Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
Evo X MR
80.28%
Lancer Ralliart Sedan
13.03%
Lancer Ralliart Sportback
6.69%
Voters: 284. You may not vote on this poll

Evo X MR or Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The 5-speed transmission is good for a lot of power, there are people who launch it all the damn time without issue. The problem for the 5-speed guys is the transfer case.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, but that can be upgraded and built to handle the abuse. The MR's tranny on the other hand, is a sealed unit that is not serviceable. Mitsu even says that if there's an issue that the entire unit needs to be replaced. I'm sure that some companies will take the thing apart in spite of this and put in some heavier duty clutches but even then with the unit having overheating issues even in stock form that's gonna be risky. Maybe a better fluid cooler can be afixed to it to alleviate this, but even if all of this is possible, it's going to be extremely expensive compared to upgrading the 5 speed. Wet clutch systems like the MR's are just a different beast when it comes to modification...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Something else to consider, the MR transmission isn't exactly bulletproof anyways.
Until we see proof of multiple TC-SST's grenading like the GTR's I would say that's not true. There are some bugs but most of it is software related.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
You need to do more research buddy. Let me give you a quick background on the EVO X's 5 speed. On the EVO 9, the 5 speed was very strong while the 6 speed was a little weak when it came to handling big power. Why? Simple. The evo 9 MR's transmission case was a little longer than the 5 speed's case was, but not enough to fit 6 gears in and maintain thick gear faces. So what did they do?

They thinned out the gear faces to make them all fit, mainly 4th through 6th. This made the 6 speed more prone to failures than the 5 speed. In the case of the X, mitsu decided to use the MR's 6 speed case and retain 5 gears. They did this because they could use the extra space to install even thicker gear faces then the previous, and already strong, 5 speed. So, if the 9's 5 speed was strong enough to handle 1000 hp as proven by AMS, Buschur, and many others, and if the X's tranny is even stronger, then I'd say it's pretty bulletproof.

The MR's tranny is rated to handle 350 lb ft of torque according to Getrag, the company that makes it, and already has overheating issues even in stock form after a couple of laps at the track. Not only that, but Mitsubishi UK even said that when designing the FQ360 that they didn't feel based on the design and specs of the TC SST that it could handle the increased power so they went with the 5 speed as their base.

Dr EVO, as they call him in Japan, is the man who is responsible for the design of the EVOs since it's first inception back in the early 90s, and in an interview about the new X this is wht he had to say. He said that the MR is for people who want an EVO but want a bit more refinement and luxury as well as a high tech alternative to a traditional manual. The GSR is meant for the sports car purist who wants a more raw, traditional EVO with a true manual and a stiff suspension setup.

He also commented that for the aftermarket industry that the GSR was the more suitable option. Every single magazine that has compared the two has said the same thing. Every tuning company has confirmed this as well. Anyone familiar with transmission design will tell you the same. Are the experts wrong, or are you? Stop trying to convince yourself that the RA is only a few mods away from an EVO; it's not. The RA is a good car, but as EVERY SINGLE MAGAZINE THAT HAS TESTED IT HAS SAID, "It's more of a hopped up lancer than a detuned EVO." It is what it is.
Not once have I said I wanted the RA to be an Evo. So please quit telling me that. All I'm trying to do is get some of you to accept the possiblity that the SST may be more capable then its published numbers. There are plenty of transmissions out there that have exceeded expectations and published numbers. The vibe I get from some of you is that the SST is a piece and once you hit a specific number it will break. Do you really think a transmission company will give you a number higher then expected only to have you break the dang thing? How many people have overheating problems? Could you count them on your own two hands? Does that necessarily mean everyone will encounter this same problem? The MR owners should be happy the RA came out. It gives a whole range of people a chance to play around with the SST.

