Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Talked to a japanese tech made questions on the evo x....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talked to a japanese tech made questions on the evo x....

i made a zillion questions to this guy he is a person whom works directly in the production for evos
i told him i sold my evo 8 to get a 10 i told him i wanted the mr model and asked him about the new gearbox?
he told me that out of every 100 evos with that gearbox one has a problem with reverse, the problem is that when putting the car in reverse it doesnt engage inmediatly so in japan several evos when left on an incline have crashed so you must no that it takes a while for the gearbox to engage reverse but it only happens to 1 out of 100evos
also the gearbox doesnt have a repair service if it fails you need to change it out the whole unit
also he said that if i wanted to mod the car the gsr would take more modding then the mr cause of the gearbox.
he told me to wait a year before buying the car cause here in my country my dealer limits my warranty but if i would live in the states he told me to buy it anyways cause they would give me the warranty if anything happend
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you're in Canada right? This is all good to know and we appreciate it, but nothing really new. That reverse thing is interesting to note. 1% QA is not terribly part for a new part.

Last edited by silex; Aug 3, 2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nop iam in Honduras Central America
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:52 PM

meh, doesn't sound like Mitsubishi is standing behind that tranmission very well.. when they basically toss the entire unit for a new one if there are any problems..
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

or maybe the new unit is something they want to look at if it fails, so its just easier to put an entire new unit into it so they can see why it failed w/o having to rely on outside techs telling them
Old Aug 3, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
if i'm right the transmission manufacturer dont let the Mitsubishi take care of the problem.
So they require to send the whole unit to them for repair. That is why you got a whole new transmission when it fails.
Also if some reason they will deny your warranty ,that is why will be a lots of money to fix it. Since nobody will take it apart or will have a part to fix it.
Also i'm wondering when those fixed transmission will come back to mitsubishi, they will install them into the new car?
Because you got already a new one right?
SO Mitsubishi wont loose money on them.
Just a theory...
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:42 AM

This is why I am waiting to see some high HP MR's before making my choice.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
if i'm right the transmission manufacturer dont let the Mitsubishi take care of the problem.
So they require to send the whole unit to them for repair. That is why you got a whole new transmission when it fails.
Also if some reason they will deny your warranty ,that is why will be a lots of money to fix it. Since nobody will take it apart or will have a part to fix it.
Also i'm wondering when those fixed transmission will come back to mitsubishi, they will install them into the new car?
Because you got already a new one right?
SO Mitsubishi wont loose money on them.
Just a theory...
I don't know man... This sounds like insanity to me. Maybe they replace rather than fix because its such a new transmission and their techs around the globe aren't fully trained to fix it yet.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AARC51
I don't know man... This sounds like insanity to me. Maybe they replace rather than fix because its such a new transmission and their techs around the globe aren't fully trained to fix it yet.
This. Also, Robevo, they couldn't just stick a fixed one in a new car. You can't sell a car as new if you put used parts in it, reconditioned or not.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by hibby
This. Also, Robevo, they couldn't just stick a fixed one in a new car. You can't sell a car as new if you put used parts in it, reconditioned or not.
Why not? As long as they are willing to provide you with the full warranty of a new car, its perfectly fine.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:21 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

If a part on a vehicle fails and that part is supplied by a company other than the vehicle's manufacture, the parts supplier is required to replace the failed part and pay for the labor of the replacement. This is usually written in the contracts between the vehicle manufacture & parts supplier.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:57 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

Replacing rather than fixing does not insinuate a bad part. The breakdown and repair of such a complicated transmission might end up costing a lot more than just replacing the unit as a whole. Look at the dsg system used by vw Audi and bugatti. They don't repair them, they just replace them. And most of the auto world agrees that the dsg is so far the best dual clutch system out right now.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lovecolt
Why not? As long as they are willing to provide you with the full warranty of a new car, its perfectly fine.
I don't think that's the way it works.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have posted before that my MR reverse does not engage immediately! The dealer says Mitsubishi says that is normal! Is this guy saying R does not engage at all or not immediately?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

So your going to take this guys comments as complete truth? 1 out of 100? Even with Mitsus awful track record, a failure rate that awful would not be acceptable or allowed.

Lets see what happens in a year after a few MRs have been running for a while in the US. I believe written statistics backed up with data, comments made about other peoples comments is nothing but hearsay...

Quick Reply: Talked to a japanese tech made questions on the evo x....