Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Mitsubishi as a brand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its funny when you go to a Mitsubishi dealership looking for an Evo and they try to sell you a STI. What a great company. But to begin with, I was never a real fan of Mitsu. I have always been real big on Nissan. Had 2 Nissans' prior to buying my Evo.

Last edited by AIEvo9MR; Jul 21, 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Noize I'm with you all the way, thinking that about small things may make a huge difference to our view of the car for example "plastic peddle" nevermind the drive by wire, mitsu designed the car this way so it can be at a great affordable price that all of us can handle, and not make a 100,000$ car in the process of making "the best" there is out there, not to mention weight and all those little things that sometimes people like us neglect to think about.

Mitsubishi is a great company and they made it this far with a great product that found a place in our hearts, BTW here in Kuwait there's no such thing as an Evo warranty, and I'll tell you man I would buy the car even so, I had to change my tranny a few months back and now I'm rebuilding my engine on my own, without the luxury of a warranty whatsoever, and you can see a smile on my face.

Evos are special, we all respect that, so what mitsu wants to make profit, aslong as it stays in business we are all happy, I dont see how running mitsu out of business would be to our benefit in trying to overplease customers.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
^ Nicely put Shocky!!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Noize,

Let me get this right, you are basicly saying that because Mitsubishi makes the "awesome Evo", that people should collectively support them despite their garbage car lineup, terrible reliability, horrible service departments and work performed there, not to mention their faltering people with deplorable sales tactics?

Once upon a time, Mitsubishi was a rising star that shined bright, both here and over seas. Before their sub-standard quality (compared to other Japanese makes that is) was so apparent, they offered a great product to the US markets. At one time, when somebody would say "Mitsubishi", it would invoke images of a Pajero, wide open in the Dakaar Rally, or a Galant VR4 tearing over the snow, or even a soaring WWII A6M Zero. Now, that name to many people means snapped timing belts, out of spec crankshafts on brand new $30,000 cars, broken door handles, and outrage felt at many dealerships. Not to mention, despite such enthusiasm over just one model (Evolution), their current lineup lacks even of a fraction of the passion and excitement that previous models such as the first and second generation Eclipse did, as well as cars like the FTO, 3000GT, or even the Starion.

I don't feel bad for a multi-billion dollar corporation who is the oldest car manufacturer in it's country, and still can't make it work. The fact of the matter is, Mitsubishi offers cars more for a niche market, similar to that of Saab, Volvo and Subaru. They will never move the volume of units like Honda or Toyota, but that isn't expected. What is expected is to offer a product that excites ALL of it's customers, and offer them service and peace of mind that they will be buying a dependable quality product that will perform and live up to it's promises. They as a company (at least in North America) need a complete overhaul, and when I mean overhaul, I'm not talking about another crappy sales campaign with horrible music and dancers, but a complete revamp of their model lineup, and dealerships including sales and service. Mitsu actually has a nice lineup of cars overseas that may sell well here (read: Colt and i), but I don't think they are smart enough to consider bringing them here.

Mabey one day Mitsu will finally pull it's head up, which right now is firmly lodged up it's own ***. But sadly enough, by that time, they may go the ways of Renault and not be sold in the states any longer.
Originally Posted by Noize
I believe it is time for us to make a change in our thinking. For years, DSM people have hated the dealership network in regard to service. This has trickled over to Evos, and at times rightfully so.

But I think we need to start caring about Mitsubishi as a brand more. In the past, I have been one of the first to concede that Mitsu is a bit lackluster, but I have a ton of Evo pride. I believe that the Evo is front to back better engineered than an STI, but have given Subaru more props as a company than Mitsubishi.

My point is that there are a lot of Mitsubishi dealerships failing. I live in a metro area that supports around a million people, and at one time, we had three Mitsu dealers here. All of them failed and closed, unfortunately, so we went around 8 months with no Mitusbishi dealership at all. Finally, another one opened up, but they are not doing well.

While I do believe that a revitalization of the rest of the product line would help, I think us Evo lovers should stand up in support of the company that engineered and built these cars we spend so much time with. The 4G63 was a masterpiece, and still humiliates newer cars even though its a twenty year old engine. The 4B11 is awesome: Square, great head design, loves to rev, holds 25psi stock internals without breaking a sweat. Try this in other factory forced induction cars and see what happens.

I guess that I am trying to say that the Evo is a very special car, its why we are all here, and because of that, Mitsubishi has done something VERY right. Lets try to reel in some of the negativity toward the brand and pour one out for 'em instead.

Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Mitsubishi as a Brand

Talontuner4g63. Sorry, I can't agree with your statements! As my signature shows: I own an Evo 9MR (new) and a 1989 MITSUBISHI Starion ESI-R (since new) with 91,000 Miles.
Either car has never, NEVER given me any problems! I know plenty of people who have older Galants, Mirages, pick up trucks with high mileage and are running just fine! They would buy MITSUBISHI again as I would! If you don't like the current line-up, well, you can't please everyone...
MITSUBISHI is a smaller car manufacturing company, even in Japan. They are not set-up to produce as many cars as say, Toyota and Nissan. They have other interests in manufacturing like aircraft, commercial vehicles, etc.
All huge manufacturers make mistakes. They try something new and sometimes fall flat on their faces and other times they fly!! I remember when MITSUBISHI sold cars through Chrysler/Dodge and after a few years the cars would start rusting through. They have come a long way since the early 1980's!! I also remember when Dodge produced vans in the 1970's and put the ignition on the LEFT SIDE of the dash!! Why??
Now, as far as their Dealerships! I personally think (I know tons of people will DISAGREE with me!!) it is a personell issue! My Dealership in Northern New Jersey treats me great! For the people who are having problems, I think the people in charge who do the hiring need some classes on how to deal with the public hire the right kind of people who can CORRECTLY understand warrantees, etc. and sincerely take care of customer's complaints! Yes, MANY need to work on people skills!!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Jul 30, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ9MR
Talontuner4g63. Sorry, I can't agree with your statements! As my signature shows: I own an Evo 9MR (new) and a 1989 MITSUBISHI Starion ESI-R (since new) with 91,000 Miles.
Either car has never, NEVER given me any problems! I know plenty of people who have older Galants, Mirages, pick up trucks with high mileage and are running just fine! They would buy MITSUBISHI again as I would! If you don't like the current line-up, well, you can't please everyone...
MITSUBISHI is a smaller car manufacturing company, even in Japan. They are not set-up to produce as many cars as say, Toyota and Nissan. They have other interests in manufacturing like aircraft, commercial vehicles, etc.
All huge manufacturers make mistakes. They try something new and sometimes fall flat on their faces and other times they fly!! I remember when MITSUBISHI sold cars through Chrysler/Dodge and after a few years the cars would start rusting through. They have come a long way since the early 1980's!! I also remember when Dodge produced vans in the 1970's and put the ignition on the LEFT SIDE of the dash!! Why??
Now, as far as their Dealerships! I personally think (I know tons of people will DISAGREE with me!!) it is a personell issue! My Dealership in Northern New Jersey treats me great! For the people who are having problems, I think the people in charge who do the hiring need some classes on how to deal with the public hire the right kind of people who can CORRECTLY understand warrantees, etc. and sincerely take care of customer's complaints! Yes, MANY need to work on people skills!!
i'm with you Howard.
Many of my friends running on 1996-2000 galant as a DD. most of them over 200k miles. Guess what? they are fine and doesn't make more problem then my wife 2007 350 CLK convertible what she using.
Or the 2 of te Audi A6 3.0 quatro she had before... /2 of them faild on reilable test/

Now she is see the Mitsubishi in battle, she wants to get one EVO X gsr for next year /she dont thrust the MR tranny /
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I also remember when Dodge produced vans in the 1970's and put the ignition on the LEFT SIDE of the dash!! Why??
Same reason Porsche does
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:06 AM

Wow, that was probably the most biased post I've ever read.

Sorry, but Mitsubishi isn't doing that great as a car manufacturer.. obviously what they've been doing until now has barely been scraping them by..

I just recently drove a 2008 Sentra rental car and the interior was even better than the Evo GSR's I've looked at.. which isn't saying much.

Originally Posted by Shocky
Noize I'm with you all the way, thinking that about small things may make a huge difference to our view of the car for example "plastic peddle" nevermind the drive by wire, mitsu designed the car this way so it can be at a great affordable price that all of us can handle, and not make a 100,000$ car in the process of making "the best" there is out there, not to mention weight and all those little things that sometimes people like us neglect to think about.

Mitsubishi is a great company and they made it this far with a great product that found a place in our hearts, BTW here in Kuwait there's no such thing as an Evo warranty, and I'll tell you man I would buy the car even so, I had to change my tranny a few months back and now I'm rebuilding my engine on my own, without the luxury of a warranty whatsoever, and you can see a smile on my face.

