Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2008, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agent45
Thanks for yr thorough reply SHIFTT IX MR, yr write up is very knowledgable and well written. I decided to go with the Royal Purple today. I can honestly say, that yes, from the moment I started up my car and drove it out of the parking lot, it felt better.
I am going to have to agree with SHIFT about the better idling. As many X owners have learned, even thought the dealer flashes have fixed the vast majority of the idle issues, there can still be slight issues at times. I drove almost an hr and a half home, in stop and go traffic, and the idling was perfect, and any stutter b4 was gone. (also an FYI to evo X owners with idle issues with the AC on, it may be due to the fan interferring with the maf sensor, and I believe Bushcer is making a shield fix for this)The car did feel better WOT in 2-5th as well. I don't feel that the 100 dollar price tag to upgrade to RP is a big deal every 3000 miles. If you drive an Evo, it should be expected that things will be more pricey than on a civic,lol. And to mksevo, I don't use oil for hp either, but if its an added benefit with an oil change why wouldn't you, THAT to me seems a no brainer. To many evo X owners that experience idle stutter occasionaly, may benefit from the switch. I added it, and in my opinion, it is a nice improvement. These are just my 2 cents, and I hope this helps any other evo X owner out there with their choices in the future

Thanks

Just to add on Shift IX MR, Im not that knowlegable like him but I'm running 10W-30 ever since 9k on my car and I have 44 k now and my engine still strong like brand new. So I say Royal purple is best for me
Old Jul 28, 2008, 07:38 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by gonzo
This thread is full of fail. Thanks EVOM! LOL!
No kidding, everyone with their *** opinions

What I would used is cooking oil, nothing beats the smell of eggs in the morning
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Royal Purple shears out of grade very quick in ASTM Tests... As matter of fact, the 10W-40 shears to a 30 wgt after the fist sequence of a 3 sequence test.

AMSOIL has several oils for different applications where they can fit the EVO and it's owners driving habits and conditions.

Staying in the 100% Synthetic range from better to best in the 30 wgts are ATM 10W-30, a great oil, next, 0W-30 for the person who wants a little extra HP at the track and have Superior Protection, and then we move to the Brand New available Aug 1st, Dominator 10W-30 Racing oil... Moving to Higher Viscosity oils, there is ARO 20W-50 and the Brand New Dominator 15W-50 Racing oil which will replace the current TRO 20W-50 Racing oil as supplies run out.

We also have a AMO 10W-40 for the slightly larger clearanced engine but not yet a full bore racer..

Doc
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:27 PM

Exxon Mobil is a 426 billion dollar corporation that spends 15+ billion a year in R&D.
Mobil 1 is the OEM oil and is recommended by several performance car manufacturers.

End of story.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zebekias
Exxon Mobil is a 426 billion dollar corporation that spends 15+ billion a year in R&D.
Mobil 1 is the OEM oil and is recommended by several performance car manufacturers.

End of story.

Dang.... I love it when someone comes up with this.... LOL

Mobil 1 is "recommended" because they sell it cheap to the OEM's, pay for the additional printing of materials and and oil caps. That is why it is recommended. Is it a good oil ? ABSOLUTELY.. But it is not run because it is the best.. They get their return investment due to people seeing it in front of their face and buying it. It is called "Return Sales".

Mobil 1 spent approximately $50 million in advertising for their new "EP, 5000 and 7500" oils which was considered one of the biggest "Non-Events".

Just as most companies, Mitsubishi included, Bean counters have a say in how "good" a product is.

I will say that I would run Mobile 1 "EP" if AMSOIL were no longer available.

But thank goodness the FIRST Synthetic, AMSOIL, is available and has lead the market in Superior Lubrication and Filtration for over 35 years now.

Doc

T
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Royal Purple is damn good stuff. I've run 5w-30 in my EVO IX MR since the first oil change. i change my oil every 5k miles, and i've NEVER had any issues. the car currently has 98k miles on it. because of work, i have been driving it as much as 370 miles a DAY for the past 7 months with autocrosses and rough driving in between. and just to clarify, just because the bulk of those 370 miles a day are highway doesn't mean i take it easy. i DRIVE my car, and it just begs for more. there's way too much missinformation on this board, and too many people with alternate agendas spreading information about other people's products vs their own. everybody wants their opinion to be taken higher than someone else's, so they make up facts to back up their stories. RP for $2.50 a qt? STFU. YOU don't even believe that BS. my advice is to switch to RP and stop listening to advice on these boards so much. i listened to these idiots and put an Exedy stage 1 clutch in my car instead of going OEM again...biggest mistake i ever made. second only to adjusting the clutch pedal which did absolutely nothing but make the car even less fun to drive. Royal Purple is damn good stuff. period.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

There ya have it... Don't listen to anyone on the boards... Coming from an expert..

Oh wait... he is on the Boards too... Now what do we do ?? LOL... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But you speak as though 98K is a lot of miles. How about the 345,000 miles I have on a very abused work van where the oil changes have been from 25,000 to as high as 43,000 mile intervals ? Towing a large trailer, overheated several times due to a water pump and still runs.

84,000 on my 4x4, 63,000 on my other truck, 12,000 on the Lancer and 18,000 on my motorcycle. The only one that has less than a 10,000 mile change is the Lancer at 4000 to switch to 0W-30 from 0W-20 for a little experiment.

I use Oil Analysis from ISO Certified Labs to test my oils and to see what may be going on inside the engine.

Many people come to these Boards to seek out information and Vendors. I have several hundred customers from EVOm alone. I don't see any complaints coming from them and if there was a problem, it would be blasted all over these boards.

Doc
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ Oil Doc FTW +1!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the Kudo's....

Doc
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ +2. The Doc knows his stuff and is a great resource for anything lubricant related when it comes to vehicles of just about any type. Hence why its all AMSoil for me.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

AMSOIL ftmfw! lol
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

RP tested it on the X. http://www.royalpurple.com/drag-sport2.html Happy reading!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I've read that Royal Purple shears out of grade quickly as well as Eneos. Seeing as both these oils are full synthetics, would it not be safe to assume that AMSOIL will also shear out of grade?

Is this a characteristic of synthetic oils or inferior synthetics?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
stay with factory recommendation. No need to change it. You will never see any benefit to change oil.
Maybe i said maybe 15 years from now if you still riding in your Evo.
Just keep changing the oil when its needed.

Pay attention more important stuff, which is actually WILL make a difference when you are driving. Example the break pads.

End of story.

Rob
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=SHIFTT IX MR;5906819]I continue to run RP 20w-50 in my EVO IX MR and have since its first oil change. I change the oil before 3,000 are up, and I use high quality Purolator (sp?) Pure One oil filters. I currently have 33,000 miles on this engine and not a single hiccup. I also run RP through the remainder of my car where applicable, i.e. rear diff, and tranny. [QUOTE]

Can I know you are using the normal engine oil or their racing oil?
Thks.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple