Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi as a brand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
One reason MITSUBISHI is not well known to the person on the street is due to lack of advertising...I can count on maybe two fingers on how many times I see a television commercial, verseus say Toyota...I have met people who don't even know how to pronounce "MITSUBISHI".
Just from my experience since 1986, I have owned three MITSUBISHI Vehicles: 1986 Starion LE ('flat fender') and still own my: 1989 STARION ESI-R ('Wide Body') and 2006 Evo 9MR. I am the original owner of both cars. I only had an issue with the Starion when the Torque Tube mount cracked. I took it to the MITSUBISHI dealership and they replaced it with no questions asked. The parts department at my local dealerships (one originazation owns two places near me) are great and friendly to me. I have been going there for about 12 years at least.
I understand some (not all) of the feelings/opinions expressed above, but in some cases, it sounds to me that there were personell issues. The owners of some of these dealerships hire DICKS and 'sharks' as sales managers and sales people/parts dept. employees. Maybe the complaints have to go to the Managers., etc. I personally have never had an issuue with the quality of me three MITSUBISHI cars I have owned. Yes, I would buy another MITSUBISHI vehicle in a second if I could. I think the suggestion of bringing smaller-sized cars here, like the newly-introduced JDM 'i' would be a great idea! They are cheap, have great gas mileage ratings and with many units on the road, maybe more people would be interested in them and other MITSUBISHI cars...These views expressed are just mine. I know that there are people that won't agree and that's fine, but I want you to know that I am totally satisfied with owning my MITSUBISHI cars and plan to buy more of them when I can. Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi's only has the bad rep here in the US (mostly its because "we" don't have that customer service thang on lock at the dealerships.) When I went to the Mitsu dealership in England it was like walking into a BMW Dealership with the same top-notch service you'd get over here. Mitsus are seen more than anything else on the road in other countries. If there was no Evo, I'd get a GT-R.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Mistu should just be come a small and performance based brand, similar to Lotus.

They should only have like 1 dealership per state (maybe two in CA, lol), and cut cost by getting rid of a lot of wack employees and deadbeat dealerships. They should just sale the Lancer line up (cept turn the base lancer into a performance coupe like someone said). They should just focus on doing what their good at, which is making performance cars, like the EVO and the new Ralliart.

This is just an idea and can be expanded on and perfected. Most people will say its not a great idea if the want to be a big car manufacture, like toyota and honda. But if they dont do this, we might not have any mitsu, which mean no EVO.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:39 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noize,

Unfortunately you're asking all of us to give Mitsubishi something they haven't earned. Mitsu was a very strong and respectable company back in the 80s and 90s. They made good cars back then that were very competitive in the marketplace. But, in recent years they have quickly lost the trust, respect and dollars of enthusiasts and the general public...and there's a very good reason for that.

Not sure if everyone knows, but Mitsu is currently on their 3rd new global business plan in the past 5 years. That doesn't sound like a business that knows how to right the ship and get back to being a successful car company. They are awash in red ink. Sales are so low right now that things in Cypress, CA have to be extremely scary and stressful. This company can't stay afloat in the US at their current sales pace. Did you know MMNA needs to sell over 150k units a year in the US just to break even? The dealers are losing money every month which is why many have closed their doors. And, trying to sell a Mitsu franchise right now is like trying to sell ice to an eskimo.

The Evo (VIII, IX or X) are the only true stand-out products in their line up and all of us guys are willing to overlook the brand's faults because we want the Evo. We don't want a Mitsubishi...we want an Evo. Think about that for a second.

Mitsu has a long way to go in gaining the trust of not only enthusiasts, but the general public. In fact, it's such a long road ahead that if Mitsu pulled out of the US within the next 5 years, it wouldn't surprise me. There is hope though...Nissan was in a very similar situation in the mid 90s. Mazda was also in a very similar situation in the late 90s. Although, both weren't in as bad of shape as Mitsu, they were both brands that lost their way, sales dipped, but they turned themselves around with a commitment to getting back to the brand's essence and letting everything else fall out of that...great new products also helped a lot.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jul 17, 2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
While I do believe that a revitalization of the rest of the product line would help, I think us Evo lovers should stand up in support of the company that engineered and built these cars we spend so much time with.
Yeah... And while we're at it, lets void a warranty or two!

