Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

i dont understand dealerships...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they gave out test drives, every 16 year old kid would be lined up. Rules are rules. If someone wants a evo, 9 out 10 times they already know what the car is and what it can do.

Examples;
If they do paperwork, then let you drive the car, you wreck, well then its yours.
If they do paperwork, you test drive it, and dont like it, your not liable to buy it.

They are in the right.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
oh i forgot...
the test drive is when you buy those special cars, for me like this:

Sure i want this ?

these cars are not minivans or SUV where is unlimited choices or possibilities for a almost same price.
You want one or not.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
If they gave out test drives, every 16 year old kid would be lined up. Rules are rules. If someone wants a evo, 9 out 10 times they already know what the car is and what it can do.

Examples;
If they do paperwork, then let you drive the car, you wreck, well then its yours.
If they do paperwork, you test drive it, and dont like it, your not liable to buy it.

They are in the right.

i hear you on what your saying...but i guess im that 1 out of 10 cus i never had or drove a turbo'd car nor have i driven an awd exet for our truck...but i guess i can test drive that LANCER and see what i feel...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:36 AM
Former Vendor

Test drive that car, I have been working on a customers 09 gts, I greatly enjoy its driving manners. To really see what the X is made of, no dealer will let you push it to make your mind up.

If you like a gts, youll love the X. Well aside from the price. Btw call south coast mitsu. Youll pay a ton less than what your local stealership prob wants.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mode3
WAIT WAIT no you cant cus when you ask the salesman for a test drive he asks you umm when would you like to buy the car??? ....

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

so we put the baby back in his car seat and drove away...
Thats how it was in my area when I first purchased my VIII, no drive till you sign. But at the same time, the sales guys were all telling me about racing mustangs when they take them out......

Things have changed now though, when I purchased my X GSR the sales guy offered me a test drive. I did pull up in my wel maintained VIII though so maybee that had something to do with it.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure how I feel about them letting people testdrive the car I plan to purchase. If I had my way, I would have gotten it straight off the boat from japan so I could make 100% sure it was broken in properly for the all critical first 15 miles.

I agree with what others have said, they need a demo car that people can drive. I feel though that they should at least check your credit and ensure you can afford the car before they take you on a supervised test drive.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:38 AM

thanks definitely going to do some more research before i just go to any "stealership"
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
. To really see what the X is made of, no dealer will let you push it to make your mind up.
Come down to Don Herring He took his demo out to a track day and there's some pictures of it with 5 people in it (in helmets!) going around the track!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:41 AM

yeah i hear you on that cus i would test drive the RR they had in the office and buy the WW...damn she was gorgeous...i was so hyped to go i even ran my own credit before i got there...definitely good enough
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:53 AM

so after posting this i go and read the review of the mr...he reviewed a test drive.. a test drive...lol
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:55 AM
Former Vendor

Let me rephase, no small dealers will do it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I had to go to 4 dealers to get a test drive before I got my IX. I actually was not planning on buying one, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I initially went to a Subaru dealer, but when I told the salesman that I I would not be buying a car for at least a month (job related) he told me that I was wasting his time because in a month he could be dead. WTF! So I left, an never even looked at one again. Then I went to check out the Evo IX.

1st one said no way.

2nd one said no, but I looked and all the ones on the lot had at least 50 miles on them...

3rd tried to sell me a used VIII with some questionable mods, but would not let me test drive it either.

4th said sure. I test drove it and fell in love. I even went and grabbed my brother and had him test drive it, to make sure I was not imagining how great it drove. I wanted white, so they said they would knock $200 off MSRP for the one I tested. It had like 500 miles on it and it was the only white one they had. And they were hard miles, based on how they let me drive it. I said no, I want a fresh one. I said I would put money down if they would order me a fresh white one. They said no, it was the one on the lot or nothing.

So I went back to the first dealer. I saw them unloading a white MR off the truck, still wearing all the paper. I said I want that one.

Not sure this helps or is even on topic, but basically just find a dealer willing to let you test one. There has to be one somewhere. No other way to know for sure if you will like it.

Oh and, remember to haggle. I got mine below invoice, I am sure you can get a good deal on the X as well since there are so many sitting on the lots.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaliMR
I had to go to 4 dealers to get a test drive before I got my IX. I actually was not planning on buying one, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about. I initially went to a Subaru dealer, but when I told the salesman that I I would not be buying a car for at least a month (job related) he told me that I was wasting his time because in a month he could be dead. WTF! So I left, an never even looked at one again. Then I went to check out the Evo IX.

1st one said no way.

2nd one said no, but I looked and all the ones on the lot had at least 50 miles on them...

3rd tried to sell me a used VIII with some questionable mods, but would not let me test drive it either.

4th said sure. I test drove it and fell in love. I even went and grabbed my brother and had him test drive it, to make sure I was not imagining how great it drove. I wanted white, so they said they would knock $200 off MSRP for the one I tested. It had like 500 miles on it and it was the only white one they had. And they were hard miles, based on how they let me drive it. I said no, I want a fresh one. I said I would put money down if they would order me a fresh white one. They said no, it was the one on the lot or nothing.

So I went back to the first dealer. I saw them unloading a white MR off the truck, still wearing all the paper. I said I want that one.

Not sure this helps or is even on topic, but basically just find a dealer willing to let you test one. There has to be one somewhere. No other way to know for sure if you will like it.

Oh and, remember to haggle. I got mine below invoice, I am sure you can get a good deal on the X as well since there are so many sitting on the lots.
so you ended up buying a car from the dealership that wouldn't let you drive one, and screwed over the dealership that let you drive one?

way to encourage this practice...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

so you ended up buying a car from the dealership that wouldn't let you drive one, and screwed over the dealership that let you drive one?

way to encourage this practice...
wow. what a dbag thing to do. :/
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:46 AM

So He Should Have Bought From The Dealer Who Would Not Order Him A New X???
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think i bought the one that was tester (at least once) it had 13 miles on it and 6 were the predelivery inspection. all the others on the lot looked pretty fresh. it was the only ww on the lot and glad i got that color.

when i went back about a month later i looked at the line up and the had another one that clearly looked more driven. (e.g, tire wear and brake dust)

Quick Reply: i dont understand dealerships...