Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X vs Caliber SRT4

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THE JAVI
what??? srt doesn't come s-awd,acitve center diff,active yaw control,more power,dual clutch trans,high quality recaro seats, HIDs,better performance in every way??? i didnt know.

srt-4 is a good bang for your buck car ill give u that ...but in the golf gti, hona civic si range thats what i consider the "i cant afford any better... class"..why else would anybody pay to have a car that looks like a pre-pubesant mini-van?? evo is yet another bang for your buck car but in a higher class then that of the srt...you can dance around cars triple the price.. but the bottom line modded or not the evox will awd-drift circles around the srt. EVO X SRT-4
reading pwns you. None of those things you listed has anything to do with the engine.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

^^^ROFL, best post ever!!!, lol
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, my dad is pretty tough. But seriously man, I'm not trying to be a jerk but I am just pointing out that the differences go a bit deeper than just pistons. If all that is similar is the outer casting of the block and everything else is different then yes, it's a completely different engine. The caliber is a decent car but you'd have to expect that the engine isn't as good as the X's when the car cost 10k less. Don't get butt hurt over it. Besides, you drive a X, you should be glad that all the differences I pointed out are significant and play in your favor.
agree...I hate the SRT4...its been sitting here for over 2 months and the only people that want to "try" and buy it are 18 y/o with a hard on.
there's a reason I'm in an X and not a Chrysler....all for the investment...not sold on everything looking like a minivan (yet).
Getrag=
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, the good news for the SRT4 guys is they can get a replacement evo parts for their blocks right? Forged components, cranks, destroke their engines to 2.0, etc. I know the hyundai engine is staying 2.0, I would bet there will be more similarities between the hyundai/mitsu then the dodge/mitsu versions. The previous beta motors in the hyundais were pretty close to an N/A version of the 4g63. Hyundai seems to bank on the "Why mess with something that works" philosophy, like their sonata's styling, is it an accord? altima? maybe a camry?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Ok, "buddy," let me help to break this down for you. Here is an article citing info from Pete Gladysz, Senior Manager – Powertrain, SRT. Let the education lesson begin. I will highlight all areas of key importance in bold.

The five-door hot-hatch Dodge Caliber SRT4 is capable of a 0-100 km/h time in the low 6-second range. How is that possible?

The latest SRT model gets its motivation from an all-new World Engine produced at the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance (GEMA) facility in Dundee, Mich. The World Engine is a family of fuel- and emissions-efficient aluminium four-cylinder petrol engines co-developed by DaimlerChrysler’s Chrysler Group, Hyundai Motor Company and Mitsubishi Motors Corporation.

“The all-new 2.4-litre turbocharged World Engine delivers a level of power you’d expect from a V-8,” said Pete Gladysz, Senior Manager – Powertrain, SRT. “With the engine in the all-new Dodge Caliber SRT4, we were able to take advantage of tried-and-true performance improvements, such as increased cylinder-head flow and higher compression ratio, as well as newer technologies such as Variable Valve Timing (VVT).”

To achieve its high-performance Dodge Caliber SRT4 configuration, the aluminium 2.4-litre World Engine block is specially machined for increased water and oil flow. Unique cast pistons travel within iron cylinder liners, and are cooled by oil squirters and affixed to forged connecting rods for high-revving reliability.

Tri-metal bearings are used for the connecting rods and crankshaft for high-performance durability. A unique oil pump/balance shaft module keeps the reciprocating assembly well-lubricated and running smoothly. An external cooler keeps oil temperatures within a safe range.

The aluminium cylinder heads are also a World Engine casting equipped with unique high-temperature exhaust valves. VVT uses computer mapping to open and close intake and exhaust valves at optimal points for efficient combustion and flow. The camshaft and micro-alloy steel crankshaft, shared with the non-turbocharged 2.4-litre World Engine, are fully capable of handling these high-horsepower loads.

Free-flow induction begins with an all-new air cleaner assembly that draws through an opening in a front chassis cross member for proximity to cool air. The air is then compressed in a TD04 turbocharger specially configured for the engine’s inlet and outlet packaging requirements, and sent through an intercooler to a 57mm throttle body.

