Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

5&A Dime Gumball 3000 Journey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BAHAHAHAHAHAH THE HOFF!!!!!!!!!!!

looks like a great time!

Keep the pics comin!!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dafarmer69
Great job guys. I can't wait for updates.

If you get board on the trip you can build my website. I really like yours.
http://www.thinkdepartment.com/

These guys are the ones who built our website. Really good friends of ours. They can be a little slow, but they have the best attention to detail and do great work.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
Account Disabled

lol I remember reading that Carlton actually races, funny stuff
Old Aug 18, 2008, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor

updates.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 10:14 AM

How much is the entrance fee to that rally? I heard it was like 120k

Last edited by Shady Milkman; Aug 19, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dafarmer69
updates.
Just got back to the U.S. last night. Updates soon. No wi-fi in China.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:55 PM
Former Sponsor

wow, amazing cars, looks like a ton of fun
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shady Milkman
How much is the entrance fee to that rally? I heard it was like 120k
I thought it was like 10k... Wow I'm really off...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by LanEvoGSR03
I thought it was like 10k... Wow I'm really off...
the first few were only 10k but those didnt include planes transporting 120 cars to korea

as the event got more popular they made it bigger and bigger
Old Aug 21, 2008, 01:08 PM

5&A Dime Gumball Day 2

I've got to apologize for the long hiatus between updates, I had no idea just how overwhelming this trip was going to be. I'm sitting in my hotel room in Beijing as the Gumball 3000 Rally winds down on it's final day. I've been trying to reflect on what has happened over the last eight days, but I'm finding it super difficult to gather all my memories. I've managed to see and experience more in a single week than in my entire lifetime. I want to pick up where I last left off on the blog...where was that? Oh yeah...L.A. at the Roosevelt Hotel.

It's Sunday morning, the eighth of August, and we wake up looking forward to seeing all the fam back in SD. We check out then head back to the car to start day 2 of our journey.

On the way out, we bumped into SLB, who was just starting his Gumball trip. Better late then never.

Bombing down the 405 South.

5&A Dime and Rogue Status had the only Japanese cars in the rally. Throughout the entire rally, our 4-Door, 4-cylinder, turbo car with 4 passengers was running with all the big dogs. The Evo kept up with the exotics too, and you could tell it genuinely pissed off quite a few owners.

Then we made our way to the PCH to polish off a nice little breakfast at the Hilton hotel.

This was my pick as the favorite of the event. Ford GT in the Mad Max flat black.

Next stop finds us back in SD and a quick stop off over at the So-Cal Euro show held at Qualcolmm. Troy from Group 5 was one of the guys in charge of the event. He was also one of our sponsors and a huge help with our car. Thanks Troy!

Left to Right: Len, Iron Mike Myself, Phil ( Modern Image) and Troy ( Group 5)

I want to say thanks to Phil for the stickers and for staying up late to finish the car in time.

The new Skyline.. I would love to get this for next years Gumball.. Fingers crossed

The finish for day two was in Downtown SD at the Ivy hotel. We skipped some of the stops alone the way so we were able to come into SD first. We cheated...

Show cars parked outside the Ivy.

Our shop is only half a block from the Ivy, so we thought it would be cool to park the whip outside our store for the day.
We also set up our pop up shop to carry Gumball merch. Darcie and the rest of the gang did a great job putting it all together.

The party for that night was a the roof top of the Ivy. Iron Mike was the party exciter

Our family rolled out to support

The Cuban brothers are FUN and ACTION!... ACTION and FUN!

Aly and Tyson grew up in the Same Neighborhood in New York. They had some serious catching up to do. Peep the Kim Jong-il tee Aly's wearing.

Day two was the shortest day of the event and it was good to get to hang out with the homies in our home town.
SD was in the house! Day three coming soon!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

keep it coming
so how much is it to enter the gumball rally?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red Dragon
keep it coming
so how much is it to enter the gumball rally?
According to Wikipedia: $120,000!

Dang!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 04:24 PM

Gumball 3000 Day 3

Sorry for the long delays guys. I'm swamped with all the work I missed during the trip But here's day 3!

