Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Exo X MR occassional shift rattle-anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X MR occassional shift rattle-anyone else?

My MR, only sometimes, when down shifting in normal mode by itself (not manual), if I stop rather quickly, but then let off the brake a little, at times makes a little clunk noise I can feel under the car. Today it felt the strongest, again only once, but it felt like someone actually bumped me in the back!
Anyone else?
Thanks

Last edited by navidf; Jul 18, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it might be your brakes your not letting them out completly
Old Jul 18, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by navidf
My MR, only sometimes, when down shifting in normal mode by itself (not manual), if I stop rather quickly, but then let off the brake a little, at times makes a little clunk noise I can feel under the car. Today it felt the strongest, again only once, but it felt like someone actually bumped me in the back!
Anyone else?
Thanks

I'd guess that its just your drive train "relaxing" as you go from load to no load quickly.

*I dont own, or have driven an X MR*
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

rear differential? total guess as i know next to nothing about the X...

but VIII/IX do the same thing when in 1st/2nd gear, driving slowly, when you are coming to a stop... the rear differential will "clunk." and it's clearly audible/noticeable.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:09 PM
Account Disabled

I get this all the time especially when going about 35mph, then slowing down for a speed bump, if feels like engine rocking from the VIII's and IX's but only this time it's underneath me and the clicking and locking is quite loud.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
I get this all the time especially when going about 35mph, then slowing down for a speed bump, if feels like engine rocking from the VIII's and IX's but only this time it's underneath me and the clicking and locking is quite loud.
That's exactly it!
It is rather annoying. Anything can be done about it?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

"If" anything could be done it would have to come out as a reflash since Mitsubishi won't allow us techs to disassemble the MR transmission. If there is a problem internally, the whole unit must be replaced.

It sounds to me as if the transmission is pre-selecting the next gear in preparation for the next shift.

Here is a excerpt from a TSB about the TC-SST

TSB-08-22-002 "CHARACTERISTICS OF W6DGA, TWIN CLUTCH
-SPORTRONIC SHIFT TRANSMISSION (TC-SST)"

Transmission Gear Noise - As mentioned, 2 gears are always engaged at the same time. This
means that the transfer gear is in contact with 2 gears and turning 2 shafts within the transmission.
This multiple gear selection creates additional noise heard from the transmission when driving. Because
gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a certain amount of N gear rattle.

I hope this answers some questions.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:51 PM

Today it felt the strongest, again only once, but it felt like someone actually bumped me in the back!
I had this 2 days ago with my MR - the light was green so I let go my gas pedal as I was entering a pretty wide left turn. After exiting the corner, I gently pressed on the gas and after 2-3 seconds I heard this very loud clunk sound and the "shock" was quite brutal as I thought someone rear-ended me or something. That scared the crap outta me
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mitsutech56
"If" anything could be done it would have to come out as a reflash since Mitsubishi won't allow us techs to disassemble the MR transmission. If there is a problem internally, the whole unit must be replaced.

It sounds to me as if the transmission is pre-selecting the next gear in preparation for the next shift.

Here is a excerpt from a TSB about the TC-SST

TSB-08-22-002 "CHARACTERISTICS OF W6DGA, TWIN CLUTCH
-SPORTRONIC SHIFT TRANSMISSION (TC-SST)"

Transmission Gear Noise - As mentioned, 2 gears are always engaged at the same time. This
means that the transfer gear is in contact with 2 gears and turning 2 shafts within the transmission.
This multiple gear selection creates additional noise heard from the transmission when driving. Because
gears are always pre-engaged in N, there is a certain amount of N gear rattle.

I hope this answers some questions.
Mitsu Tech, what other sub-forums do u lurk around so if any more tech info is required people can count on your presence? Example, 09 ralliart sub forums?
Old Jul 19, 2008, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

At least it seems I am not alone in this. Since my post, the MR has been behaving well though
Old Jul 19, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

May be a small glitch in the gear selection maybe? Computer brain fart? Start beatin on it.. Maybe ur just not drivin it hard enough to be driven normally.. I mean I know it's new and all, but we all know what this tranny was built to do.. Be driven hard.. And with you guys takin it easy with gas prices and what other reasons, maybe it's still settling in?! Keep us informed..
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonasan50
May be a small glitch in the gear selection maybe? Computer brain fart? Start beatin on it.. Maybe ur just not drivin it hard enough to be driven normally.. I mean I know it's new and all, but we all know what this tranny was built to do.. Be driven hard.. And with you guys takin it easy with gas prices and what other reasons, maybe it's still settling in?! Keep us informed..
I've gotten this clunk & kick right after a few times... I just ignore it. It usually happens when I slow down rapidly (like when the car in front of me turns on a side road) & stomp on the gas soon after. It doesn't sound or feel like the car is in any distress, so I don't really worry about it
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by kidneythief13
I've gotten this clunk & kick right after a few times... I just ignore it. It usually happens when I slow down rapidly (like when the car in front of me turns on a side road) & stomp on the gas soon after. It doesn't sound or feel like the car is in any distress, so I don't really worry about it
Was the clunk sound loud? If you can barely hear it since MR is quiet(er) and you feel the kick slightly I think that's just the way the gear box works (plus turbo kicking in).

What I had that one time, it was very loud even from inside and the kick was very noticeable, which the OP was describing as "it felt like someone actually bumped me in the back!".

Anyway, like OP said, this has happened once to me and everything is doing fine since then. I hope this is just an one time thing!
Old Jul 19, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^It was decently loud, but I'll pay attention more when it happens again
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

yep, it was loud enough not to be a normal gear change. I do believe, though, when driven with a bit of zeal, this does not happen. When I am a little undecisive, it seems to pop up more.

Quick Reply: Exo X MR occassional shift rattle-anyone else?