Fuel is provided by a high-flow pump feeding injectors developed specifically for the Dodge Caliber SRT4. An all-new engine management system designed by Siemens – the Global Powertrain Engine Controller – keeps the powerplant running at maximum efficiency and power.

On the exhaust side, spent gases exit through a free-flow system that features two catalytic converters – one immediately downstream from the turbo, and another further along the 7.5cm (3 in.) single-pipe exhaust system. Using two catalytic converters in this way provides significantly better “light-off” for decreased emissions. As with the previous-generation Dodge SRT4, the exhaust is tuned for maximum performance while meeting U.S. federal, international and European noise regulations.

Power is transferred through a dual-mass flywheel to the six-speed manual transaxle. The dual-mass flywheel consists of two flywheels sandwiching internal springs that are specially tuned to reduce noise and vibration. The Getrag DMT-6 six-speed transaxle, equipped with a limited-slip differential for uniform side-to-side power transfer, is capable of handling up to 407 Nm (300 lb.-ft.) of torque.

Torque is sent to the Dodge Caliber SRT4’s front wheels through equal-length halfshafts sourced from Chrysler Group mid-size cars for their larger size and power-handling capability.

Ok, let's start with, Oh...what's that?... NOT FORGED MAHLE PISTONS LIKE THE 4B11 IN THE X!? Oh no... they're cast. Second, the SRT4 uses a balance shaft, something that the 4B11 doesn't need because of it's DIFFERENT, LESS VIBRATION PRONE, AND MORE REV FRIENDLY SQUARE BORE AND STROKE DESIGN. Third, the exhaust valves are different, as is the entire cylinder head design. It shares it's basic layout but that's it. Different valve design, different port design, etc.

Fourth, the crank is obviously different because the stroke is different, but the important thing worth mentioning is that the crank is shared with the N/A caliber version as well. Although still forged, it is not a crossdrilled and FULLY COUNTERWEIGHTED unit like the one in the 4B11. Fifth, as I mentioned earlier in a different post, the sleeve and water jacket design are different. The variable cam timing system are totally different as well. Anyone who knows anything about engine design would agree that the differences in these two motors are night and day.

Aside from the basic structure of the block on the outside, they are worlds apart. Oh, and don't ever assume that because you work at a dealership that you know more than someone who doens't. Every salesman or manager that I've ever talked to at any dealership knows about as much technical details on the cars that they sell as I know about nuclear physics. Who's talking out of their a** now? Have a nice day.
lol WHAT a superiority complex. The thread is just a comparison of the two engines. All I see from this thread is X is better better better, same as all your other posts. Relax. Two engines being based on the same block means nearly nothing. The fact that it was used in the Caliber SRT-4 doesn't bring it down any, and you don't have to defend it's honor, really. It's just a comparison. Good information provided though. The extent to which engineers modified the engine in the Evo X make it a completely different animal than in the SRT-4
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Fwd<awd
Enough said. Haha
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeeperjunior
Enough said. Haha
But the comparison is between the engines...
Either way I'm sure the Evo X's engine was developed much more thoroughly and will be a stronger engine for modifications. Look at the power it's been producing with basic upgrades and ECU tuning.. I doubt the SRT-4's engine will be able to do the same
Old Jul 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

It seems like alot of people are talking about the world engine as if it is an engine that uses the same design for each engine. From my understanding of the world engine, that's not what it means. The world engine series is a family of products that can all be built in a "world" manufacturing facility on the tooling in those facilities. Basically, any "world" manufacturing plant can build any "world" engine on tooling that's identical to what would be found in all the other "world" manufacturing facilities.

For example, this is pretty common now days and is EXACTLY what Ford did with the mod motor in the early 1990's. Almost none of the mod motors found in different vehicles in different years used 100% interchangeable parts, and some engines had vastly different designs (example, truck 4.6 SOHC vs Mustang 4.6 SOHC, and Lincoln NA 4.6 DOHC vs Mustang NA 4.6 DOHC). They did however, use tooling in the manufacturing process which was interchangable from engine design to engine design.

