Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd stick with mobil1, I use the extended, it has the gold cap...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:23 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
There ya have it... Don't listen to anyone on the boards... Coming from an expert..

Oh wait... he is on the Boards too... Now what do we do ?? LOL... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But you speak as though 98K is a lot of miles. How about the 345,000 miles I have on a very abused work van where the oil changes have been from 25,000 to as high as 43,000 mile intervals ? Towing a large trailer, overheated several times due to a water pump and still runs.

84,000 on my 4x4, 63,000 on my other truck, 12,000 on the Lancer and 18,000 on my motorcycle. The only one that has less than a 10,000 mile change is the Lancer at 4000 to switch to 0W-30 from 0W-20 for a little experiment.

I use Oil Analysis from ISO Certified Labs to test my oils and to see what may be going on inside the engine.

Many people come to these Boards to seek out information and Vendors. I have several hundred customers from EVOm alone. I don't see any complaints coming from them and if there was a problem, it would be blasted all over these boards.

Doc
Wow, because your SN is Oil Doc, therefore you should know all about oils, right? And you have an ad for AMSOIL therefore we should used AMSOIL because your SN is Oil Doc and therefore you should know about Oils, right...????....???? and even tho 99.9% of all products in the good old U.S.A. is ISO Certified, UL Certified, D.O.T Certified, and you can get Certified for anything as long as you have money...but its all good cuz AMSOIL is ISO Certified because they're tested, even tho ISO Certified is nothing more then just paper work but we should used it cuz you used it and you're the Oil Doc right???..???

Last edited by redteam22003; Jul 30, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
So far I've read that Royal Purple shears out of grade quickly as well as Eneos. Seeing as both these oils are full synthetics, would it not be safe to assume that AMSOIL will also shear out of grade?

Is this a characteristic of synthetic oils or inferior synthetics?
That would be assuming all synthetics are alike and they are not. Some, use HydroIsomerized Base Stocks, some use PAO Base Stocks blended with the HydroIsomerized and petroleum, Some are Ester Based and what are considered to be the top oils will use a PAO w/Esters which is what AMSOIL Uses. Also, there are different grades of all the above Base Stocks including Petroleum. But, even at that... we need to look at overall performance.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
stay with factory recommendation. No need to change it. You will never see any benefit to change oil.
Maybe i said maybe 15 years from now if you still riding in your Evo.
Just keep changing the oil when its needed.

Well Rob, we will differ on this again. Maybe it is not something you can always see or feel, but it is something that you "Know" is happening because of the tests and real life applications we here about. Dyno Tests backed by ASTM Tests for example... They cannot be discounted.

It is great to have a good Dyno run. AMSOIL Performs excellent on a Dyno. Can it be made to perform better ? Sure.. But at a cost of the oils quality in other areas such as wear tests and shear stability.

I can sell you an additive that will lower oil temps and increase HP... Does this make it a good additive? NO. It uses solvents and degrades the oil very quickly.
ASTM Tests don't lie. Oil Analysis doesn't lie (when performed by a ISO Certified Lab) ....

Pay attention more important stuff, which is actually WILL make a difference when you are driving. Example the break pads.

End of story.Rob

I don't see how this is the "End of Story"

Oil is the Life Blood of your engine and Filters are the Kidney..

People say they have had no problems with RP and have ran it for 30 K or 90K.. The fact is that without Trend Analysis, they have no idea what is going on with their oil or their engine. Many trucking companies and Industrial Plants use Analysis to not only schedule fluid changes but to schedule maintenance and repairs before the equipment breaks down possibly with a catostrophic failure.

No Difference in our vehicles..... I just did several UOA's on my MotorCycle. We found that the K&N air filter was flowing Silicon (Dirt) as well as air. This also related to the high wear metals found.

The wear metals were Elevated but not Critical. Without the use of Oil Analysis though, One would not have a clue and keep going on with routine maintenance, effectively reducing the life of the engine.

Same with the oil itself. Analysis is where you see the Viscosity of the oil, contaminants, fuel dillution etc.

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
That would be assuming all synthetics are alike and they are not. Some, use HydroIsomerized Base Stocks, some use PAO Base Stocks blended with the HydroIsomerized and petroleum, Some are Ester Based and what are considered to be the top oils will use a PAO w/Esters which is what AMSOIL Uses. Also, there are different grades of all the above Base Stocks including Petroleum. But, even at that... we need to look at overall performance.

I don't see how this is the "End of Story"

Oil is the Life Blood of your engine and Filters are the Kidney..

People say they have had no problems with RP and have ran it for 30 K or 90K.. The fact is that without Trend Analysis, they have no idea what is going on with their oil or their engine. Many trucking companies and Industrial Plants use Analysis to not only schedule fluid changes but to schedule maintenance and repairs before the equipment breaks down possibly with a catostrophic failure.

No Difference in our vehicles..... I just did several UOA's on my MotorCycle. We found that the K&N air filter was flowing Silicon (Dirt) as well as air. This also related to the high wear metals found.

The wear metals were Elevated but not Critical. Without the use of Oil Analysis though, One would not have a clue and keep going on with routine maintenance, effectively reducing the life of the engine.

Same with the oil itself. Analysis is where you see the Viscosity of the oil, contaminants, fuel dillution etc.

