stock block... high 10's at upper 120's.

Hypereutectic pistons got to love 'em. Brittle as hell yet strong as long as you don't get any detonation. We manage 634WHP and low 10's on the stock block (stock long block record, stock cams ECT...)
I'm not trying to play down your accomplishments. They are very good. My point is was that mid ten second and faster Subarus are an exception rather than a rule. There are just a lot more fast Evos (CT9A 4G63s).

Great post and flawless victory on my piston speed goof.

Last edited by Noize; Jul 9, 2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 02:51 PM

i wish more people on forums are like this. it's good to see EVO and STi guys talk about serious car shiz without it becoming a bash fest. I'm actually learning more just by reading.

i dont know much about cars, the most i've ever done myself was swapping an EJ205 from an 03 WRX into my 2000 Impreza 2.5rs coupe. took a good 2 months and the wiring was a big headache, but hey, the car was a beast IMO for what it was. aside from that, all this stuff about internals, i dont know jack.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JGC
Agree what a ****ty stock turbo Yet a lot of people forget about it and compare how their evos with their 41-42 lb min turbos put down better numbers on bolt-ons than sti's with their 35 lb/min turbos... lol You to do it at the end of this post. (how you haven't seen 08 STi get close to the X power )
We may forget about the smaller turbo's in STI's... But we do not forget about the 2.5 liters vs our 2.0.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Personally speaking though, I love Subaru's. Like almost everyone else, I looked into the 2005 STI when I was shopping for my VIII. I really like the company in general and my local dealer. My decision was mostly financial at that time. I ended up getting an 04 evo in early 05 for around $1,500 under invoice. I traded my VIII for a X for problems related to crappy installs and a horrible tranny build, that's another story. I didn't really like the direction Subaru went with on the 08 STI, but I still respect it for what it is.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:36 PM
JGC
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

We mapped an 05 STi on a green with an uprated TMIC, switched to an APS FMIC and made 25whp immediately post remap, but lost almost 500rpm of spool trying to charge that big core. Even with the power gain, the car slowed in the quarter mile due to less area under the curve. I think a smaller FMIC might have been the ticket.
Yeah that's the APS FMIC, the core itself it's good... but everything else is like most APS products (Headers that crack, turbos that don't perform and Intercooler piping that completly sucks )

I lost about 100-200 RPM of spool from a spearco TMIC to my FMIC.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think its tuning, its the rod bearing design. Its not unilateral, but there are enough failed examples to be convincing.
...I'm disputing the strength and modability of the EJ2xx engines. And lose the 20 year old thing, because I promise you don't want to get me started on the EJ205. I'm so glad its out of service, may it rest in pieces.

Hello upgrade!

ACTUALLY, to be technical, all of those failed examples were brought to you by failed EBC trigger fingers + knock + a sprinkle of weaksauce.

The EJ205 is not that old, btw. The EJ20G is...

I love my turbo Forester, and so does my wife, but that XMR is chomping at the bit...bad.

Quick Reply: Well the day of the X test drive finally came.