Also I will agree with the magazines on the hopped up lancer part. A lot of the cost savings on this car were the brakes, wheels/tires, and suspension.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

True, but that can be upgraded and built to handle the abuse. The MR's tranny on the other hand, is a sealed unit that is not serviceable. Mitsu even says that if there's an issue that the entire unit needs to be replaced. I'm sure that some companies will take the thing apart in spite of this and put in some heavier duty clutches but even then with the unit having overheating issues even in stock form that's gonna be risky. Maybe a better fluid cooler can be afixed to it to alleviate this, but even if all of this is possible, it's going to be extremely expensive compared to upgrading the 5 speed. Wet clutch systems like the MR's are just a different beast when it comes to modification...
I don't know if it will be as simple as this. If they put in heavier clutches, they might need to retune the transmission as well since driving with a heavier/grabbier clutch is different than driving with a stock clutch.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Until we see proof of multiple TC-SST's grenading like the GTR's I would say that's not true. There are some bugs but most of it is software related.
Well you're welcome to launch the transmission at every light or run more power than the designer recommends but I guarantee you it will be a very expensive lesson. Considering the GTR is having issues, I don't think a car that costs half to a third of the cost will fair very well when abused.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
Not once have I said I wanted the RA to be an Evo. So please quit telling me that. All I'm trying to do is get some of you to accept the possiblity that the SST may be more capable then its published numbers. There are plenty of transmissions out there that have exceeded expectations and published numbers. The vibe I get from some of you is that the SST is a piece and once you hit a specific number it will break. Do you really think a transmission company will give you a number higher then expected only to have you break the dang thing? How many people have overheating problems? Could you count them on your own two hands? Does that necessarily mean everyone will encounter this same problem? The MR owners should be happy the RA came out. It gives a whole range of people a chance to play around with the SST.

Also I will agree with the magazines on the hopped up lancer part. A lot of the cost savings on this car were the brakes, wheels/tires, and suspension.
I don't think anyone here is saying that the SST is a piece, it's a good transmission for a stock car but not everyone here thinks it's wise to mod a car equipped with such an expensive unknown variable. When Mitsubishi itself does not put enough faith into it to equip the FQ-360 with it, it should certainly raise the alarm bells.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo

There were a lot more cost saving downgrades than that, but it's not important. Anyway, I certainly don't think that the TC SST is a POS, I think it's really cool actually. It's just not for me because I'm a stick guy. My biggest problem with the MR actually isn't the TC SST, it's the fact that the suspension is softer sprung and it compromises the handling of the car. The GSR records an average of .99 Gs whle the MR shows an average of .96 Gs and that's a pretty big difference.

The slalom tests and skidpad tests show noticeable losses in performance due to this. Mitsu did this because they wanted to target prospective BMW SMG and Audi DSG and knew that the GSR's stiff ride would be too much for those types of people but to me this deviates too much from what an evo should be. The GSR was a step in the right direction, with more mature styling and improved handling. The beefier chassis with a wider track is a major reason for the weight increase and that was done for performance so to me it's acceptable weight increase.

I'll trade a couple of tenths in the 1/4 mile for better handling. However, what mitsu did with the MR was a mistake to me, but that's just my opinion. It is also my opinion that Mitsu should've just done what they do overseas with the X; make one trim level: the GSR, and just have everything asan option. Leather, tc sst, the softer bilstein setup, te two piece rotors, bbs wheels... these are all options there.

This would do two things: first it would allow everyone to build their EVO exactly how they want it and second, it would prevent magazines from using the MR in comparison tests thinking it's the performance model of the EVO lineup when the GSR should be used instead. The magazines would choose an evo with the performance enhancing options and leave everything else out. This would help the X to more accurately represent itself as the phenominal performance car that it can be and not some underwhelming former shadow of itself like the MR portrays it to be.

I personally am ashamed of the MR and feel confident that if the GSR were used in that test that it never would've lost to that POS cobalt SS. Either way, mitsu needs to come out with a better tune for all Xs alike because even with the latest reflash this car still hesitates and misfires. This is nothing an ecutek tune can't fix and then some, but it would be nice if it came better tuned out of the factory. Rant over.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think anyone here is saying that the SST is a piece, it's a good transmission for a stock car but not everyone here thinks it's wise to mod a car equipped with such an expensive unknown variable. When Mitsubishi itself does not put enough faith into it to equip the FQ-360 with it, it should certainly raise the alarm bells.
FQ 400 to be manual also.

http://jalopnik.com/5064055/mitsubis...400-on-the-way
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

The 5-speed transmission is good for a lot of power, there are people who launch it all the damn time without issue. The problem for the 5-speed guys is the transfer case.
I don't know if it will be as simple as this. If they put in heavier clutches, they might need to retune the transmission as well since driving with a heavier/grabbier clutch is different than driving with a stock clutch.
I agree completely, which is why I said things like, "if it's even possible to do this" and, "these wet clutch systems are just a different beast when it comes to modding," meaning that they are tempermental, more prone to failure, and expensive.

