Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi as a brand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love mitsubishi as a brand. however, the dealerships need to be overhauled and cleaned out, and standards enforced from mitsubishi corporate, and i don't see that happening.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line is that mitsubishi is barely surviving. This is attributable to many factors. Their lineup, aside from the evo and the new lancer, is horrible. The eclipse was and continues to be complete failure. B/c the company is barely surviving it trickles down everywhere. Voiding of warranties for questionable reasons is cost cutting.

Look at the new lancer and the x. Sure I can tell the diff. BUt your average consumer is going to have a hard time telling the two apart. No one would ever mistake the VIII or IX for lancer, no one.

Their dealership are unhappy with their product lineups and need to squeeze every dollar they can from you, since their cars really aren't moving. Thats why the dealerships are such a nightmare. those idiots are still trying to charge markups on cars that aren't selling. Sheeze.

The market is battered overall, but companies like toyota are slightly nudging their sales forecasts down while Mitsu is being decimated right now.

I don't have any loyalty to mitsubishi. I have loyalty to the evo.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Staples in my seats showing? Nope. Nice dodge on the plastic drive by wire pedal stems. How about I don't debate you on economics, and you stop trying to stand on the technical info of a car you admittedly know zip about. Mmkay?

I'm not loyal to one car brand. At all. But I think Mitsubishi has taken some hits in areas where they struggle (like salespeople) that lets poeple gloss over the fact that the Evo IS a better product with more performance for the buck than almost any other products out there. I'm not saying that if Mitsu made the Evo a FWD 5psi turboed $27000 car I would be loyal to them. I'm saying I like the bang for the buck is great. Perhaps "pride" would have been a better word. Happy?
I didn't dodge anything on the pedals... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=14

While higher end other cars may have plastic pedals, I've never heard of a pedal breaking until the Evo X. As a matter of fact, if you google "broken plastic pedal" guess what the first result is?

I was with you fundamentally... the whole pride in what you drive thing I can dig. But pride towards the brand as a whole? Not so much... everything Mitsu has produced(read: imported to the US) since 1994 has been completely un-noteworthy until the Evo (I exclude 7-bolt DSMs because of crankwalk). So we were on the same page until you wrote this...

Originally Posted by Noize
I don't really agree with that bolded part. And I know that Hyundai is doing just great now, but I will not buy one of their cars, as they are all soulless to me.

Do you just absolutely hate Mitsubishi? I see you really active in here and posting the sales data threads often. What is your personal take? Did you own an Evo in the past?
What makes a Hyundai any more soulless than a Mitsu? If you can see one giant corporation that produces cars in a far, far away place as soulless, why put the blinders on the for another manufacturer? Just because Mitsu has one nice car like the Evo, and I'm willing to call it like I see it for what it is, doesn't mean I hate, or even have anything against Mitsu.

When looking at the broad range of a manufacturer's offerings, and forming a holistic option on that brand, Mitsu completely misses the mark (they haven't made a noteworthy car in the US in the past decade, Evo excluded. You have to go back 15 years to the 1G DSMs to get anything comparable.)

And therein lies the whole fallacy of loyalty to any company/brand/logo... I love the Evo, but hate everything else Mitsu makes. I gave $X for my car because it is what I felt would (a) meet my needs and (b) get me the most enjoyment out of that sum of money. The transaction is made, and I couldn't care less whether the manufacturer of the car I bought went up, down, or side to side now. Maybe I'm just heartless like that though
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

^ Hey man, I don't think he was referring to you with this quote. Check his post again. He quoted someone else.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
^ Hey man, I don't think he was referring to you with this quote. Check his post again. He quoted someone else.
I know he wasn't directing it at me, but the fact that he called Hyundai soulless caught my attention.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by derekste
I find it hard to rectify this statement with a company who puts plastic pedals in a $40k car.

The idea of loyalty to a corporation is laughable at best, and naive at worst.

edit: just to elaborate on my original statement... I'll make it a bit more clear. Car dealerships/manufacturers aren't out there to make you feel all warm and fuzzy, they're out there to provide a competitive product at the lowest price that they can while maximizing their profits. Even though you may want to deny it, automotive manufacturers are in the BUSINESS of cutting corners to save pennies. The plastic pedals thing is just one of those examples. What about clearcoat fade on calipers and wings, and the refusal to honor warranties on this problem, as well as electrical systems when a car has a completely inconsequential turboback? These are the all-too-common examples of dealerships (and car brands as a whole) trying to nickel-and-dime you for everything you're worth. JM2C.

I think you're a little off on your thinking. There is only so much money can buy, whether it be $30K, $40K, whatever. The Evo is meant to be a performance car, and beats the pants off almost any other car in it's price range. Sure, it doesn't have the most luxurious interior, but that's where it skimped to keep price down.

There are cars like a $40K Lexus who have way better interiors and other parts, but FAR less performance. It's all on what they wanted to put into the car.

