Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Trackday @calspeedway 07/26 & 27th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jooyoung99
FYI... My car weights 3800 lbs with me inside with full tank of fuel(that was the weight when Robi corner balanced it). I wish it was 3400 lbs. And Mines has already cracked the ECU and tuned a GTR.

I don't think comparing stock GTR to AMS EVO X is a good comparison. Seriously, how many of us has the time and resources to build our EVO X to a level a multi-million dollar shop can. Maybe Mines' GTR vs. AMS EVO X....

Even at this stage, my car spends more time at a shop getting something fixed than sitting in my garage.

And the whole myth about not being able modify the GTR is BS. If you don't care about warranty, which I don't, you can easily modify the GTR.

As I said before, I was embellishing my point of view when I stated that no EVO X can beat the GTR.
Robi Fuller after installing K&W suspension kit got 3456lbs on my bone stock X with 1/4 tank of fuel. Ripped out OEM exhaust and replaced with AMS Cat back single pipe and lost ~40lbs so weighs ~3400lbs w/o passenger. Adding 3/4 tank of fuel should add 69.5-78.0lbs to my car which then would weigh 3485.5-3494.0lbs. So taking the higher figure and subtracting from your X's weight with you in it (3800lbs) means you weigh 306lbs. Is this correct or just manufacturing variation in production weight?

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Aug 7, 2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
my car weights with Artisian exhaust, gram lights/18X 9.5/, KW V3 coilovers
no rear seat and empty trunk , but full gas of tank, no driver or passenger
3352 lbs

I had everything else is stock, cd's floor mats etc still in the car.
So if i put my sparcos in, and small battery the car will be under 3300lbs easy.
And not even start gutting yet.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 7, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

wow 3,352 lbs? I wonder why my car weight so much more than yours.

Car weights about 3500 lbs with about half of thank fo gas:

I weight around 200 lbs with helmet and racing suit.

We did measure it again, and it was 3768 lbs or something close. I can't find the picture. And my slicks and wheels weights a little bit more than stock.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Kperez,

I think there is some confusion here. I did back down from stating that no EVO X can beat a stock GTR. But I'm still firm that no EVO X can beat "MY GTR" (and I'm half joking ), and I don't think I gave any impression that I was going to leave it stock, or did I?

Here is the post from before:

I was just embellishing my point when I said "GTR
is going to be the fastest car any track any day." I really meant to say "My GTR is going to be the fastest car at any track any day." HAHAHA. People who know me and seen me at track events can vouch for my credibility.
You said you dream about beating lot more expensive cars with your EVO X. While you were dreaming, I actually did go out and kick some serious a$$ of cars that costs 2~4 times more than the my EVO X.

By no means, I'm a professional racer, but I spend lot of time and money to participate in POC Spec Boxter Cup, and even instruct in some local track events. Steve Millen drove his 650 HP Ford GT and lapped mid 1:14s, and I drove my 348 WHP EVO X, and lapped high 1:15s. So when I compare Steve's time of 1:55 at Button Willow with my time, I don't think it's that ludicrous.

It seems like just because you read some car magazines and watch Top Gear, you now have all the answers!! I bet you haven't even set a foot at a track, and you wouldn't know what understeer feels like if it hit you in your head, let alone how to correct it. You go on and keep on dreaming. What a lame joke!!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

cant we all just get along, JK, tear each others heads off, or better yet race when a) one has the stock gtr and b) the other has their x modded very niiiiiiice
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
wow 3,352 lbs? I wonder why my car weight so much more than yours.

Car weights about 3500 lbs with about half of thank fo gas:

I weight around 200 lbs with helmet and racing suit.

We did measure it again, and it was 3768 lbs or something close. I can't find the picture. And my slicks and wheels weights a little bit more than stock.
i dont know, they corner balanced and measured my car in the Eurotires facility on RT 46 in NJ.
Which is does alignments and tunes /suspension/ for GT porsches, fully build GT race cars etc.

So they are on spot with weight etc. The place is awesome not to mention the knowledge and cars you see there.
With me in the car weights /helmet etc/ 3541lbs. and everything i mentioned before.

fr 2089 lbs rear 1452 lbs when i'm in. so the weight distrubotion is 59% front 41% rear

that is all i can tell you.
Plus this winter i will put my Sparcos in , small battery, some wight reduction, like rear crash beam and so. so like a moderate gutting, speakers stereo . The goal is to go close as i can be to the 3200lb .
we will see. If you need infos and pictures i will not forget you and will pm you those.
Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 7, 2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well now that the dust has settled, I don't think that it was ever a question that a Modded GTR for 80K+Mods and larger engine/turbo would ever have a problem beating an Evo X with 40k+Mods when budget isn't a concern.

Given an unlimited budget and unlimited mods the GTR has more potential to beat any Evo X out there, just the way it is since the platform starts at a higher level of performance. Now back to reality since 80%+ of the people reading these forums have a budget for car expenditures. Even as the OP pointed out, he was beating cars 2-4 times the cost of the Evo X with bolt ons and some track prep. For an entry level super car the Evo X is one of the best deals you can get your hands on, if money is not a limiting factor then the GTR "should" on paper be even better but there are some limitations modding them at this current time.

I guess what set people off was the "My GTR will beat any Evo X no matter what" but yeah that is what bench racing is all about. Now it's time for some results and we will see how the AMS moddified Evo X does versus a hopefully slightly modified GTR.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

EVO X is a great value. I think I spent just over $10K, and it's performing like a $120K Porche GT3.

GTR also is a great value. Look what it can destroy in complete stock form. With additional $40K~$50 investment, it would destroy $million cars at the track.

I bought the EVO X, because I knew it was going to be an awecome car to take it to the track. And it's definitely one of the faster cars out there, but it's not the fastest. I think with little tender love and care (more $$$), GTR can be the fastest car out at a track event.

As my favorite driver Ricky Bobby said: "If you ain't first, you're LAST." Cheers
Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Good News!!

Cal Speedway will have their Infield Track available on 12th. Looks like someone cancelled. It costs approximately $6K to rent the track for the day.

I'm considering renting the track for the day if we have at least 20 drivers ($300). I'm not trying to make a profit on this, I'll just divide how much it costs by the number of drivers.

PM me if you are interested. I want it to just open it for EVO Xs, and if I don't get enough drivers, I'll open it up for Porsche Owners Club.