Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi as a brand

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lancers and Lancer Evolutions are produced in the same facility.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:32 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
They need to use that fact in their marketing ads so they can attract more attention and sell more cars...
no! actually they scrapped doing the zero fighter edition of the evo 6 because of connotation of the zero fighters of WWII. so, that is bad publicity.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
Lancers and Lancer Evolutions are produced in the same facility.
they are not. as far as i know.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
they are not. as far as i know.
Yes, they are. All of the Lancer models including Lancer, Lancer Wagon, and Lancer Evoution, all roll down the same assembly line. The Evo isn't that special enough to have it's own plant, it's still just an econobox with a souped up engine.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:06 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only beef with dealers is that they don`t respect potential customers When ever i want to see if i can get a evo they look at me and just glance the other way may be they think i`m young or what ever but thats just stupid.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63
Yes, they are. All of the Lancer models including Lancer, Lancer Wagon, and Lancer Evoution, all roll down the same assembly line. The Evo isn't that special enough to have it's own plant, it's still just an econobox with a souped up engine.
it is a hughe difference between welding, and parts between lancer es vs evolution.
i have to look it up ,b ut im almost 100% sure you are wrong on this.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I love the mitsubishi brand of products, but I hate the dealerships. If I had to guess, I would assume the company's image and customer-relations are perceived in a much more different light in other countries. In this country the dealers are manipulative and the service departments (with the exception of an excellent one in Madison wi) are at the least dishonest. I really would like to know why this is the case. Do the US dealerships have to push things harder because Mitsu lacks the desire to market heavily here? Are they simply cutting corners in the hiring process?

As far as the products, all of my experience has been positive. Yes, manual hvac knobs are annoying, and my 120 hp sohc 4g94 really gives me that feeling of exhilaration on every on ramp, but my car feels great to drive. Seat position is perfect, handling is above average for the class, I get 43mpg on the highway with light mods and cruise, and the car is insanely easy to maintenance myself and modify. And most of all.... I got it way way cheaper than a similar civic or corolla.

I feel really bad for any evo owner who has had unjustified damage done to their car due to poor design or build. In my opinion though, most cases of evo maintenance issues arise from the car's operator and not the car itself. I've talked extensively with a few service managers (who, as rare as it may be, were reasonable people) who can bring up case after case of cooked clutches at 1,000 miles and other tranny issues due to stoplight launches. They see a ton of cars coming in which were obviously heavily or incorrectly modified and shoddily brought back to stock to try to escape loosing the warranty. It is exceedingly rare for them to see an unexplained tranny failure, a blown engine, prematurely worn engine mounts, etc etc without there being any reason other than the design of the car.

Perhaps this will make you feel better: we also have a civic hybrid and an 07 530i in the family. The civic has had more recalls and service issues (not related to the hybrid aspect of the vehicle) than my lancer. Our honda before the civic, an odyssey, gave us consistent trouble every year or so. The bmw is always back in the shop having one of its 1,000,000 or so sensors replaced. As if the idrive was not bad enough, you can never use it due to the car's tire pressure sensor failing or the car thinking that somehow it is overheating right when you turn it on when it's cold out! These cars are never abused, never put through their paces. So before you single out Mitsu, remember every manufacturer sells the cheapest product they can for the most money.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mtags24
I love the mitsubishi brand of products, but I hate the dealerships. If I had to guess, I would assume the company's image and customer-relations are perceived in a much more different light in other countries. In this country the dealers are manipulative and the service departments (with the exception of an excellent one in Madison wi) are at the least dishonest. I really would like to know why this is the case. Do the US dealerships have to push things harder because Mitsu lacks the desire to market heavily here? Are they simply cutting corners in the hiring process?

As far as the products, all of my experience has been positive. Yes, manual hvac knobs are annoying, and my 120 hp sohc 4g94 really gives me that feeling of exhilaration on every on ramp, but my car feels great to drive. Seat position is perfect, handling is above average for the class, I get 43mpg on the highway with light mods and cruise, and the car is insanely easy to maintenance myself and modify. And most of all.... I got it way way cheaper than a similar civic or corolla.

I feel really bad for any evo owner who has had unjustified damage done to their car due to poor design or build. In my opinion though, most cases of evo maintenance issues arise from the car's operator and not the car itself. I've talked extensively with a few service managers (who, as rare as it may be, were reasonable people) who can bring up case after case of cooked clutches at 1,000 miles and other tranny issues due to stoplight launches. They see a ton of cars coming in which were obviously heavily or incorrectly modified and shoddily brought back to stock to try to escape loosing the warranty. It is exceedingly rare for them to see an unexplained tranny failure, a blown engine, prematurely worn engine mounts, etc etc without there being any reason other than the design of the car.

Perhaps this will make you feel better: we also have a civic hybrid and an 07 530i in the family. The civic has had more recalls and service issues (not related to the hybrid aspect of the vehicle) than my lancer. Our honda before the civic, an odyssey, gave us consistent trouble every year or so. The bmw is always back in the shop having one of its 1,000,000 or so sensors replaced. As if the idrive was not bad enough, you can never use it due to the car's tire pressure sensor failing or the car thinking that somehow it is overheating right when you turn it on when it's cold out! These cars are never abused, never put through their paces. So before you single out Mitsu, remember every manufacturer sells the cheapest product they can for the most money.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:22 AM
GNR
Evolving Member

I know!!! I drive mitsus too!! Ask any bmw owner, how many times do they go back to dealerships, and try to keep the car around 8 years...how much does bmw cost in maintenance.. I keep my mitsu for 8-10 year... very low maintainance..