You can't have everything. And if you do, you can pony up $70+K for a GTR or similar. And even then, THEY skimp on something a $120K car has. It is all relative. You bought an Evo for a reason, but be happy it does what it is meant to do...and does it well.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
Look at the new lancer and the x. Sure I can tell the diff. BUt your average consumer is going to have a hard time telling the two apart. No one would ever mistake the VIII or IX for lancer, no one.
Everyone always points this out as a bad thing, but to me it's the exact opposite. Take what you're good at, and leverage it into your other products. In this case, Mitsubishi knows how to make an appealing Evo. So you take elements of the Evo and make them visible in the base cars. People associate those lesser models with the halo model, and sales increase. For better or worse, buying a car is an emotional experience.

While it could be argued it makes our cars less unique, it is undoubtedly a good business decision for Mitsubishi.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by derekste
What makes a Hyundai any more soulless than a Mitsu? If you can see one giant corporation that produces cars in a far, far away place as soulless, why put the blinders on the for another manufacturer? Just because Mitsu has one nice car like the Evo, and I'm willing to call it like I see it for what it is, doesn't mean I hate, or even have anything against Mitsu.

When looking at the broad range of a manufacturer's offerings, and forming a holistic option on that brand, Mitsu completely misses the mark (they haven't made a noteworthy car in the US in the past decade, Evo excluded. You have to go back 15 years to the 1G DSMs to get anything comparable.)

And therein lies the whole fallacy of loyalty to any company/brand/logo... I love the Evo, but hate everything else Mitsu makes. I gave $X for my car because it is what I felt would (a) meet my needs and (b) get me the most enjoyment out of that sum of money. The transaction is made, and I couldn't care less whether the manufacturer of the car I bought went up, down, or side to side now. Maybe I'm just heartless like that though
No, but maybe you're taking a meaning away from this that wasn't intended. I'm going to make this really concise for you so it is easy to understand:

1) I love the Evo.
2) I respect Mitsubishi a ton for having the ***** to make a car like this.
3) I don't like Hyundai because to me "soul" is personified in a performance car, as that's what I like. The Tiburon certainly didn't have any, and the Genesis looks like its going to be bigger and more vanilla than originally stated. AKA Hyundai has no soul because they have no fun/performance car.
4) The Evo is 10 times the car the first and second gen DSMs were (I owned a 2G GS-T, I know).
5) I like Mitsubishi Motors because of the Evo. If there was no Evo and they kept the rest of their product line just as it is, they would have nothing I am interested in.

Get it?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah I definitely understand what you're saying...

My foreman at work keeps bringing up my car purchase at work. The other guys are always like you're paying 25k for a used mitsubishi?!?!?! They don't understand what the evo actually is, but I will say I would never be purchasing a mitsubishi if there was no evo.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

All I gotta say is, Long Live The Evo, without it Mitsubishi wouldn't be much.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
I think you're a little off on your thinking. There is only so much money can buy, whether it be $30K, $40K, whatever. The Evo is meant to be a performance car, and beats the pants off almost any other car in it's price range. Sure, it doesn't have the most luxurious interior, but that's where it skimped to keep price down.

There are cars like a $40K Lexus who have way better interiors and other parts, but FAR less performance. It's all on what they wanted to put into the car.

You can't have everything. And if you do, you can pony up $70+K for a GTR or similar. And even then, THEY skimp on something a $120K car has. It is all relative. You bought an Evo for a reason, but be happy it does what it is meant to do...and does it well.
The thread is about the mitsu brand and not the evo itself. I don't think noone on this board would argue with you about the evo and it's performance. But Mitsu itself has went south over the years. only the evo gets any respect and that is from people who know what type of car that is. Can't tell you how many times someone told me I have a nice lancer and it was the first one they seen one hooked up. As far as mitsu, they need a revamp of the company to get people to buy. And the evo x should have never been the car to do that.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kobi2002
Will you go outside an evo and buy a regular lancer right now ?? Or even an eclipse? Apart from the evo, the other mitsu cars don't get any acclaim at all. And that is mitsus fault.
To be honest...if I wasn't looking for a performance oriented car I probably wouldn't consider anything else that Mitsu offers. I'd probably be looking back toward the Audi's or something similar.

I probably should have been more specific in my statement that they make an excellent product...should have been "they make an excellent Evo".
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostd4
To be honest...if I wasn't looking for a performance oriented car I probably wouldn't consider anything else that Mitsu offers. I'd probably be looking back toward the Audi's or something similar.

I probably should have been more specific in my statement that they make an excellent product...should have been "they make an excellent Evo".
That is the way I feel and can bet most of the people on this board feels also
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by VincentX
I'm loyal to no company. If Toyota comes out with something better than the Evo for the same price I will buy that.
I am in the same boat as you.....company dont pay my bills so f*ck them...I am not a red neck thats in to Ford and hate Chevy. Some of the people in here seem to think that I wont be missed if i moved on....but the fact is its not me that wont be missed its Mitsubishi, I am the buyer so kiss my as* I dont have to kiss YOURS!!!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:50 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the reality of most who diss the mitsubishi brand are probably new to the evo scene and suddenly realized how great a car the evo is. Mostly poseurs who wants stature brand like bmw, mb, audi until they get to see what the evo is capable of. I can afford to buy a p-car but prefers the evo and anything mitsubishi.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi as a brand