Doc
well i'm racing over couple of years now, we never had an oil brand problem so far...
im stop debating on amsoil since you know it and im not an expert. I'm just stating what happing in my life.
For me the break pads made more difference then the brand of oil i'm using.
We tryed other then Mobil before, because they want it. Honestly i didn't feel any difference. it was just as dirty when it came out after the track day.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 30, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:15 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well i'm racing over couple of years now, we never had an oil brand problem so far...
im stop debating on amsoil since you know it and im not an expert. I'm just stating what happing in my life.
For me the break pads made more difference then the brand of oil i'm using.
We tryed other then Mobil before, because they want it. Honestly i didn't feel any difference. it was just as dirty when it came out after the track day.
Shut up man..he's the Oil Doc. His SN says "Oil Doc" so it doesnt matter what you know, his opinions is facts when it comes to oil cuz he IS the Oil Doc.

The Oil Doc said used AMSOIL, so I am using it, he cant be wrong...He isnt bias or anything. I mean check out his ad, NOT BIAS AT ALL!!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

i do.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redteam22003
Shut up man..he's the Oil Doc. His SN says "Oil Doc" so it doesnt matter what you know, his opinions is facts when it comes to oil cuz he IS the Oil Doc.

The Oil Doc said used AMSOIL, so I am using it, he cant be wrong...He isnt bias or anything. I mean check out his ad, NOT BIAS AT ALL!!
If and when I find a Better Product to sell, and a better company, I will sell that. So no, I am not biased... I just happen to sell the Finest Lubrication and Filtration on The Planet and am proud to do so.

I have been selling AMSOIL for over 24 yrs now and the neither the company or the products have ever failed me.

We have used it in everything fom String Trimmers, Lawn Mowers, Pulling Tractors, World of Outlaw, NASCAR, INDY, Desert Racing, Off Shore.. Etc...

I have yet to find a Product that is willing to go head to head with us in any legitimate Certified tests...

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DOC check your Pm's.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gonzo
DOC check your Pm's.

Working on those now... I am swamped... Shipped a lot of oil in the last 2 days. Thanks to all people here on EVOm....

Doc
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Eneos oil make about 7hp........ http://videos.streetfire.net/video/M...EVO_174564.htm. I still rather RP.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

why is it that everyone that sells amsoil says that amsoil in the best oil???????

I can't figure it out, sorry Oildoc not trying to hate. just you sell a product therefor you push that product. I know a few amsoil dealers here in VA and they all have the same info and say the same stuff you do.

I use RP in my evo with no problems yet"knock on wood"

I used amsoil and switched to RP and never looked back.......
Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTf...Use OEM specification oil and you track your car? That doesn't make much sense.. If you're beating on your car wouldn't you want a better oil that can take the beating?

I've had no problems with RP in my boosted cars. Big HP Supras have been running RP with no problem for years.

BUT...I am tempted to switch to AMS oil now...As that is one oil I haven't heard anything negative about.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by danielskshin
WTf...Use OEM specification oil and you track your car? That doesn't make much sense.. If you're beating on your car wouldn't you want a better oil that can take the beating?

I've had no problems with RP in my boosted cars. Big HP Supras have been running RP with no problem for years.

BUT...I am tempted to switch to AMS oil now...As that is one oil I haven't heard anything negative about.
use the factory recommended oil brand not the type...
see there is a difference. But for me wont really matter which brand you use , as long as a good brand name. It is really matters which type.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

If and when I find a Better Product to sell, and a better company, I will sell that. So no, I am not biased... I just happen to sell the Finest Lubrication and Filtration on The Planet and am proud to do so.

I have been selling AMSOIL for over 24 yrs now and the neither the company or the products have ever failed me.

We have used it in everything fom String Trimmers, Lawn Mowers, Pulling Tractors, World of Outlaw, NASCAR, INDY, Desert Racing, Off Shore.. Etc...

I have yet to find a Product that is willing to go head to head with us in any legitimate Certified tests...

Doc
Wow end of story there^^^

Look I know you have a belief system going on and its all good. Its kinda hard telling people that Jesus isnt real if thats all they can think about

I've 13 cars and used every name brand of oils you can think of.
82 Corolla carb with 600k+ miles using Pennzoil 10-w40
91 Accord with 200k+ miles using Valvoline 10-w30 and on turbo cars. i have a 91 mr2 on Valvoline, RX7 on RP, evo on mobile and also quaker state of a few cars and trucks. I even used Cost co oil on my mirage...

of the brands, guess what I found out....NOT ONE BRAND HAD FAILED ME, but who the **** cares what I say or anyone else right, because it all base on legitimate certified testing and only amsoil dose that...

BTW Just also wanted to add, that I have 2 AMGs with over 500hp, one using Valvoline and the other using RP.

Last edited by Kurt; Aug 4, 2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: dodging the swear filter.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joehoo
why is it that everyone that sells amsoil says that amsoil in the best oil???????

I can't figure it out, sorry Oildoc not trying to hate. just you sell a product therefor you push that product. I know a few amsoil dealers here in VA and they all have the same info and say the same stuff you do.

I use RP in my evo with no problems yet"knock on wood"

I used amsoil and switched to RP and never looked back.......
Well, you don't know enough about me to make that statement, now do you ?

I have used and sold AMSOIL for over 24 years now, It is my livelyhood.

I have spent countless thousands of dollars to gain the knowledge I have about oils and I have barely scratched the surface.

I don't say the things I do about AMSOIL to sell it. I sell AMSOIL because I CAN say those things.

Somebody has to be on top, why not The First Synthetic, AMSOIL ? AMSOIL names Names when they do their testing or have it done, They don't hide the competition behind a rag or say "Other leading Synthetic"

You switched to RP and I am sure with all the UOA's you have performed on both AMSOIL and RP along with back to back Dyno runs to support your findings. I'd be happy to pay the postage for you to send those copies to me.

The Dealers you know say those things because they are FACT...

Doc

Quick Reply: Royal Purple