I have an 2004 lancer ralliart... Been back to dealership once each year... noo problems.. purchased extended warranty, have to used it... The platinum one!!! Tell em to fix the rear suspension bushings!!!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

i would never ever own a bmw again
i had my evo for 2 1/2 years 24,000 abusive miles and its still was in a perfect state not had 1 single problem with it
Old Aug 2, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
The other big thing people get all butthurt about is the clutch. These are not going to hold up to a dump in an AWD car. Mitsubishi did make adjusments in the form of a stationary rev limiter, but many people flash those out immediately.

All three of my Evos have been pretty darned robust. The only issues I had were with the VIII, and they were self-inflicted.
The issue with this statement is that Mitsu markets the Evo based on it's performance. In the ads for the new Lancer, they show an older Evo all rally raced out hauling azz. Do they expect us not to do it? Why buy a car that THEY say does 0-60 in the 4 second range if they don't expect us to do it? All the Evo documentation stresses on performance, so why is it unreasonable to expect a better clutch? You say that they will not hold up to a dump in an AWD car, so why did they put it in an AWD car? And the rev limiter? 5k RPMs? If you think the stock clutch can hold up to a 2 step drop off that limiter for long, then that's a difference of opinion.

As for brand loyalty, my dealership has been great to me so far. I took my Evo in for a service and they changed all the fluids and filters for free under the 2005 free service rules. Then they called me back and told me that when they invoiced the parts to Mitsu, that Mitsu wanted additional stuff repaired that wasn't even on my initial contract. So they called me back and changed my belt and some other stuff for free. They treat me so well, that when I was looking for an SUV I ended up with an Outlander XLS from them (GG like the Evo of course). So, brand loyalty? Maybe, but I think the dealer has a lot to do with it. If they keep taking care of me, they will keep getting my buisness. Plus they offer free shuttle service to my house when I am getting work done, and free food, coffee and sodas while I wait. I love it! And they let me drive the hell out of a X MR today
Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRedition05
The issue with this statement is that Mitsu markets the Evo based on it's performance. In the ads for the new Lancer, they show an older Evo all rally raced out hauling azz. Do they expect us not to do it? Why buy a car that THEY say does 0-60 in the 4 second range if they don't expect us to do it? All the Evo documentation stresses on performance, so why is it unreasonable to expect a better clutch? You say that they will not hold up to a dump in an AWD car, so why did they put it in an AWD car? And the rev limiter? 5k RPMs? If you think the stock clutch can hold up to a 2 step drop off that limiter for long, then that's a difference of opinion.

As for brand loyalty, my dealership has been great to me so far. I took my Evo in for a service and they changed all the fluids and filters for free under the 2005 free service rules. Then they called me back and told me that when they invoiced the parts to Mitsu, that Mitsu wanted additional stuff repaired that wasn't even on my initial contract. So they called me back and changed my belt and some other stuff for free. They treat me so well, that when I was looking for an SUV I ended up with an Outlander XLS from them (GG like the Evo of course). So, brand loyalty? Maybe, but I think the dealer has a lot to do with it. If they keep taking care of me, they will keep getting my buisness. Plus they offer free shuttle service to my house when I am getting work done, and free food, coffee and sodas while I wait. I love it! And they let me drive the hell out of a X MR today

this is what i still dont understand here in evom
my personal experience with my evo and a stock clutch was that i made more the 100 drag passes and i always launched my car from 7000rpms and i made a quick dump and the clutch lasted for more then 24,000 miles
also i talked to a japanese tech that came to my country he was directly involve in the production of evos and i asked him why the USA evo model had a rev limiter to 5,500rpms and the japanese version didnt have this?
he told me that he owns and evo 9 in japan in which he drag races with a stock clutch and he says he always launches his car from 7500rpms and has never had a single problem he told me that in the USA tracks have a very sticky surface and if someone makes a 7000rpm launch the transfer would break cause the car needs wheelspin
iam gonna open a topic on the drag forums about this
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
this is what i still dont understand here in evom
my personal experience with my evo and a stock clutch was that i made more the 100 drag passes and i always launched my car from 7000rpms and i made a quick dump and the clutch lasted for more then 24,000 miles
also i talked to a japanese tech that came to my country he was directly involve in the production of evos and i asked him why the USA evo model had a rev limiter to 5,500rpms and the japanese version didnt have this?
he told me that he owns and evo 9 in japan in which he drag races with a stock clutch and he says he always launches his car from 7500rpms and has never had a single problem he told me that in the USA tracks have a very sticky surface and if someone makes a 7000rpm launch the transfer would break cause the car needs wheelspin
iam gonna open a topic on the drag forums about this

I still have my stock clutch in my car, but it's hard to argue that they don't go out fast when so many people have had this issue. I think the rev limiter thing was just to avoid damage on the car since it started the same year they went to the 10 year 100k warranty. For now, I just launch carefully. Did you make these 100 drag passes with an all stock car, or are you making a lot more than stock power? It makes a difference.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MRedition05
I still have my stock clutch in my car, but it's hard to argue that they don't go out fast when so many people have had this issue. I think the rev limiter thing was just to avoid damage on the car since it started the same year they went to the 10 year 100k warranty. For now, I just launch carefully. Did you make these 100 drag passes with an all stock car, or are you making a lot more than stock power? It makes a difference.
i had my car stock only for the first 5000 miles then i modded making around 360whp according to DLL no dynos near
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

time and time again the issue of mods comes in to mind. if you're able to afford the mods, then be able to afford to replace the clutch, tranny and don't blame it on mitsu. you play, you pay unless they are your team sponsor.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi as a brand