Look, I understand the support. But until I have clear proof that Mitsu is not as douchy with warranties as they have been, I will never EVER by a Mitsu again. If it weren't for the Evo (and the natural battle of other companies against it) I would hope that they went under.

Oh, and to add to the AGAIN many millions of complaints about the build quality/cheapness of the Evo... Take a look at your full sentence. Almost everytime someone complains about the quality of stuff in the Evo (my staples, my seatback, the noises, the clutch, the pedals, blah blah blah) they state JUST BEFORE how incredible it is that the car can compete with more expensive cars... If you want a sports car with high build quality, you are going to have to pay for the higher build quality. Gotta skimp out on costs somewhere. Might as well put the cheapest pos crap you can find in certain places where it shouldn't matter to the enthusiasts that are buying the car. Who cares if your seat is falling apart? Its still faster than a Ferrari for less than half the price!

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jul 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Noize,
Mitsu has a long way to go in gaining the trust of not only enthusiasts, but the general public. In fact, it's such a long road ahead that if Mitsu pulled out of the US within the next 5 years, it wouldn't surprise me. There is hope though...Nissan was in a very similar situation in the mid 90s. Mazda was also in a very similar situation in the late 90s. Although, both weren't in as bad of shape as Mitsu, they were both brands that lost their way, sales dipped, but they turned themselves around with a commitment to getting back to the brand's essence and letting everything else fall out of that...great new products also helped a lot.
I honestly thought that Mitsu would be gone within 2 years of their "no payments for a year" financing they did a couple years ago. There were so many repos and defaults on those loans that I can totally understand why Mitsu financing sucks now.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Staples in my seats showing? Nope.
I've got ~2000 miles and the staples are showing/pulled out on both front seats. There are enough people on this forum with this issue what it is not a one off thing (like the broken accelerator pedal).
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
right where i live, the subaru dealer ship just closed....
And guess what? Mitsubishi opened up instead.
Call it Ramsey Mitsubishi.

Bashing the Mitsubishi as a brand is pretty much started with Pearl Harbor.

But on the other hand people buy more mitsubishi staff what they think...
From the writable cd's to all a way to TV's or cars or trucks. Most of them they just dont like the brand , but in some way they buy them...

So i actually got argument with one office guy about his GTO vs my shoe box.
He told me he would never buy Mitsu, because he is a real american guy.
Then i asked him why you buying then Mitsubishi writable CD's?
You guys should see his face then.

He hates me.....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
"The Evo (VIII, IX or X) are the only true stand-out products in their line up and all of us guys are willing to overlook the brand's faults because we want the Evo. We don't want a Mitsubishi...we want an Evo. Think about that for a second."

wrong,
The evo 1 and up all of those cars was ahead for they time. Not to mention they line before the evo... They launched the galant on the safari ralli 1.6l engine against porsche's audis name it. And they took the first 3 place on that rally... Wasn't the Evo.
Then some how the EU racing rules limited out those cars/ Embarrising for the Porsche the new 1.6l Japan car beat them to death?
I guess.
not to mention they product back then with Trucks, tanks, Airplanes etc.
Mitsubishi GOT HISTORY just in the states they kinda quiet about it....
Good thing we have internet.
they had the first production car in japan, they had a first 4wd passanger car in japan etc.
just used the google and history + Mitsubishi name ...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

The first Mitsubishi in the family was a 3000GT that my dad bought (still has) when I was younger. He had great luck with the car and the dealership / service department. I bought my first Mitsu in 2005 as an Evo VIII. Personally, it didn't matter who made it, but knowing that we've had good luck with mitsu's in the family, I was not at all reluctant to buy a Mitsu. All of my needs were met while owning the evo. Calipers replaced, airbox replaced, seat recliner replaced, etc... without a problem. I was working on the spoiler and they were about to do it, but I traded in for the X. Now owning two Mitsu's thus far, I'm liking the company. I think more people should support companies that make great products like the evo. When mitsu is gone, there might not be any other option in the 30K range. Without the Evo, the STI won't be kept in check and most likely will not improve. IE Acura NSX.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i truly love the mitsubishi name. cars, electronics, whatever. i truly believe in the name and the cars! i have had a mitsubishi ever since i could drive.