Day three of Gumball 3000 started of right at home at the Ivy Hotel here in San Diego. We walked out in the morning to head over to the Evo and get ready for our trip to Victorville. We were taking the cars to their airport (that no one knows exists) and boarding a jet to Vegas. That night, we'd be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel for the night before our flight to North Korea.

Jackie from Gumball 3000

Start of the third leg out on 7th Ave.

So we get to Victorville Airport, which even locals didn't know existed.

Little did we know, the place was sick. A putting green, movie theatre for us to chill out in, and popcorn while we waited to board the plane.

We got to fly a in one of Mark Cuban's personal planes for most of the trip. The entire thing was pure luxury.

You can never escape security checks.

The spread.

First class all the way

Sheikh Cam Vision

Vegas landing

Britney and her homies from Stussy Vegas helped us out big time. Thanks for the pants and watch.

This French guy got kicked out of the spot for creeping out on a bunch of girls at the Hard Rock.

Day 4 Coming tomorrow. North Korea, here we come!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:17 PM

Gumball Day 4!!! North Korea!!!

It's a bright, sunny day here in Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel and we just got our 6am wake up call. Our party never really ended the night before, and we only got about an hour of rest. We pack up what little belongings we have and start walking torward our shuttle back to the airport. Today marks the beginning of the Asia leg of the Rally. Our first stop in Asia would be North Korea, which we were a little nervous about.

We were exhausted, but it could have been a lot worse. Look at this guy... he was so smashed I was suprised he made it on the bus.

One more round of security.

Loomis (Wildboyz and Jackass) found his seat in the overhead compartment

Our only stop on the flight would be in Alaska to refuel.

mmmmm....Udon noodles with reindeer sausage and shrimp tempura...my favorite. The Alaskan snack bar is pretty awesome. I had to pass on the bowl of Rudolph and find something else to hold me over on our 7 hour flight to China, then North Korea.

Quick plane change in China.

Ryan Dunn and Bam Margera.

Plane ticket on Air Koryo to North Korea.

Last chance for westernized living. We bid aideu to the Colonel.

Some light reading material for the flight.

Little plug for the shop.. Thanks Max

The one and only... and I mean only... Pyongyang airport

Im not sure what they did but it looks serious

They say its the largest stadium in the world and can hold 250,000 people and its home to this years "ARIRANG" Mass Games. For those who don't know, The Mass Games are an enormous celebration with tens of thousands of performers. Unlike the Olympics, the Mass Games emphasize working together as a group, instead of individual competition. They are held on special occasions and Holidays, and mostly emphasize different political propaganda. It is honestly one of the most spectacular and craziest things you could ever see in your life. We weren't quite prepared for what we were about to witness.

The characters you see are being created by 20,000 people holding color cards. The entire half of the stadium across from the viewers was filled with them. This was just a little warm up before the show started.

SD is in the house

See the little heads popping up?

This particular show was dedicated to the "Mass Gymnastic display." That entire portrait is created by all those card holders. It got more insane as the show went on.

So much attention to detail.. You could watch this a hundred times and still not catch everything.

I wasn't too sure about this one...

Here's a couple videos of the day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx_seWvEvv4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4IGx76psYo

After the games, we were treated to dinner. I had no clue what anything was, so I stuck to the bread rolls. Better safe then sorry.

Our room at the Twin Towers hotel. First class....for 1960.

The last thing I looked at before I crashed out. Check out this sweet piece of technology (AM radio/Alarm clock night stand.) North Korea is on the cutting edge when it comes to technology, they may even add a VHS player soon.

North Korea left a huge impression on us. Hardly anyone can ever say they visited the country, let alone be invited to participate in the Mass Games. We set our alarm (kinda looks like a switchboard) and got some rest to get ready for our trip back to Shanghai. Day five on the way

Last edited by Mighty Healthy; Aug 26, 2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:44 PM

OMG thats friggen nice :0. Thats something I would like to do before I die.

Quick Reply: 5&A Dime Gumball 3000 Journey