Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Evo X MR
80.28%
Lancer Ralliart Sedan
13.03%
Lancer Ralliart Sportback
6.69%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Evo X MR or Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008 | 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
" Looking at this thread, it's apparent that Evo owners feel threatened by this."

You are completely miss under stood that. I'm insulted. Why? Because they questioned our value over they.... Which is insulting at least.
Threatened... Are you serious?
about the RA straigh line performance , first of all it is looks like limited around 350 wtq and whp. And missing the racing mode from they tranny. So how far you can go with that?
Just a cat back and the drop in filter + tune i got dangerously close to that...
Good for you. The SST has yet to break, so how do you know the breaking point?
Old Oct 14, 2008 | 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

From what I remember the breaking point number is based off of what a Mitsubishi engineer said. You can also base it off of logic, why doesn't the 360 HP FQ-360 come with the SST-TC transmission?
Old Oct 14, 2008 | 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
Good for you. The SST has yet to break, so how do you know the breaking point?
How do YOU know, there where is the breaking point?

I go with the aprox. manufacturer limitation number. /they usually very accurate from Getrag/
Also even with stock power they over heat.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=374988

and the X has a race ready set up in they SS-T, which is missing from the RA. So just think about it.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 14, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
How do YOU know, there where is the breaking point?

I go with the aprox. manufacturer limitation number. /they usually very accurate from Getrag/
Also even with stock power they over heat.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=374988

and the X has a race ready set up in they SS-T, which is missing from the RA. So just think about it.
Race ready set up? From what i've gathered it just has S-sport which holds more RPM's. I dont believe the SST in the X has anymore cooling abilities then the RA, so i'm not sure what you're getting at?
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

First off, the Super Sport mode of the MR doesn't just use higher rev points but it also shifts faster. Second, this thread is getting old and played out so all I will say is this; the RA is a great car but it will never be an EVO. Even with mods, it's still missing many things that make the EVO what it is.

Can it be made to beat a stock X in a straight line? Sure, but it will still lose in all other categories and there's no getting around that. Either way, if you going to get an EVO, GSR FTW anyway. It's cheaper, faster, stiffer sprung, and it has a proper transmission so it really more accurately represents the EVO experience and what an EVO should be.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Race ready set up? From what i've gathered it just has S-sport which holds more RPM's. I dont believe the SST in the X has anymore cooling abilities then the RA, so i'm not sure what you're getting at?
yeah i can see that... Even when we try to fill you up with some wisdom...
You got to ask that even i send you a link to look at it. Well if you are the lazy i help you out here:
Quote from the MR SST owner manual:
"S-Sport
S-sport mode is DESIGNED to be USED while driving on CLOSED CIRCUIT TRACKs.
DO NOT use this mode ON PUBLIC ROADS. "

that is good enough proof for you about the race ready set up comments.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Why is this thread still going? You guys continue imply that because the 5th and 6th gears are taller, and that S-Sport mode is removed, that the fundamental construction of the RA SST is different from the MR and continually imply that it can't handle the same amount of power. The fact is there isn't a single shred of proven evidence to support this assumption. You should let this thread die already.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mors
Why is this thread still going? You guys continue imply that because the 5th and 6th gears are taller, and that S-Sport mode is removed, that the fundamental construction of the RA SST is different from the MR and continually imply that it can't handle the same amount of power. The fact is there isn't a single shred of proven evidence to support this assumption. You should let this thread die already.
yeah , it is easier then admit you had an opinion , which might doesn't stand well in the real life.

There is no written proof also the RA SS-T is as strong as the MR. Fact

That is a fact also; have logic behind this: designed and developed to hold less tq and hp.
Also logic behind this one too. not designed for racing purposes, because it is lacking the S-SPORT mode + has a longer gearing even then, when the tq and the hp is less.
sounds logic? i think so.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Something else to consider, the MR transmission isn't exactly bulletproof anyways.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Get the Lancer Ralliart Sedan ! EVO X FTL!
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Evo X MR!
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

OMG why is this thread still alive?
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Because it is?
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Something else to consider, the MR transmission isn't exactly bulletproof anyways.
Neither is the GSR's.
Old Oct 15, 2008 | 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Neither is the GSR's.
You need to do more research buddy. Let me give you a quick background on the EVO X's 5 speed. On the EVO 9, the 5 speed was very strong while the 6 speed was a little weak when it came to handling big power. Why? Simple. The evo 9 MR's transmission case was a little longer than the 5 speed's case was, but not enough to fit 6 gears in and maintain thick gear faces. So what did they do?

They thinned out the gear faces to make them all fit, mainly 4th through 6th. This made the 6 speed more prone to failures than the 5 speed. In the case of the X, mitsu decided to use the MR's 6 speed case and retain 5 gears. They did this because they could use the extra space to install even thicker gear faces then the previous, and already strong, 5 speed. So, if the 9's 5 speed was strong enough to handle 1000 hp as proven by AMS, Buschur, and many others, and if the X's tranny is even stronger, then I'd say it's pretty bulletproof.

The MR's tranny is rated to handle 350 lb ft of torque according to Getrag, the company that makes it, and already has overheating issues even in stock form after a couple of laps at the track. Not only that, but Mitsubishi UK even said that when designing the FQ360 that they didn't feel based on the design and specs of the TC SST that it could handle the increased power so they went with the 5 speed as their base.

Dr EVO, as they call him in Japan, is the man who is responsible for the design of the EVOs since it's first inception back in the early 90s, and in an interview about the new X this is wht he had to say. He said that the MR is for people who want an EVO but want a bit more refinement and luxury as well as a high tech alternative to a traditional manual. The GSR is meant for the sports car purist who wants a more raw, traditional EVO with a true manual and a stiff suspension setup.

He also commented that for the aftermarket industry that the GSR was the more suitable option. Every single magazine that has compared the two has said the same thing. Every tuning company has confirmed this as well. Anyone familiar with transmission design will tell you the same. Are the experts wrong, or are you? Stop trying to convince yourself that the RA is only a few mods away from an EVO; it's not. The RA is a good car, but as EVERY SINGLE MAGAZINE THAT HAS TESTED IT HAS SAID, "It's more of a hopped up lancer than a detuned EVO." It is what it is.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Oct 15, 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR or Ralliart