Originally Posted by heavyD
Uh, it's hardware that's the limiting factor, not software. Wet clutch systems are prone to overheating, as has been seen by several owners after a couple of laps at the track already. Aside from that, they are sealed units that are not meant to be serviceable so upgrading them is going to be difficult, risky, and very expensive.

Well you're welcome to launch the transmission at every light or run more power than the designer recommends but I guarantee you it will be a very expensive lesson. Considering the GTR is having issues, I don't think a car that costs half to a third of the cost will fair very well when abused.
Agreed to a point, but these trannies are all pretty similar to each other. They just have a hard time handling big power which I think is why we're seeing issues with the GTR and not the EVO MR right now, but as far as quality is concerned I would say that Getrag makes a damn good tranny. The main issue that I see is that once they fix the hardware that's failing in the GTRs that people with MRs are going to equate that to how much power their TC SST will handle and it doesn't work that way.

The transmission unit in the GTR is much larger and uses much stronger clutches and everything else because it needs to to handle the power. The breaking point of the TC SST is going to be at much lower power levels if I had to predict. I think that above all else though the main issue is that even if the TC SST can handle say, 400 lb of torque max, the thing overheats after a couple of laps at stock power levels! And to whoever said that I probably couldn't count on one hand how many people it's actually happened to you're wrong.

If the owner's manual has a whole section on it then it can't be that uncommon. It's not really a big deal, as all you have to do is stop driving for a few minutes to let it cool down. It doesn't mean that your tranny is broken, but the ecu immediately cuts powerand all but forces you to pull over when it happens. At increased power levels there s going to be more heat running through that tranny and my prediction is that you guys are gonna be sitting on the side of the road "cooling down" more often then you'd like. Just a thought...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

One issue with the TC-SST is how it will handle higher power, I don't mean whether it will blow or not but how the ECU will react. In a normal stick, if you have a lot of power, you naturally change the way you drive and shift. However, what will the TC-SST do?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

IMO, if you have to ask others for their opinion, get the ralliart. You obviously have no intention of driving an Evo to it's capacity, or you wouldn't be considering the ralliart. IMO, the performance is 90% of the reason why you buy an Evo. If you don't care about it, why spend the money for it?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Who launches their car at every light? Remember the TC-SST suits a different mentality of buyer. Guys that are going to drag race their cars will buy the GSR. People that purchase the MR are going to do more autocross or maybe no track use whatsoever and just want a competent performing daily driver that has an automatic for traffic.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Wow, this thread has really blown up since I posted it! I finally got a chance to ready through everybody's responses and I'm pleased to see the kind of detailed responses I've grown accustomed to on these forums.

Here's the nitty gritty and why I think the question, "RA or MR" strikes a chord with so many people. People want the RA and MR to hold more power, because guess what, the almighty Nissan GT-R can. Yes, I have high hopes that the GT-R can't be the only manumatic on the block that can run amazing times and pull off some crazy specs. Why can't the Evo's TC-SST do the same? Rhetorical question. If not I wish it was designed to be able to. I personally wish this was the case.

The reason I started this read was to delve into the particulars of asking oneself, "Why would I buy an MR for the SST when an RA comes with the same tranny for $10k cheaper?"I just like to embrace the newer technologies. So where does that leave us currently with single/dual clutch technology? There's only 4 that I can cite: the two above as well as BMW's SMG and VW's DSG. I'm highly considering an E46 M3 as my next car so I can still have that luxury sports car feel, but yet still be comfortable running errands knowing that my rear seats can fold down. Eh, it's all relative.

Last edited by silex; Dec 4, 2008 at 04:11 PM.