Also, it seems like alot of people think that Chrysler can't build and engine that makes alot of power. Don't fool yourself into thinking that. If there's one thing that Chrysler engineering has historically been REALLY good at, it's designing an engine that puts out alot of power and takes a beating. They have been sucessful at these kinds of niche projects for more than 50 years. I seriously doubt they no longer have the capability in thier niche / high end engineering groups.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

lol

I own one. And it's str8. It is fast. Not on the launch but on the roll, it picks up quick. It has .87g for the track. Decent, but not the best. 0-60 in about 6. Perfect for the drag strip, chassis is very strong, no doubt on that but overall weight plays against it when it hits the track.
Overall the engine is an amazing powerplant.

Car looks better in person.
More comfortable then the Nsrt4.
Mods: they got guys on the SRT4 forums that are hitting well over 330-417hp on the CSRT4. The CSRT4's engine adapted to mods quickly.
But it's a Dodge.
Has nothing to with the Evo, or any of it's affiliates.

And I own a an 08 GTS.
how about that, huh?
lol
Old Jul 11, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody said that the motor wouldn't still make decent power because it is still a good motor design. I guarantee that it won't make the same power mod for mod or be able to hold as much as the 4b11 in the X, but it's still a good engine. Stang's right, chrysler does make a good engine in the srt series and they can handle good power. Just don't forget that FWD=WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. No offense but it's true. As soon as the power level increases that thing is going to torque steer like a bish.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Nobody said that the motor wouldn't still make decent power because it is still a good motor design. I guarantee that it won't make the same power mod for mod or be able to hold as much as the 4b11 in the X, but it's still a good engine. Stang's right, chrysler does make a good engine in the srt series and they can handle good power. Just don't forget that FWD=WRONG WHEEL DRIVE. No offense but it's true. As soon as the power level increases that thing is going to torque steer like a bish.
I agree with you entirely. However I had a 91 gst at one point was making over 500 whp. While it spun the tires like crazy, and it did torque steer, it wasnt anythign that bad once it got traction. I used to romp on the awd cars from a roll.....but yea fwd does suck though.

Ohh and the two motors are similar, yet very very different.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Actually torque steer is not as bad as one would think. Only for the person who is not used to driving one on the first run.
After one week, it's predictable then becomes non-existent.

Launches are tricky because of the Getrag transmission. You have to feed it before you release that clutch.
And it can hold quite an amount of power. They hp numbers I am seeing is still climbing. And that is at 330 hp on stage 1 kits. Stage 2 is in the 400shp.
With some traction bars, torque steer comes down to a minimum.
Not bad for a 25k car.

And no offense taken on my end. I agree that is has too much power for a FWD system. I am not going to mod this car much. There are a few disappointments but there were alot more pluses for the car then minuses.

The car is an accuired taste, and it does 21/30 mpg on 94 octane. With a Mitsubishi turbo TD04 i believe.
Spikes up to 15-18 psi on 4th-6th gear. Pending on one's elevation.

We already have quite a few mods that the EVOs use.
e.g. BC Coilovers, HKS, Magnaflow, Borla exhausts, many brands of intakes, FMICs, downpipes, muffler deletes etc. (you get the idea)

And they got guys already beating Evo Xs on the roll.
No offence on an Evo site which i am proud to be a member of, but they have beaten them.
Believe it or not.

Evos win from a stop.
But has trouble when on a roll, say 40mph. That is where the CSRT4 shines.

The magazine's were doing a first impression review. Some cars need time to be in, in order for you to feel what they are really capable of.

And I will say, you have to exp it to really comment on this car.

But all in all.
It's just a car/hatchback/SUV. lol

I am just here to participate and get info on the Mitsubishi side of cars. I own a GTS ( which i copped first before the CSRT4) and am thinking for the GSR or the R/A.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

How dose the Chevy cobalt ss supercharged compare to the X..???

Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

^ whaaaa?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
How dose the Chevy cobalt ss supercharged compare to the X..???

Booooooooo!! Haha!!

Quick Reply: Evo X vs Caliber SRT4