Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X MR Road and Track 4-Track Free-For-All

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
EVO X MR Road and Track 4-Track Free-For-All

The Lancer Evolution X MR is compared with 9 other cars for their track capabilities. Not really a "fair" test if you look at the list of cars but an interesting comparison nonetheless.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6939
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although considering it was not fair comparison but I would have thought on that small course it could have helds it own somewhat. Atleast it beat the Exige overall which is somewhat suprising.

Last edited by dbsears; Jul 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the link. Very interesting results. I think the MR did pretty good considering the competition and price range. With more HP, I think the MR would have done better-maybe beating the BMW. I skipped to the end of the article to see where it finished. hmmm
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by NoJoy
Thanks for the link. Very interesting results. I think the MR did pretty good considering the competition and price range. With more HP, I think the MR would have done better-maybe beating the BMW. I skipped to the end of the article to see where it finished. hmmm
I think so too. Which makes me somewhat disappointed in the M3.. That car is so gorgeous and I love the v8... It's a shame about the weight.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

I know Mitsubishi wants to demo the top of the line MR, but I have to wonder how a no-option GSR would have scored in this comparison. It would have had a bit better power to weight advantage and the body roll issue would have been lessened with the stiffer setup on the GSRs.

Not surprising that the 4 cylinder cars came up on the bottom of the list, but an extra 75 hp will make the EVO right.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MR's have always shown to be faster even with the "softer" suspension. There is more to the suspension that being stiff. The superior Bilsteins and the Eibach springs will improve handling. Been this way since 05 (except for not having Eibachs).

I don't think a GSR in this test would have mattered. It was very close to the Lotus and that was its only competition. About the only thing the GSR does better is in a strait line. 1-2 tenths wouldn't have mattered.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

Evo X MR sure looked good at the track
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoJoy
Agree. Haha. GTR is still the beast among those IMO.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
it is a great thing the exige S 240, finished under the evo.
all the cars in this test, have a huge power difference between factory vs factory compare to the evo. I can't express more the evo is sucks as a factory performance car. Including down all the way to 1.
/The TME is a factory tuned edition, kinda like an AMG evo. /

when i saw the list of the cars i said myself, what the evo wants here. But surprisingly they placed it above the Exige 240 S.
Which is a big accomplishment , since just need to check out the weight vs hp ratio on that. Plus the Lotus have an excellent handling too.
Not to mention being the only 4 door sedan with the 4 cylinder engine...
I'm sure this test made a big fire ball on the Lotus forum

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 23, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:03 AM

I was a little surprised they didn't throw the STi in the mix. Plus I would have liked to see how all the cars would perform on a dirt track, where the Evo could have finished closer to the top in that catagory.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't know. i feel like the oem tires suck for dirt...
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
I don't know. i feel like the oem tires suck for dirt...
I don't know how many "performance" cars you've driven in your lifetime but that is a pretty bold statement. The OEM equipped Yokos are one of the best tires put on factory cars, period. Are you comparing the performance of the OEM tires w/ R-compound race slicks? If so, yes they do "suck for dirt". But for streetable tires they are very very good.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting article... The mere fact that Evo was to be in that group of cars tells something IMO. But, how many of us or evo owners buy the car to drive it as a stock w/o modding it, especially the track ******... For the sake of price difference, the test would have been more interesting for us if the evo had simple bolt-on power upgrades and coilovers. The result would have been more surprising!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
How are the stock tires on the X, as compared to say the sport cups? Mitsu needs to abandon this 300 hp BS and make one from the factory with 400. It seems like it would be easy, based on the results people are getting with the 4b11.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 12:34 PM

i have to agree with ROK EVO that its a pretty amazing feat that the x was included in this competition. They could have just as easily added in a 335i or 135i but they chose the evo and i believe there are probably subtle reasons why it was chosen. But as many others have stated throw an x in with a few mods and really see how it would have held up .