Evos are special, we all respect that, so what mitsu wants to make profit, aslong as it stays in business we are all happy, I dont see how running mitsu out of business would be to our benefit in trying to overplease customers.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Same reason Porsche does
so why?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:32 AM

From what I read, it seems like he was referring to exactly subpar quality cars in between the time both of your cars were produced. So you got exactly the "good car it once made" and the "good car it's finally making again" that he was referring to.

As for how consumers are not getting cars they want... well, we can voice our concerns, and only hope that guys making the decisions on what cars to bring to the market actually care about the fun in driving.

Crappy dealerships are just always gonna exist as long as there are tools of shoppers and tools of sales people that treat shoppers as idiots.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NJ9MR,

I understand you are a Mitsubishi enthusiast, as am I. I love alot of Mitsubishis, save anything built up untill around now.

There are always going to be people with every single type of car which are exceptions, cars that seem to last forever, or total lemons. When I speak of problems with Mitsubishi, these are a majority of people, not a small minority.

Imagine a few thousand miles after you bought your Evo, the clutch went out. After you replaced your clutch, a few thousand miles later your main bearings take a dump in your engine, in a car you just drive around in. Then imagine that because of the clutch you just had to replace, Mitsubishi blames your engine failure on you, while knowingly understands they have a serious issue with a large quantity of said engine. Regardless, you end up paying thousands. I am speaking of the crankwalk issue found on the early second gen DSM cars.

Working at a Mitsu dealership for a while really let me get a grasp on how bad some of these cars really are, and how Mitsubishi dosn't even have alot of faith in them.

And as far as the lineup, it's not just me who thinks theyre lackluster, it's ALOT of people. My girlfriend and I bought new cars last year, I bought an 07 Civic coupe, she bought an 07 Sentra. We both scoped out the new Lancer before our purchases. I spent a good bit of time behind the wheel, and was motivated because working at the dealership allowed me potential to get a pretty damn good deal. I ended up going with the Honda, and she with the Nissan, because the Lancer is a turd. Feels way cheaper than both of our cars, and here is the most important thing:

I have the confidence that both my Honda, and her Nissan, will give us less trouble over the course of the years than that Mitsubishi.

And thats plain and simple. When it comes down to it, and you have the cash in hand, aside from the Evo, are you really going to purchase a Mitsubishi product? Most people are saying "no".
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
so why?
Well... Le Mans... Used to be that the drivers would run from the starting point to their cars, hop in, start their car on grid, and go. They'd be grid up in qualifying order but the driver who could run and start their car and get going before the others would have the jump.

So... Ingeniusly... Porsche put the ignition on the left (or the right, as it were in Europe), so that the driver could start the car with one hand and put it in first gear with the other.

Doubt that's why Dodge did it, but it is still very handy. I can start my car and be in reverse/1st in the same quick motion... In case I ever am in "Le Mans speed" hurry Dodge probably did it in the attempt to copy Porsche... Just like all of the first push button start things (S2000 jumps to mind first off) copying Ferrari.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

the Honda and a nissan is waaay more advertised car the Mitsu.
Now the clutch issues on these cars... Why around the world where people main majority driving stick , its no issues there, but America?
I know i will hurt many people here but mainly the human error is responsible for clutch problems.
The clutch made to fail first in the drive train to prevent further or more excessive damage. Brilliant!

If you add whp for the car and you are wondering why the clutch slips ... That is a longer story. But as you know something got to give sooner or later.

it is a long debate , so we can go around around.

Also the Mitsubishi is a well respected company around a world except here.
Those EU guys or Asian guy could chip in here too.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Well... Le Mans... Used to be that the drivers would run from the starting point to their cars, hop in, start their car on grid, and go. They'd be grid up in qualifying order but the driver who could run and start their car and get going before the others would have the jump.

So... Ingeniusly... Porsche put the ignition on the left (or the right, as it were in Europe), so that the driver could start the car with one hand and put it in first gear with the other.

Doubt that's why Dodge did it, but it is still very handy. I can start my car and be in reverse/1st in the same quick motion... In case I ever am in "Le Mans speed" hurry Dodge probably did it in the attempt to copy Porsche... Just like all of the first push button start things (S2000 jumps to mind first off) copying Ferrari.
i think the le mans cars starts with the button , not with a key.
you dont need to run the engine to put the car in gear.

so why?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

hm...
i would never start the car and the same time put it in gear. But i'm not a la mans driver also.
I would use the start button , or just leave the car in first gear. so you dont need a parking break, which takes time to reales too, since we have only 2 arms

so why?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 30, 2008 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi as a brand