i honestly believe that the biggest problem they face is the people representing them, and by that i mean the dealerships. we have been through three dealerships here in my town. the current one actually seems to be pretty good. i haven't had any problems yet. but i am giving them the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong. i believe the dealerships have alot of work to do. they turn first time buyers against the name brand with denying legit claims and giving them the run around. they push enthusiasts toward competitors flagships with the same tactics. i seriously considered other cars with the X just because i didn't want to deal with Mitsu dealership again. but in the end i went with what i thought was the best designed and engineered vehicle. i am glad i did. i place most of the blame for the problems of mitsubishi on the dealers. if they did what they were supposed to and tried to have, keep and make happy customers then i think mitsu would be doing much better here in the states.

i have no problem paying 35k for a car. and yes i know things will go wrong. stables in the seats will show (which i have happening in both my front seats) that switches will go bad and things of that nature. it happens. but it you should not have to worry about if the dealership is going to fix it for you. you should know they will with no doubts. yes there will be people that abuse this and try to get their blown motor warrantied with a boost controller set to 35psi on the car i would rather fix the blown motor and have a happy customer that will run his mouth about how he got a new motor and how mitsubishi is great than to have someone complaining about a window motor that burned up and that the dealership won't replace because you tapped into the electrical system to install a gps unit (i have personally see this one happen).

i truly think that when people complain about Mitsu most of the time they are complaining about the dealerships not the design/engineering in the car. just my .02
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I honestly thought that Mitsu would be gone within 2 years of their "no payments for a year" financing they did a couple years ago. There were so many repos and defaults on those loans that I can totally understand why Mitsu financing sucks now.
If Mitsu could pull out, they probably would. They lose too much money in the US. But, they have long-term franchise agreements with over 500 dealers. They would be taken to court by every one of those dealers if they pulled out. Or, they would have to pay each dealer quite a large sum of money for the dealers to opt out of their franchise agreements...and Mitsu doesn't have that kind of money. So, they're kind of in a catch 22 because of the franchise agreements.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:09 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
wrong,
The evo 1 and up all of those cars was ahead for they time. Not to mention they line before the evo... They launched the galant on the safari ralli 1.6l engine against porsche's audis name it. And they took the first 3 place on that rally... Wasn't the Evo.
Then some how the EU racing rules limited out those cars/ Embarrising for the Porsche the new 1.6l Japan car beat them to death?
I guess.
not to mention they product back then with Trucks, tanks, Airplanes etc.
Mitsubishi GOT HISTORY just in the states they kinda quiet about it....
Good thing we have internet.
they had the first production car in japan, they had a first 4wd passanger car in japan etc.
just used the google and history + Mitsubishi name ...
Agreed...you bring up some good points. But, this discussion is about the current state of the Mitsubishi brand here in the USA. The average consumer doesn't really care much about the cars that aren't sold here or that Mitsu wins Dakar every year. Just not relevant here.

Current reality for Mitsu is that their overall current line up of cars, trucks and SUVS are not inspiring and are not all that competitive against Toyota, Honda, VW, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai nor Subaru...heck, I'll even throw Kia in there. Plus, their brand name is weak in the minds of consumers. That's why Mitsu either doesn't make it on the shopping list to begin with (which happens the overwhelming majority of times) or it falls off the shopping list because there are better alternatives from other brands. Only case where that rarely happens is with the Evo.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Current reality for Mitsu is that their overall current line up of cars, trucks and SUVS are not inspiring and are not all that competitive against Toyota, Honda, VW, Mazda, Nissan, Hyundai nor Subaru...heck, I'll even throw Kia in there.
I don't really agree with that bolded part. And I know that Hyundai is doing just great now, but I will not buy one of their cars, as they are all soulless to me.

Do you just absolutely hate Mitsubishi? I see you really active in here and posting the sales data threads often. What is your personal take? Did you own an Evo in the past?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, we should reward them for being mediocre (at best). That'll help them get out of their slump.

The Evo and the Eclipse are the only thing they're doing right. They're catching on to that fact, as evidenced by the new Ralliart. I'm new to the brand, and was simply appalled by the Mitsubishi service center experience. I know now why everyone complains, and I'm certainly not going to pay to play 20 questions and warranty-voiding games with them on a car that's completely stock. It's insulting.

A couple hundred Evo owners visiting dealerships for service will have no practical effect to Mitsubishi's bottom line.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi as a brand