Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is Gravel Mode Faster Than Tarmac Mode??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by o-townFLA
what suspension are you runnin on? Sick times by the way, I was runnin in the "blue" group in the Silver IX #407...
KW Robispec.

There are lot of contradictory information in here. I'm not sure how ACD Mode works, but it felt like there is a slight reduction in throttle response when I changed it to Gravel mode from Tarmac mode.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ight=ACD+works

Very informative thread .. it's the same working principle as the X .. except X adds stability control ..

Most of the information can be found on the Mitsubishi website .. this guy compiled it
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
WRONG ACD split is ALWAYS 50/50.
Wait a sec here... From the beginning of time, with the competition between the Subaru and EVO, they have always been identical in perfomance, per se.. But the difference in the drivetrain from the EVO compared to the STI, has been the center diffs.. This is from what I've read going back many years now.. The STI can bias power more to the rear wheels, whereas the EVO does the same towards the front.. I'm no computer guru, but if someone can look it up, you will find how all the mags in the past have gone over this many many times.. I wouldn't just type things for the hell of it.. Maybe is the Jap spec EVO's? I dunno.. Just writing what I've read about..

Last edited by Jonasan50; Jul 30, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
There's a lot of fail in this thread.

OP, great pics. Sounds like you had a blast out there. Can't wait to get my Evo out on a track.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:55 PM

http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...etail1657.html

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...73183&mime=ASC

These links may help. Links were found through wiki =P
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:26 PM

actually:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...26132&mime=ASC

This link has the answer: "ASC is programmed to allow performance driving and can be turned off for track driving; turning off ASC does not compromise operation of the car's ACD or AYC differentials. Of special note to track racers, however, holding down the "ASC off" button for three seconds will also disengage the AYC brake-control function."

Read the rest of the article for info on how the ASC works.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
very good, thanks for the info!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hgby
actually:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...26132&mime=ASC

This link has the answer: "ASC is programmed to allow performance driving and can be turned off for track driving; turning off ASC does not compromise operation of the car's ACD or AYC differentials. Of special note to track racers, however, holding down the "ASC off" button for three seconds will also disengage the AYC brake-control function."

Read the rest of the article for info on how the ASC works.
This is exactly what I meant to say. But just to clarify, it disengage the AYC brake-control function, but AYC rear differential function is still active.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from what i understand, the new ACD in the X actually splits torque front to rear up to an 80% bias in either direction, as opposed to the previous generation which was either locked (50/50) or open. the tarmac/gravel/snow setting makes the car behave (through a complex algorithm) progressively less tail-happy, in that order. someone please correct me in i'm wrong. i would imagine you could tailor your performance on a tarmac surface using these settings, as the OP did, according to how slippy it is. in other words, if the tarmac is acting as slippy as gravel, then the gravel setting seems appropriate. if it's raining and sliding all over the place even in gravel mode, you might want to move it to snow. what an amazing car the X is!
EDIT: after some research, the ACD on the X indeed acts exactly as it did in previous generations, in that it is either locked 50/50 or open. sorry for the misinformation. that's what i get for believing the interwebs...

Last edited by machron1; Aug 1, 2008 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I also don't know why you would ever want to turn the ASC all the way off, as i believe you lose an integral part of the yaw inducing system. in other words, with the asc halfway off, the system might be grabbing the inside-front brake rotor while at the same time sending extra power to the outside rear wheel, for the most effective yaw rate induction possible. why you would want to cripple the system by not allowing the brakes to be grabbed independently for the sole purpose of yaw rate induction is beyond me. it's not as if there are 4 brake pedals and a good driver can reproduce the effect. i have a feeling most of the track tests that report understeer were because of the driver mistakenly disabling the good part of the ASC (brake assist) along with the bad part (engine power robbing). i know lots of track junkies will probably dispute this, but i have a feeling their lap times would tell a different story if they would give it a chance. with limited exposure to driving the x, the slip angle it maintains in tarmac mode with the asc halfway off is just about perfect. i doubt any more slip angle could possibly be needed other than in a drifting event or a tight e-brake u-turn on a rally stage. with the asc halfway off, it doesn't appear to apply the brakes in an effort to slow the vehicle, only to induce yaw according to the steering angle, which IMHO is a delightful benefit, and in no way a drawback.
EDIT: apparently real-world experience has proven my theories wrong about the ASC, and turning it completely off is getting better times on-track for some strange reason. i still don't see why, but facts are facts...

Last edited by machron1; Aug 1, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
Account Disabled

My sig says it all about ASC.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by machron1
I also don't know why you would ever want to turn the ASC all the way off, as i believe you lose an integral part of the yaw inducing system. in other words, with the asc halfway off, the system might be grabbing the inside-front brake rotor while at the same time sending extra power to the outside rear wheel, for the most effective yaw rate induction possible. why you would want to cripple the system by not allowing the brakes to be grabbed independently for the sole purpose of yaw rate induction is beyond me. it's not as if there are 4 brake pedals and a good driver can reproduce the effect. i have a feeling most of the track tests that report understeer were because of the driver mistakenly disabling the good part of the ASC (brake assist) along with the bad part (engine power robbing). i know lots of track junkies will probably dispute this, but i have a feeling their lap times would tell a different story if they would give it a chance. with limited exposure to driving the x, the slip angle it maintains in tarmac mode with the asc halfway off is just about perfect. i doubt any more slip angle could possibly be needed other than in a drifting event or a tight e-brake u-turn on a rally stage. with the asc halfway off, it doesn't appear to apply the brakes in an effort to slow the vehicle, only to induce yaw according to the steering angle, which IMHO is a delightful benefit, and in no way a drawback.

Go do an autocross with it on, 1/2 off and full off and tell me what feels better.

I'm not gonna wait, since I've gone it. Full off feels the best. 1/2 off feels the best for the street.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
My sig says it all about ASC.

ASC != AYC
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I also thought ASC half off, would be faster on track, but it's not true. Everything off is much faster. Plus, Robi @Robispec setup my car loose so that it's easier to kick the rear out to change directions quickly, like a rear wheel drive car.

Fastest way out of the corner on my car is to to induce a slight oversteer, floor it right before the apex, and counter using steering and throttle. Obviously, this feels like the car is sliding a little bit, but I was able to drop a full second using this technique.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

WOW a full second. that's actually huge. appears i'm wrong given my limited experience as stated. i had already considered auto-x might lend itself to asc full off given its low-speed, yank and bank nature. but gaining a full second on a road course with it off is nuts! i do believe you, i just can't wrap my head around the reasons behind it. i wonder how it's possible? why on a road course do slip angles greater than those allowed with asc half-off produce better times? normally the fastest road course work is smooth, tidy, and free of huge tail-out action except maybe in the tight hairpins.
from what I've felt, the slip angle the asc allows is ample, and greater than i normally would induce on the track. of course I've never tracked an x, but i have lots of track time in my VIII. also, for the OP, did you try the tarmac, snow, and gravel settings out?

Quick Reply: Is Gravel Mode Faster Than Tarmac Mode??